Small wild trout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small wild trout

Had some time before Spencer's hockey practice today and planned on taking him to Smith creek to catch some big stockers, maybe a slam, but when I mentioned this idea to him, he replied, "nah, I wanna catch small wild trout!"

So, that's what we did. Not many fish, but plenty a good time hiking and splashing, and spooking said trout. We ended up catching two small wild bows and one creek chub, four trees, and a heckuva great afternoon.

We even filtered some stream water for a sip, haha

Then ended up at hockey practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's one heck of a report. That poor kid will know how to read a topo map before he can drive
    The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

That's the plan...
      He already has a love affair with the outdoors and told me this weekend he likes the way maps look..... Lol

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
        That's the plan...
        He already has a love affair with the outdoors and told me this weekend he likes the way maps look..... Lol

That is awesome!!! Future orienteer as a son Splatek16!!! Talk about raising a well rounded young man; nature, hiking, map reading, blue line fishing and then hockey. Keep it up good sir!
        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
          That is awesome!!! Future orienteer as a son Splatek16!!! Talk about raising a well rounded young man; nature, hiking, map reading, blue line fishing and then hockey. Keep it up good sir!

Thanks Phil. I just throw everything at him and see what sticks. The outdoors is part of his DNA

Comment

Awesome post! Looks like a great trip as always.

Comment

I was there on Friday with my kids. (I think I know where this is from your IG post) Not fishing but hiking. I did have my 3 weight with me but didn't get a chance to wet the line. Whenever I go up and fish that creek, the fish are absolutely eager to hit the dry fly to the point where the little fish get annoying. haha

It's awesome that you get your mini-me outdoors. Too many kids get stuck inside in front of screens.
              Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

...the trail looks familiar to me...you and Spencer are both doing a great job...a kid can't get into trouble trout fishing...at least, not the kind you don't want him to experience...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Cheers to the hockey part of this post! Funny, the reason I fish so much now is because I stopped playing hockey. It takes its toll on your body after playing since a young boy like your son. But, I still love it!
                  @glennmau

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
                    Cheers to the hockey part of this post! Funny, the reason I fish so much now is because I stopped playing hockey. It takes its toll on your body after playing since a young boy like your son. But, I still love it!

Haha for sure, I played thru college, my shoulders are crushed.

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                      Haha for sure, I played thru college, my shoulders are crushed.

Ha, man that must be a sore day after fishing.

My knees are my weak spot. Always thought my dad (who played his whole young life too) was just being a wuss. Turns out I am starting to have very mild effects certain days.
                      @glennmau

Comment

Originally posted by gau16 View Post
                        Ha, man that must be a sore day after fishing.

My knees are my weak spot. Always thought my dad (who played his whole young life too) was just being a wuss. Turns out I am starting to have very mild effects certain days.
                        @gau - i try to stay as fit as possible, mainly so I can keep up with Spencer. That boy never stops moving. But, yeah - the shoulders. I was sort of a goon; being from Philly the "broad street bullies" were my idols. I'm pretty sure for every year I played I led the team in penalty minutes; throwing big hits, knocking people down. It's funny, because spencer came off the ice after a scrimmage at the end of his clinic (it's a Learn to Play program and everyone has just started). I said, "Duuuuude! You almost scored a goal!" with the pride of any father. He replied, "yeah yeah, did you see how many checks I landed?"
                        #facepalm
                        The apple doesn't fall far....

Comment

Ha very cool that your son is following in your footsteps strides.

So Flyers fan?... Sabres here.
                          @glennmau

Comment

Unfortunately, yes, flyers fan.... Ugh
                            Rough start to the season

Comment

Another Flyers fan here.
                              Used to have a 10-game package at the old Spectrum back in the day (early 80's).
                              It's been a rough number of years for the orange and black.

Comment

Working...
                              X