December Blue Line Exploration / Crazy Fishing Story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December Blue Line Exploration / Crazy Fishing Story

Spent more days that I typically would on the water in December exploring and bushwacking some smaller streams with my 3 wt. blue halo. Hit probably ~10 different streams and tried to stay away from stuff that I know gets fished regularly. Great time to get out and enjoy the peace and quiet. Ended up catching some nice fish and even got a native slam one day with a brookie, brown, rainbow and a tiger. Split between dry and nymph takes.

Can't write this post without mentioning the craziest thing that has ever happened to me while fishing, by far. Hiking out after one of my trips, I spotted something about 50 yards ahead of me moving in the trees. It quickly became many things moving in the trees. I had seen some deer earlier in the day but this was no deer. Turned out to be a group of Army Rangers in the middle of a training mission decked out in full tactical get ups with 50 cals and assault rifles. I am lucky my waders did not become an outhouse! They seemed to get a kick out of it but I was quite confused. There is a base proximate to where I was fishing but they were definitely on public land.

Some photos attached.
    Last edited by Skeezix; 04-23-18, 08:28 AM.
    "If we admit that life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed."
    IG: joeybooks

Few more pics

A few more pics including the Tiger which was a major surprise.
    Last edited by Skeezix; 04-23-18, 08:28 AM.
    "If we admit that life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed."
    IG: joeybooks

Comment

HOLY CRAP!!! That streamborn Tiger Trout may be the most colored up one I have ever seen!!! You caught a unicorn!!! Even though it is not huge I would want to get a mount of that.
      #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
      -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
      -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
      -PH

Comment

Totally, totally awesome. Fantastic pics. That tiger is gorgeous!

What sort of effect did you put on the stream/forest pic? Looks like a painting.
        I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
        -Lefty Kreh

Comment

Awesome! That tiger trout is gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations. Truly special.

I would trade a 30 inch brown for that in a heartbeat, no questions asked.
            I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Amazing fish! Mountain phase of ranger school is a bear.
              minimumexposure on IG

Comment

Beautiful fish!!!!
                You can bump into the Ranger students in a pretty wide area up there and a few days each class on Yonah. Sneak them a couple of snickers bars and you will have a friend for life. Vancheesy is correct, mountain phase flat out sucks particularly in winter. I only had one encounter with an angler for a couple of minutes. I was hoping he would catch one and somehow give it to me and I could figure out a way to eat it without getting caught.
                (Don't really offer the students food, they'll get kicked out of the school)
                THEY TRIED TO BURY US BUT THEY DID NOT KNOW WE WERE SEEDS

Comment

Thanks for sharing Skeez. Incredible pictures that one of the river looks like a painting. Better army rangers than the mountain militia I always say.
                  We are the music-makers,
                  And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                  Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                  And sitting by desolate streams;
                  World losers and world forsakers,
                  On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

I've come across them there while fishing also. I gave them a can of dip because I knew they'd be craving it! If you spend time in the NF there, you'll find the old mock vehicles they made of sheet metal. I quit hunting there years ago because it seemed like every hilltop too and ridge top I climbed had machine fun links and blanks from mock ambushes. I never could know if they had been shooting up my hunting spots the day or week before! I also found an old Budweiser low alcolhol can in a creek bottom there. It was probably from the 70's, and had "For Military Use Only" stamped on the lid. Thought that was pretty cool!
                    Great write up and pics! That tiger is something else!!!

Comment

Great report
                      That tiger!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I wasn't so old and wussified and wanted to make a trip like this, a terrific winter trip by any measure - AND YOU CAUGHT A TIGER!
                        RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

I am guessing that every Ranger in the forest knew where you were when you caught the tiger. I know that I would be yelling my head off and doing all kinds of happy dances.

Comment

Awesome post. Thanks for sharing. Your pics are beauties and that tiger is amazing.
                            @glennmau

Comment

Great post and beautiful tiger. The wind rips thru that valley, so it is a real booger to fish this time of year. I admire your dedication...because I wouldn't be up there right now

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk
                              The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Working...
                              X