http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dukes Rainbow on Steroids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dukes Rainbow on Steroids

    Vance and I were fortunate enough to be able to fish Dukes New Years Eve. Finally getting around to uploading a small video. Congrats to Vance for catching his personal best. It was just over 20 degrees when we entered the water and we were fishing the treacherous section 4 which isn't for the faint of heart. I think I am getting too old for section 4 lol. Anyway, it was cold but we still had a blast. We didn't catch big numbers but we did catch a couple nice uns. Here is a short video. The rainbow I caught on the video was all jacked up on mountain dew or something. He refused to submit! Strong as an ox. Good way to put an end to 2017. Nice fishing with you Vance.


    VIDEO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dblB8IxkMxE
    I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.


    ------Team Norvise------
    sigpic

  • #2
    Nice video, nice fish!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Prowler View Post
      It was just over 20 degrees when we entered the water and we were fishing the treacherous section 4 which isn't for the faint of heart.

      Pulling in a few quality fish like those will make you all but forget about the temp...nicely done!



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        It was a blast as is every trip we have. Although we didn't accomplish what we set out for it was (for me at least) the most successful trip I've had when you take in account the weather we braved and the terrain, the hard work payed off. I think I may have finally broken the curse and look forward to many more adventures in the future.
        It's the little things that get us through the day, like where am I gonna fish this weekend?

        Comment


        • #5
          Prowler, great video. Congrats on finishing the year on a high note! 20 degrees, wow, too cold for me, but good for you guys. Congrats to Vance on breaking the curse. Maybe one of these days I can break the curse of Dukes. I have not fished section 4, but I intend to. Again, as always a great video.
          "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

          Comment


          • #6
            I’m getting curious about Dukes. I believe I have a way to fish there in my style but follow the regs. Would y’all recommend trying to schedule in a weekday vs weekend as I’m sure they are booked out?
            I’m blaming all of this on Prowler and his good videos. Nice fish guys!
            #JBNavy

            "Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

            ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
            -Norman Maclean

            "We are what we hunt."
            -PH

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
              Iím getting curious about Dukes. I believe I have a way to fish there in my style but follow the regs. Would yíall recommend trying to schedule in a weekday vs weekend as Iím sure they are booked out?
              Iím blaming all of this on Prowler and his good videos. Nice fish guys!
              Phil weekday would probably be easier but I've had good success walking on and taking a spot of a no show. I've been able to walk on the last four times I've tried.
              I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.


              ------Team Norvise------
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Awesome video and fish. I'm heading to Duke's this Sunday, the 21st, for the first time. Any tips on what they are going after. I was told black zebra midges, rainbow warriors, and red zebra midges are working best up there at this time. Thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                  Phil weekday would probably be easier but I've had good success walking on and taking a spot of a no show. I've been able to walk on the last four times I've tried.
                  That is really good to know! Thanks for the heads up Kevin! I keep reading up on section 4 but I had someone mention that the section downstream of that in the gorge has a bunch of wild bows and some big browns that have gotten washed down. You ever venture down that way as well?
                  #JBNavy

                  "Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                  -Chinese Proverb

                  ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
                  -Norman Maclean

                  "We are what we hunt."
                  -PH

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pacollier View Post
                    Awesome video and fish. I'm heading to Duke's this Sunday, the 21st, for the first time. Any tips on what they are going after. I was told black zebra midges, rainbow warriors, and red zebra midges are working best up there at this time. Thanks.


                    Iím going this coming Saturday so Iím curious as well. When I went back in November, red and olive zebra midges were working. Wouldnít touch a black body midge. Seemed to be more receptive to black beads rather than the shiny silver ones. I was told bubble back midges were fooling them pretty well...


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I normally go big and ugly myself fishing leeches and girdle bugs. I carry them with and without beads so i can fish them in different depths. As far as nymphs, I've had success on small frenchies and a hot butt pheasant tail variation I tie. I've also done well with squirmies and small eggs but it's hard to beat a good ole girdle bug or black mohair leech so I always have one of them on but I am normally euro nymphing. I know a lot of guys do well dry dropping and fishing nothing but small stuff but I go with what works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I will say that I go with all natural colors and no flash. I also normally fish black beads instead of gold, silver or copper. This is just my .02 and what works for me.
                      I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.


                      ------Team Norvise------
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jfgros01 View Post
                        Iím going this coming Saturday so Iím curious as well. When I went back in November, red and olive zebra midges were working. Wouldnít touch a black body midge. Seemed to be more receptive to black beads rather than the shiny silver ones. I was told bubble back midges were fooling them pretty well...


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Thanks. Goodluck this Saturday. Weather looks like it is shaping up for a nice weekend.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                          I normally go big and ugly myself fishing leeches and girdle bugs. I carry them with and without beads so i can fish them in different depths. As far as nymphs, I've had success on small frenchies and a hot butt pheasant tail variation I tie. I've also done well with squirmies and small eggs but it's hard to beat a good ole girdle bug or black mohair leech so I always have one of them on but I am normally euro nymphing. I know a lot of guys do well dry dropping and fishing nothing but small stuff but I go with what works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I will say that I go with all natural colors and no flash. I also normally fish black beads instead of gold, silver or copper. This is just my .02 and what works for me.
                          Thanks, yea I have heard both depending on how clear the water is that day. Thanks for the advice. Will have to give those a try as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                            That is really good to know! Thanks for the heads up Kevin! I keep reading up on section 4 but I had someone mention that the section downstream of that in the gorge has a bunch of wild bows and some big browns that have gotten washed down. You ever venture down that way as well?
                            Section 4 is the most downstream section. From what I understand Section 4 is Shackelford Road to right past where Alabama branch comes in(Cathy Ellis trail and waterfall). Section 3 is covered bridge to Shackelford. Section 2 is just past the beehives(near road) walking trail to creek to covered bridge. Section 1 is rope across stream about 1/2 mile from cabins to checkin.

                            http://explore.gastateparks.org/cont...ds-sitemap.pdf

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              We did really well up there early this month on section 1, and pretty much everything in the box was working. Most of our fish were caught on big gross attractor patterns, but my big rainbow at the end of the album took a size 16 rainbow warrior. My advice for Duke’s is basically, don’t buy too much into the hype about how educated those fish are— they’re just fish. Treat them like any other trout you fish for— make careful approaches, nice drifts, and most of all be persistent. I cast to the monster bow all afternoon on and off, and he finally took (probably just to get rid of me)

                              https://m.imgur.com/a/2oTwj
                              Last edited by chuckwould; 01-18-18, 12:09 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X