Chauga River

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chauga River

Recently I heard that the DH section of Chauga River in South Carolina fishes good. I would like to give it a try. Anyone familiar with it? Any information anyone cares to share will be appreciated, best access points, easy to wade, similar to what waters in Georgia, etc? Does South Carolina post stocking dates? Thanks in advance for info.
    "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Hills, yes it fishes very good. One of our Mid GA T.U. members has a cabin on it over there. Same bugs/flies as fishing style North GA. No idea on anything else but I will see if I can get ahold of him....will

Comment

Chauga

Karl and Karen at the Chatooga River can give you info on it . Fished it a little last year and it fished well . You do need a SC fishing license .

Comment

Chauga DH is fun to fish. Best accessed by Cassidy Bridge Road. The bridge marks the downstream boundary of the DH. DH continues upstream from the bridge about 3 miles to confluence with Bone Camp Creek. SC stocks year round, but stocks DH more heavily during season. Here's a SCDNR Stocking Summary. I've fished the Chauga only a handful of times, but have always had good luck. It is rarely ever crowded- nothing like the Chatooga DH. Size-wise, I'd compare it to the 'hooch upstream of Helen in the WMA. There are some deep holes, but for the most part its relatively shallow with a good mix of riffles, small pools, and pocket water. As for flies, the usual DH flies always work fine for me. IMO, junk flies seem to remain productive throughout the DH on the Chauga- possibly because it receives far less pressure than the GA and NC DH streams. There are other fishing opportunities on the Chauga other than the DH, but I know very little about other access points. I've only fished non-DH Chauga once at a place known as "Spider Valley." Access was kind of tough and it was in the middle of summer 2 years ago (during the drougt/wildfire atrocities). I only caught one, but it was a wild rainbow so I imagine the headwaters are usually fairly productive under better conditions. You might try contacting the "Chatooga River Fly Shop" for better information. They guide on the Chauga and Chatooga year-round, so they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Comment

The Chauga is freaking awesome. Far and away my favorite DH.
          I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Chauga has not been fishing very well this year. Better off trying the Ami.

Comment

Originally posted by andymoore View Post
              Chauga has not been fishing very well this year. Better off trying the Ami.
              Sad to hear.. Haven't been up this year.

What's the problem? Holdover game seemed quite strong the years I've hit it.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I want to give Chauga a try.
                "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Originally posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
                  Thanks everyone. I want to give Chauga a try.
                  Don't let anyone deter you. Even if it isn't fishing well, it's one of the most enjoyable streams I've fished.

I have always had the blessing of good company when I was there. The stream structure has some obvious areas, but there are areas that you can get technical. Pretty as well. Just an enjoyable piece of water success or not.

Comment

There are no fish in Chauga. None. Stay away. LOL!
                    Never to cold to be on the water!

Comment

Let us know how your time on the Chauga goes HILLIS. I've never fished there but if Browniez likes it that much, it must be good.
                      Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

The Chauga is great. I haven't been up there this year either, but I spent a lot of time in college on those waters. Cassidy Bridge is the easiest spot to park and access. You can walk down or up stream and it is easy to navigate on foot. Swing by the Chattooga River Fly Shop and they will tell you every thing you need to know! Super helpful folks.
                        IG: @sham_douglas1

Comment

I should have posted this in the "Beyond Georgia" section as the Chauga is in South Carolina. Anyway, I made it to the Chauga today with a friend. We caught several fish and the river was beautiful. The Chauga is everything it was billed to be. Thanks again everyone for all the intel. I will return! We entered at Cassidy Bridge and caught a few upstream about 100 yards or so from the bridge. We then hiked a really good distance upstream, passing a lot of water that we would like to have fished, but the water was murky and we could not see the bottom, so we passed it up. Also, walked by some fast water that looked difficult to wade, so we passed it up. Finally we found some really nice tail outs and deep holes a good distance upstream from the bridge that produced several more nice size fish. The flies of the day for me were beaded green and reddish eggs. Also, I caught one stripping a black wooly bugger. My friend had a really nice one on a white wooly bugger. Here are pics of some of the fish we caught and pics of the stream.

Last edited by HILLIS LANIER; 02-06-18, 09:35 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Excellent! Glad you enjoyed!

Comment

Sure sounds like you made the right call to get up there HILLIS. Thanks for sharing your report, and pic's!!
                              Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Working...
                              X