GA Secondary Trout Streams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
    If you were to try to get a SABT restocking program going here, how would you go about?
    Go to the Fly Fishing Show today and tomorrow and talk to Carl Riggs or Mack Martin in the TU booth. Try and track down Kevin McGrath who coordinated the TU Back The Brookie program for about a decade. Find Jeff Durniak in the Smithgall Woods/DNR booth. Report back to us what they said.

Have you purchased a brook trout license plate?

Those would be a start.

Originally posted by fishinbub View Post
    They have never worked to put Brook trout in drainages that are secondary trout streams, which was the original point.
    Why waste limited resources when the primary trout streams fail so often.
    If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
      Being relatively new to this whole thing, what do you mean the primary streams fail? Fail to support the fishery, habitat, or fail in some other manner.

To all:
      Also, the chattahoochee-oconee foothills project may be (?) a start toward this, particularly if we had input from fisherman about restoration, conservation, saving of various stream watersheds....
      https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/conf/...d=fseprd514937
      Not sure if all these things are related and there are a lot of various interest groups for the forest ranging from ATV usage to hunting and hiking.

Comment

Go to the Fly Fishing Show today and tomorrow and talk to Carl Riggs or Mack Martin in the TU booth. Try and track down Kevin McGrath who coordinated the TU Back The Brookie program for about a decade. Find Jeff Durniak in the Smithgall Woods/DNR booth. Report back to us what they said.

Those would be a start.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not knocking TU over this. They couldn't put brookies in these streams if they wanted to. 25 years ago, brookie restoration projects consisted of a technician carrying a minnow bucket full of brookies over the ridge and dumping them in the creek. Those days are long gone. It's a serious undertaking to jump thru the hoops and make it happen

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk
        The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Hey Jakkbauer,
          Cohutta Chapter of TU meets on the fourth Tuesdays of the month at Hudsons Grill near Town Center. You are welcome to come. We are involved with three stream projects this year. They are Raccoon Creek, Lovinggood Creek and I forgot the third one.
          Mike
          Cohutta Chapter of Trout Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
            Being relatively new to this whole thing, what do you mean the primary streams fail? Fail to support the fishery, habitat, or fail in some other manner.

To all:
            Also, the chattahoochee-oconee foothills project may be (?) a start toward this, particularly if we had input from fisherman about restoration, conservation, saving of various stream watersheds....
            Not sure if all these things are related and there are a lot of various interest groups for the forest ranging from ATV usage to hunting and hiking.
            Thanks for sharing this ... there is a lot in here.

Regarding the fisheries, I don't exactly know the answer to your question, but ... I think of it this way.

Draw a line up the Appalachians from Rome, Georgia to say Caribou, Maine. Widen the line into a bar by ~ 50 miles on each side, and now draw latitude lines across your Appalachian diagonal. The latitude interval doesn't matter too much, but make it reasonably discrete.

Now imagine a histogram. Y axis is 'summed numbers of trout' and X axis are the latitude lines you just drew. Say the Y even sums between the latitude lines. This histogram will mostly be a diagonal upwards, with Rome, GA containing 0 trout, a dramatic slope upwards to somewhere like Harpers Ferry WV, then sloping upwards at a much slower rate, and mostly flat from the Catskills to Maine, where the trout habitat is mostly steady and year-round.

Back to us - the North Georgia mountains are the first histogram bar that is not zero. This deep in the tails of that distribution, small events or variations are crazily impactful; compared to farther north, our trout are clinging to the edge of the cliff above the abyss, more or less, and seen through this lens, events like the Waters Creek poaching or development north of Dawson cause decades of negative impact.

Draw a map of north Georgia in pencil and color in the trout habitat with a striking color - it will look like islands, and as you have spent time in those islands, you will note their dissimilarity to the surrounding area.

This is a long way of describing why people are so quiet about where to find specks, or trout at all, why small streams aren't named, and so on - but here in the tails of that distribution, conservation requires some thought, as if it isn't done 'perfectly', it will be a futile waste of resources.

Interestingly, the constraints can also be refashioned into strengths - a few enthusiasts with minnow buckets walking the trails under a full moon can save a stream, too.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Comment

Originally posted by mudrun View Post

Regarding the fisheries, I don't exactly know the answer to your question, but ... I think of it this way.

Draw a line up the Appalachians from Rome, Georgia to say Caribou, Maine. Widen the line into a bar by ~ 50 miles on each side, and now draw latitude lines across your Appalachian diagonal. The latitude interval doesn't matter too much, but make it reasonably discrete.

Now imagine a histogram. Y axis is 'summed numbers of trout' and X axis are the latitude lines you just drew. Say the Y even sums between the latitude lines. This histogram will mostly be a diagonal upwards, with Rome, GA containing 0 trout, a dramatic slope upwards to somewhere like Harpers Ferry WV, then sloping upwards at a much slower rate, and mostly flat from the Catskills to Maine, where the trout habitat is mostly steady and year-round.

Back to us - the North Georgia mountains are the first histogram bar that is not zero. This deep in the tails of that distribution, small events or variations are crazily impactful; compared to farther north, our trout are clinging to the edge of the cliff above the abyss, more or less, and seen through this lens, events like the Waters Creek poaching or development north of Dawson cause decades of negative impact.

Draw a map of north Georgia in pencil and color in the trout habitat with a striking color - it will look like islands, and as you have spent time in those islands, you will note their dissimilarity to the surrounding area.

This is a long way of describing why people are so quiet about where to find specks, or trout at all, why small streams aren't named, and so on - but here in the tails of that distribution, conservation requires some thought, as if it isn't done 'perfectly', it will be a futile waste of resources.

Interestingly, the constraints can also be refashioned into strengths - a few enthusiasts with minnow buckets walking the trails under a full moon can save a stream, too.

WOW. Really good way of looking at things.
              Thanks!
              I love data!

Comment

Those would be a start.

@EG, I spoke extensively with Carl and Mack at the Spring Fling last year. Carl gave me his card and asked me to email him which I did and I never got a response for some reason or another. I have not met Jeff but plan on talking to him. BOTH my Tacoma and Subaru have a Brookie license plate. I will go speak to these gentlemen today. Thanks for the guidance EG!
                #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                -PH

Comment

And most of this data can be found in a colored map form from the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture web pages!!! http://easternbrooktrout.org/
                  I really enjoyed reading this point of view. I think your analogy of these fish on the precipice of a cliff is accurate. I also totally agree that moonlight minnow buckets are being talked about because it is the elephant in the room. And what a lovely elephant it is!

WOW. Really good way of looking at things.
                  Thanks!
                  I love data!
                  Splatek... when do you want to come jump in a boat and talk and fish?
                  #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                  -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                  -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                  -PH

Comment

And most of this data can be found in a colored map form from the Eastern Brook Trout Joint Venture web pages!!! http://easternbrooktrout.org/
                    I really enjoyed reading this point of view. I think your analogy of these fish on the precipice of a cliff is accurate. I also totally agree that moonlight minnow buckets are being talked about because it is the elephant in the room. And what a lovely elephant it is!
                    You just COMPLETELY blew my mind with this ... I had no idea someone has this around. Oh glorious day. I am pleased to have added something to your day and thank you for adding a whole lot to mine! Going to totally math-nerd out with all of this data, pardon me for a few hours...

I love beautiful elephants and just so you know ... I also love Spartan races, where participants have to perform obstacles such as carrying logs, boulders, or buckets full of rocks (hint) over and through trails (hint) for long periods of time. Carrying buckets of water for several miles into the wilderness sounds like it might be great obstacle race training.

In all seriousness ... given that the habitat is fashioned into 'islands', releasing minnows into an island minimizes the impact on the area outside of the island. Further, trout enthusiasts who know the creeks and trails (and who have likely blue-lined these and stared at the water over a slow peanut butter sandwich on the bank, wondering why exactly there arent fish in so perfect a stream) would have an almost automatic sense of where and when to deploy those sweet little minnows.

As opposed to a large, top-down intervention which has the higher risk of either wasting resources (time, dollars, people, trout) or looking at our islands of habitat as 'one thing' instead of the interesting, distinct, and ultimately individual plots that they are.

Comment

@EG, I spoke extensively with Carl and Mack at the Spring Fling last year. Carl gave me his card and asked me to email him which I did and I never got a response for some reason or another. I have not met Jeff but plan on talking to him. BOTH my Tacoma and Subaru have a Brookie license plate. I will go speak to these gentlemen today. Thanks for the guidance EG!
                      Stopped by the booth to drop off a card reader this morning. Durniak was at the show but not working the booth until tomorrow. Mack Martin was in the Atlanta Fly Fishing School booth as he owns it along with Scott Schwartz. Tell Durniak about your vehicles and he’ll love ya. Those tags have been the best thing for DNR trout fisheries since they wrestled the money away from “the general fund” a couple years ago.

Comment

I'm just arm chairing here, between classes....

I have a feeling Durniak would be writhing in pain at the thought of bucket biologists "stocking" under a full moon... (he's told me that in not so many words).

I wonder if I missed the operational definition of secondary vs. primary streams. I know the OP posted about specific "secondary" streams, but apart from that. If we are talking about Brook trout, sure there need to be some elevation, pH, etc things to think about and I think this is where some science needs to step in. But I was also wondering about so called "fishless" streams/creeks. I've spoken to a few rangers that have told me that electroshocking studies have demonstrated that "x" stream is "fishless." I am always surprised when I hear this, particularly when I am catching fish on another stream in the same wilderness area with what appear, at face value like similar stream habitat and what not. I also wonder about the challenge of producing increased wild brown trout streams. Assume this was something that was going to actually happen and a set of streams were deemed uninhabitable by SABTs, could they not become candidate streams for Brown trout management? I know, I've read in various scientific reports that the RBTs really really seem to like our watersheds, as evidenced by the fact that you can toss a fly in 100's, maybe more, streams in NoGa and catch small wild rainbows very easily.

again, just thinking out loud here...

Comment

I have a feeling Durniak would be writhing in pain at the thought of bucket biologists "stocking" under a full moon... (he's told me that in not so many words).
                          Lol - we need a designated font color for 'just kidding' or 'joking'. Don't want anyone writhing in pain, and based on what little I know, stocking at night wouldn't be ideal for the fish.

I have done stream restoration over the years, mostly in other states - it consisted chiefly of planting wide riparian buffers to account for development in nearby geographies and mitigating the impacts of culverts that were thrown down in quick, thoughtless fashion.

...the difference in those cases being that there were still fish somewhere in those streams, and the idea was to make the different areas healthier for existing fish to migrate to.

As an example, three years ago I went to a creek here in GA that I had last gone to in the 90s. This creek requires either four miles of rough hiking followed by another mile and a half of bushwhacking to get to, or slightly fewer miles of hiking followed by some diabolical and dangerous navigation around a non-trivial waterfall. I took the longer, safer option and came in from the top - and the creek was empty of specks. Where did they go? Temps were right, no development, what happened to them? I concluded it must have been the droughts, but I have never found someone to ask for specifics.

What are the issues with putting specks back in such a creek?

(other than getting a bucket full of minnows to this particular place would require an Acme Co rocket piloted by Wile E Coyote)

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Fear Me View Post
                            Hey Jakkbauer,
                            Cohutta Chapter of TU meets on the fourth Tuesdays of the month at Hudsons Grill near Town Center. You are welcome to come. We are involved with three stream projects this year. They are Raccoon Creek, Lovinggood Creek and I forgot the third one.
                            Mike
                            Mike,
                            Thank you kindly for the invitation! It's just what I needed. Hudson is not 15 minutes from my house, I will certainly try to make the next meeting.

Regards,
                            David Hubbard

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm just arm chairing here, between classes....

I wonder if I missed the operational definition of secondary vs. primary streams. I know the OP posted about specific "secondary" streams, but apart from that. If we are talking about Brook trout, sure there need to be some elevation, pH, etc things to think about and I think this is where some science needs to step in. But I was also wondering about so called "fishless" streams/creeks. I've spoken to a few rangers that have told me that electroshocking studies have demonstrated that "x" stream is "fishless." I am always surprised when I hear this, particularly when I am catching fish on another stream in the same wilderness area with what appear, at face value like similar stream habitat and what not. I also wonder about the challenge of producing increased wild brown trout streams. Assume this was something that was going to actually happen and a set of streams were deemed uninhabitable by SABTs, could they not become candidate streams for Brown trout management? I know, I've read in various scientific reports that the RBTs really really seem to like our watersheds, as evidenced by the fact that you can toss a fly in 100's, maybe more, streams in NoGa and catch small wild rainbows very easily.

again, just thinking out loud here...
                              There's quite a few things taken into consideration when evaluation is done. The ratio of runs to pools, the height of riffles, riparian buffers. Some of this has to do with having enough space for the fish to reproduce and have enough holding territory, some to determine oxygenation, some to determine whether siltation could impede reproduction.

All of this stuff tells you how much work has to be done to make the stream adequate for reproduction, and from there you can decide if it is feasible.

My guess would be these secondary streams would simply require too much research and then renovation for it to make sense but that is just a guess!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
                                The Brookies will need a little redneck creativity in the form of a cooler in the winter, a minnow bucket, and a few buddies. Shhhh. Just our little secret.
                                Carrying buckets of water for several miles into the wilderness sounds like it might be great obstacle race training.
                                Fellas, no need to sneak around in the dark of night. Because of the popularity of brook trout, the DNR will pay you to analyze streams, repair habitat and tote brook trout. They call them interns. If you want to do it for free, they call you TU volunteers.

To all:
                                My anecdotes are several streams I am aware of (I think you know a couple now) that have previously been known to contain brook trout, then did not have brook trout, were then restocked with "as best they know" pure SABT, and end up once again not having any brook trout in them. I learned the new word to me "expirtated" through Back The Brookie activities. Nobody knows exactly why streams sporadically lose their populations but yall have mentioned the main suggested reasons; drought and high temps. I'm not sure siltation is as big a concern with the National Forest fish, but it probably does happen also.

I think that Foothills project has been posted on the message board before. If you want more brook trout in the National Forest, go make those concerns known there, if the comment periods are still available. It's not just about trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X