Smith Creek

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
    Update: Smith was still rolling high this morning, but has come down a bit since yesterday. Might be ok to fish, just prepare accordingly.
    It fishes great when rolling high. Just take your time wading and high stick. It's combat fishing time....

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
      One last question (I'm lying).

Line setup? I bought a 7.5 foot leader today. Attached a tippet ring to it. How much tippet should I add to that?

From what I hear, the creek isn't very deep. Too much leader/tippet sounds impossible to cast on a small creek.
      Use surgeon knot to connect rather than a tippet ring. Don't go over 2X size change meaning if you bought a 5X leader, don't add anything smaller than 7X. As for length, My total length at Smith is usually 12 feet. I high stick quite a bit and fish in the faster water. I usually use 2BB but adjust depending on how the line is reacting.

As for water temps, 58 seems to be the sweet spot.

Comment

Update: Smith was still rolling high this morning, but has come down a bit since yesterday. Might be ok to fish, just prepare accordingly.
        Thanks for the update.
        Originally posted by huntfish View Post
        Use surgeon knot to connect rather than a tippet ring. Don't go over 2X size change meaning if you bought a 5X leader, don't add anything smaller than 7X. As for length, My total length at Smith is usually 12 feet. I high stick quite a bit and fish in the faster water. I usually use 2BB but adjust depending on how the line is reacting.

As for water temps, 58 seems to be the sweet spot.
        I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Comment

Apparently supposed to be some showers tonight.

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/...n=localwx_hour

Something like a total of 0.06 inches of rain inbetween 9pm and 3am.

How bad is this?

Comment

New update: smith creek is just high enough and colored enough that, if we don't get much rain tonight, the levels should be perfect on Thursday. But, if we get another gully washer tonight, it'll be high and mighty.

Comment

New update: smith creek is just high enough and colored enough that, if we don't get much rain tonight, the levels should be perfect on Thursday. But, if we get another gully washer tonight, it'll be high and mighty.
              I need to start praying it seems

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
                I need to start praying it seems
                We should always pray!

I'll check again in the morning when I buzz through Helen and try to remember to update you. I go through there about 7:30am, and will try to update ASAP.

I'll PM you my cell number, feel free to txt in case I forget.

Comment

I guess I have another question. Gotta fit them all in before I go.

How is the creek above the lake? Worth a visit? Stocked at this time of year?

Comment

I wouldn't go, it's not stocked during this time of the year and the water is pretty marginal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
                      I wouldn't go, it's not stocked during this time of the year and the water is pretty marginal
                      Gotcha! I'm been trying to note other creeks in the area. Quite a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        X2. Definitely would rather be below the dam in the DH right now.

Comment

went yesterday. water was high. didn't catch anything until I doubled the amount of weight. i use the tungsten putty.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X