Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smith Creek report.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Smith Creek report.

    Hey guys, after lots of questions and planning, I hit Smith creek. I'll start off by saying that the creek was in decent condition. Sure, the water is high and fast, but there's still good spots to fish with plenty of fish in them.

    Woke up at 4:20 am. Was parked by 7:00 am. First one there. Not that it mattered

    As the day went on, plenty of people around me were catching trout. At least 3 people around me had caught some 30+ fish. Fairly large trout even. The creek was stocked last Thursday.
    I didn't have as much luck.

    While there, fly fishing for the first time, I was able to count at least 7 trout bites where the trout grabbed my fly and I attempted to set the hook. All 7 attempts were weak and I missed/lost all 7 fish. My best set had the fish on for maybe 2-3 seconds before he plopped off. I should include that I wasn't wading as I don't own waders. A few flies were lost today (why are flies so dang expensive?) and a few indicators lost.

    Sure, I couldn't catch any fish, but in general, it was a very good time on the water, and a lot of experience was gained. I enjoyed going beyond that one pond (whatever it's for) and fishing the "less fished" portions of the creek. There's definitely trout all down the creek, though less than upstream I guess. I can definitely admit to a little disappointment, but not too much.

    It's going to be raining for the next few days, so I can't recommend going, but I'd definitely recommend a trip when the weather settles.

    Lumis

  • #2
    Great report.

    I wonder if anyone has an old pair of waders they could part with for cheap...
    I only have one pair, come wet wading season you're welcome to try them, but I'm a little larger than you...
    Lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      Don't shy away from Smith in the rain. One of my best days fishing anywhere was Smith Creek in the rain.
      Waders would definitely help, but are certainly not necessary to catch fish. There are plenty of good fish holding areas that you can high stick from the bank.
      What flies were working? If you are sure you were getting bit and didn't land any fish, work on your hookset. Use a "strip set." Pull the rod tip away from the fish and strip line in at the same time.
      Don't get discouraged. You've done your homework, put in the field work, it will come together!
      BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

      Exodus 29:18
      Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
        Great report.

        I wonder if anyone has an old pair of waders they could part with for cheap...
        I only have one pair, come wet wading season you're welcome to try them, but I'm a little larger than you...
        Lol
        I'm obviously handicapping myself on purpose.
        Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
        Don't shy away from Smith in the rain. One of my best days fishing anywhere was Smith Creek in the rain.
        Waders would definitely help, but are certainly not necessary to catch fish. There are plenty of good fish holding areas that you can high stick from the bank.
        What flies were working? If you are sure you were getting bit and didn't land any fish, work on your hookset. Use a "strip set." Pull the rod tip away from the fish and strip line in at the same time.
        Don't get discouraged. You've done your homework, put in the field work, it will come together!
        I was using a mixture of peach eggs, pheasant tails, hares ears, lightning bugs to get bites.
        I don't think I got any bites on anything else I tried.

        Working on my hook set will definitely come next. I don't plan on repeating this!

        Comment


        • #5
          If you come from bass fishing, be aware of the tendency to over set the hook. I'm often a guilty party myself. Much better to raise the rod tip an inch until you get tight and strip line in as the fish moves towards you.

          I still use my walmart cheapo waders since I mostly wet wade.
          -skunked

          Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

          Comment


          • #6
            Is there different types of wading? Isn't it all "wet" wading?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Lumis View Post
              Is there different types of wading? Isn't it all "wet" wading?
              Aka, I go sans waders. It works well for small streams, notsomuch the other DH streams.
              -skunked

              Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
                Aka, I go sans waders. It works well for small streams, notsomuch the other DH streams.


                In warm weather you could wet wade (no waders) pretty much any stream.
                I've wet waded up to my chest (@streamsidesam will remember) chasing big t around the hooch one day. I try to wet wade at least one day each month. January and February, ✔
                Just make sure the car/truck heater works


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Oh that makes a lot more sense. I guess people just wear a pair of sandals in the warmer months and are good to go?

                  I'm gonna need it to warm up a loooot faster.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Glad you had a fun day at Smith Creek. Keep trying, the hook set will come. Last week I had a great day at Smith, caught a bunch, but when I started out that day I had the same problem, lots of bites but unable to get a good hook set. For some reason my luck changed after an hour or so and I started landing them. I believe the correct way to set the hook is to swipe your line downstream, or snap your wrist downstream, and I kept telling my self to do that, and finally my brain kicked in, or maybe something else happened, but my fortunes did change after a while. I should leave it to others to explain how to set the hook, but I have had this problem on Smith more than once, and most of the time after a while it corrects itself, so keep trying, it will come to you.
                    "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Oh yes, also I wanted to say that I have had a couple of great days at Smith in the rain. In fact possibly one of my best days ever was at Smith in the rain.
                      "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                        In warm weather you could wet wade (no waders) pretty much any stream.
                        I've wet waded up to my chest (@streamsidesam will remember) chasing big t around the hooch one day. I try to wet wade at least one day each month. January and February, ✔
                        Just make sure the car/truck heater works


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


                        Filling your waders doesn’t count as wet wading....


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here's an older picture during high water times at Smiths. Where we are standing is usually dry! It was an excellent day on the water.
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by huntfish View Post
                            Here's an older picture during high water times at Smiths. Where we are standing is usually dry! It was an excellent day on the water.
                            Wow, that is a lot of water for that spot! I like Smith's a lot better on high water.

                            FM
                            The tug is the drug!

                            "Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by huntfish View Post
                              Here's an older picture during high water times at Smiths. Where we are standing is usually dry! It was an excellent day on the water.
                              This picture was Veterans Day, 2009. Major storm blew through the day before, I believe there was over 6 inches of rain that day, We fished Smith the next day. I believe everybody caught fish that day.
                              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

                              Exodus 29:18
                              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X