• Show
Clear All

Oh man, it's starting to get warm in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did my thread just get hijacked?! haha

Comment

Done it.....once

Like you, a number of years ago I was on the same mission. I think I posted about my trip a few years ago. Don't do what I did - bring the right supplies! When I was on my mission, I seem to recall that the trail from the lake following the creek up to the headwaters is heavily used by mountain bikers. I think I saw the trailhead for mountaintown creek once while driving on a FS road up around the headwaters of the Jacks River (I think Jacks River flows north off of that ridge, and Mountaintown starts on the south side of that mountain). In other words, there is another option - though it may be a long hike.
        http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AK Pipeline View Post
          Like you, a number of years ago I was on the same mission. I think I posted about my trip a few years ago. Don't do what I did - bring the right supplies! When I was on my mission, I seem to recall that the trail from the lake following the creek up to the headwaters is heavily used by mountain bikers. I think I saw the trailhead for mountaintown creek once while driving on a FS road up around the headwaters of the Jacks River (I think Jacks River flows north off of that ridge, and Mountaintown starts on the south side of that mountain). In other words, there is another option - though it may be a long hike.
          This is the trailhead at Rich Knob - mountain bikers go down that? Through the gorge? I hope they bring their parachutes...

I have seen lots (relatively speaking) of bikers and distance runners on the Pinhoti trail, which connects Bear Creek and Mountaintown, along its very lengthy stretch. Note that the Tim Homan hiking books were either printed before this section of Pinhoti was laid down or he chose not to document it because he doesn't cover multi-use trails, so a trail or Nat Geo topo map is the better bet.

(although I have noted a recurring, perhaps coincidental, theme of Homan not covering certain trails near sensitive or dangerous things - for example, he doesn't cover the trails that lead to Ellison's Cave - I guess those are multi-use?)

A friend of mine whose family has owned land out this way for generations insists there are other, shorter ways in on public land but I've spent enough time in the Cohutta to be extremely wary about going off trail here, especially so close to so much private land. Guess I like the Conasauga tributaries too much...

Looking forward to this trip report!

Comment

Date Change! Going on the 18th (daughters soccer games are killing my Saturdays). We are going to go to the END of bear creek camp road. I guess this is where the bear creek trail head starts and we are walking east .6 miles to the little stream on the west fork of UMTC and going to follow it down to the structures. I am looking forward to this adventure!

Comment

Well...it was awesome!!! Sooo beautiful! It was surreal knowing I was walking by the structures my dad helped put there all those years ago! It was a very tough 20 min hike up and over to get there. I mean grabbing roots trying to pull myself up, but ever worth it. I hooked one small rainbow and he ran under some cover and left my fly stuck in the sticks. Great Day!

Comment

Good to hear you were able to fulfill one of your dreams Bruce...It does sound like you had an awesome time..Way to go!!
                Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Working...
                X