Tenkara....seriously?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brotherbear View Post
    So you have never read his take on Tenkara.
    Ignorance is bliss
    What's there to read? Everything he's ever written is exactly the same thing. Coffee. Some self-righteous mockery of the materialism of others. Have I mentioned my bamboo fly rods lately? Some warmed over Mark Twain bit he's trying to palm off as his own 'folksy humor.' "One time on the Fork, AK turned to me and said..." I never did catch that fish, but really, isn't it the journey, not the destination? As I drove home in the snow, I realized I was content with the fact that there would be coffee when I got there.

When you read between the lines, a lot of his stories are built around privileged access to ranch and resort fishing, and each story a subtle advertisement for folks that set him up with the freebie. And I get it; that's the business model of the outdoor journalism industry. Gierach isn't uniquely a shill, but he is, professionally, a bit of a shill, and I take that into account. This is a business, an industry, and what you get from industry people is always a little compromised. Celebrity endorsements mean jack all to me.
    Last edited by Dylar; 02-27-18, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iso1600 View Post
      U mad bro?

So I go drop $100 on a badass Japanese tenkara rod, $15 on a spool of level line that will last me over a year of fishing, $6 on tippet, and whatever on flies/etc....
      The quality of that gear, vs what I could get on conventional fly fishing gear for that same investment, is worlds apart.
      I guess you gotta try it to understand? There is not a single rod sold by an American company that compares to a quality Nissin, Suntech, Daiwa, or Shimano (Japanese) rod.
      Buying direct from Japan lowers prices a lot.
      In truth, I just objected to the tone of this post and returned smugness for smugness.

Comment

Man, checked this thread out to see what on earth was being discussed about Tenkara rods that would eat up 4 + pages. Now I know!

Hey Dylar, you must be a freaking blast at parties!
        Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
          In truth, I just objected to the tone of this post and returned smugness for smugness.
          All good, this tenkara thing gets some folks into friendly jabs at each other and this is kind of a running joke with the "u mad bro" comment. I can see how not being able to put this together with some of the other back and forth from these characters could be interpreted as smug but I can assure you it was more of a friendly jest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
            Man, checked this thread out to see what on earth was being discussed about Tenkara rods that would eat up 4 + pages. Now I know!

Hey Dylar, you must be a freaking blast at parties!
            I personally enjoyed his argument and while it was aggressive it was also truthful and well thought out. The only application I can see for it is just to be different, this is not necessarily a bad thing, however tenkara by no means has advantage on a well setup fly rig.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iso1600 View Post
              Everybody either seems to forget, not know, or simply not care to learn anything about tenkara before bad-mouthing it.
              I fish tenkara and traditional rod/reel ("western") fly methods.
              I enjoy both.
              I don't talk smack about gear chuckers, streamer junkies, etc etc. Different strokes like said above.

It is just fishing.

Most of what Americans think is tenkara is *not* tenkara. Just because it's a fixed line rod does not mean it's tenkara.
              Not all tenkara rods are 12+ feet. I have one that is 7ft and change. There are ones that are shorter. THESE are the rods that we talk about taking to a blue line. That 7ft of mine cost me $40, shipped, from Japan. It is a great rod for little native fish. Cost about as much as an Eagle Claw and beater reel.
              My 7' Cortland and Martin 63 combo was $29.95, amortized over the 29 years I've owned it. It will do everything a 7' tenkara setup does and carry 60' of line, plus leader and fly. Most of my fishing on a year in, year out basis is small stream trout fishing. I totally get that a lot of bluelining is just dapping, short roll casts and close range tightlining. But man, most of those creeks find bedrock at some point, and when they do, they open up into long plunge pools that are simultaneously among the best trout habitats in the stream and hard to fish effectively from close range. It might only be 2-3 times a trip, but even on small streams, there are usually a few places where having 30 or 40' in the bag is real handy like.

Comment

Just so y'all know, I take back nothing I said about John Gierach. A friend talked me into reading an anthology (Sex, Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders, I think). He asked me what I thought and I told him all the stories/essays seemed pretty much the same. Same structure. Same basic beats. Same implied conclusions. He insisted that I just hadn't sampled enough of his work, so I hate-read through Trout Bum, Even Brook Trout Get the Blues and Standing in the River Waving a Stick. Nope, still all the same. Fly Fishing Small Streams was the only one I read that didn't feel like a expired horse well-beaten, and the only one that didn't suffocate under the dead weight of coffee philosophizing and AK stories (irrationally, I came out of my encounter with John Gierach's writing with an unreasoning resentment of AK Best).

It's not that I never gave old boy a chance, it's that I gave him a lot of chances and felt like I got scammed by a carney in the end, which I suppose is on me. Still, I take nothing back.
                Last edited by Dylar; 02-27-18, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
                  I was wondering the same and jumped in to see what all the hubbub was about.
                  I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Why Tenkara?

Why Tenkara? The same answer to the question, "should I use a slotted blade or philips head screwdriver?"

And then there is this one:

" .. As for John Gierach.... Sure he can be a fly hippie or snob ..."

Dare you to say that to his face ........ 8- )

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
                      My 7' Cortland and Martin 63 combo was $29.95, amortized over the 29 years I've owned it. It will do everything a 7' tenkara setup does and carry 60' of line, plus leader and fly. Most of my fishing on a year in, year out basis is small stream trout fishing. I totally get that a lot of bluelining is just dapping, short roll casts and close range tightlining. But man, most of those creeks find bedrock at some point, and when they do, they open up into long plunge pools that are simultaneously among the best trout habitats in the stream and hard to fish effectively from close range. It might only be 2-3 times a trip, but even on small streams, there are usually a few places where having 30 or 40' in the bag is real handy like.
                      Have you ever heard of inflation? 30 bucks in 1985 is 70 bucks today.
                      PETA GO HOME!!!

Comment

Now I feel morally obligated to buy one of those 7' Tenkara rods and re-read Geirach's book about boo rods...
                        The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Wow, Tenkara evidently can seriously get some conversation going.....

I like it personally, started mostly for the packability. It is basically a cane pole that you can cast a fly on, ďrealĒ Tenkara folks will never admit that. But it is great for drifting nymphs where I fish, so thatís what I do, sucks for stripping so I use my traditional fishing rods for that when I want to, but usually donít even take another rod (other than another Tenkara rod collapsed down to 18Ē in my pack )

Problem is - the purists in Tenkara spoil it for everyone just like the purists in regular fly fishing do. .

And they certainly get weird when they start bashing each other. Really doesnít bug me, but I donít understand the point, as long as itís legal and ethical, fish what you like just get out and fish.

Comment

Originally posted by baldea View Post
                            I was wondering the same and jumped in to see what all the hubbub was about.
                            I couldnít help but think if the guys complaining about the DH had only been using either Tenkara or a cane pole they probably would have cleaned up and spared us that ponderous thread.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHNKIES View Post
                              Why Tenkara? The same answer to the question, "should I use a slotted blade or philips head screwdriver?"

And then there is this one:

" .. As for John Gierach.... Sure he can be a fly hippie or snob ..."

Dare you to say that to his face ........ 8- )
                              I'll make sure to swing by Colorado the next time I'm in the hood and make a point to ring his doorbell so I can let him know.

I lumped myself into that category as well if you hadn't noticed. We all have our quirks. For instance, I have no problem at all fishing powerbait. I do with some regularity. But I just cannot fish a squirmy, candy corn, or a mop fly. I just. can't. do it. We all have our unreasonable biases, prejudices, or dispositions about certain things. I'm no different.

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
                                ...I grew up in the 50's-60's...every bait store ,(and they were more plentiful back then), had concrete pipes standing on end at the end of the parking spots right in front of the store...filled with various length and size cane poles, (unrigged)...we used to rig them with 8-10 lb mono, a # 4 or 6 Aberdeen hook, and a split shot...with or without a bobber...a little heavy for bream, but you never knew when a big bass or cat might bite...

...I wish I had a nickel for every fish I caught on them...

Blessings!

Jimmy
                                We’d catch tons of bream on dough balls made from white bread...sometimes we’d kill it using small pieces of bacon or fatback. They’d attack it like piranhas. Sometimes we’d cut a bream into chunks for catfish bait. All on a cane pole that only cost a couple of bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X