Tenkara....seriously?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killer Kyle View Post
    Just curious. Why is a Japanese style of minimalist fly fishing becoming so popular here in the U.S.? Most Tenkara fishermen claim to be minimalists, but use expensive graphite telescoping rods. My thinking is that cane poles have been used in America for centuries, and they are as minimalist as it gets. Why spend so much money on a fancy graphite telescoping rod that is minimalist, supposedly, when you can use a tried and true cane pole for the same purpose and in the same way. Where is the benefit? I am curious about cane poles recently, and see it as a far superior option to fancy Tenkara rods. Do you guys and gals have any thoughts on the issue?
    Never thought about it but you exactly right😂

Comment

Originally posted by del Monte chucker View Post
      Have you ever heard of inflation? 30 bucks in 1985 is 70 bucks today.
      Based on the price of Wal-Mart combos, it's $49.95 for the present equivalent.

Comment

And 40 bucks for a good quality tenkara rod.
        PETA GO HOME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by del Monte chucker View Post
          And 40 bucks for a good quality tenkara rod.
          $10 bucks extra for a rod you can, you know, cast? Steal.

Comment

Originally posted by TenkaraCultist
            For $1000, you can get a much higher quality bicycle than any car you could afford for the same amount.
            Yeah, that's about right.

Comment

EPIC thread!

Why people glorify fishing this style when it originated from commercial fishermen in japan is beyond me. Takes the puritanical aspects that these authors try to glorify its ‘minimalist approach’ right out of it for me.
              Yes I’ve tried it. Once was enough for me to know I’d rather cast a 4wt or an 8wt. Nice point/counterpoint discussion; also no need to take it personal from either side. Leave that for the a-hole purists who forget it’s still just fishing. When we happen to attach the words fly- or spin- or ice- ahead of it in a sentence egos tend to blur that perspective.
              I’m happy switching my 4wt reel from my all river rod to the eagle claw and hit a blue line but it still is hard to rival the memories of the old red cane poles from childhood because that was one way I learned to fish! So many ponds, lakes & creeks yielded soooo many good fish with simplicity as a result of them and not due ‘commercial needs’ like tenkara.
              Last edited by Philhutch80; 02-27-18, 11:36 PM.
              #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
              -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
              -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
              -PH

Comment

This past weekend I caught this bass and about 15 crappie on a 30 dollar ultralite combo I bought years ago. I bought it when a friend introduced me to trout fishing shortly after I moved to north Georgia. About a year after buying that ultralite I bought a 3wt setup for 150... I'll say that the ultralite had 6 inches broken off the tip and still out fishes the 3wt.

Tenkara is cool, but when patagucci sells something it inherently carries a "I'm culturally aware to the point that I'll pay to look like a poor person" vibe. But actually buying a poor person rod at Walmart isn't cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
                  This past weekend I caught this bass and about 15 crappie on a 30 dollar ultralite combo I bought years ago. I bought it when a friend introduced me to trout fishing shortly after I moved to north Georgia. About a year after buying that ultralite I bought a 3wt setup for 150... I'll say that the ultralite had 6 inches broken off the tip and still out fishes the 3wt.

Tenkara is cool, but when patagucci sells something it inherently carries a "I'm culturally aware to the point that I'll pay to look like a poor person" vibe. But actually buying a poor person rod at Walmart isn't cool

NAILED IT!!!
                  #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                  -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                  -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                  -PH

Comment

This thread died as fast as it ballooned.

Dylar - I would love to see you, Charlie Sheen and Gary Busey get together for long winded, overtly disgusted rants on things that in the long run really don't matter.

If people on this forum are this polarized about the way others decide to catch their fish, I am really glad we tend to stay away from the discussions that actually impact our society. That would be plain ugly.

Comment

Usually someone has to say "Noontootla" to start a fight like this in the small stream forum...
                      The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

Here's what I've been looking for

telescopic, light rod, that somehow has a diy clip at the end that allows for tightline drifts, but that also allows change in line length, like the old cane pole I remember. I think something like that would be perfect for backwoods Bluelining, personally. I might try and figure this out.

Comment

Originally posted by fishinbub View Post
                          Usually someone has to say "Noontootla" to start a fight like this in the small stream forum...
                          I use Tenkara on the Noontootla....

Comment

In Coming!!!!

I think the Noontootla should be designated as Tenkara only ..............

Comment

Wow! Go Tenkara!! Kind of a sensitive subject for some folks. Personally I love it. I don't think it's for everyone. The Noontootla tenkara only? Ha! it kinda is with all the folks sticking crawlers through the bushes.

Comment

Originally posted by fishinbub View Post
                                Yeah, ive always wondered: Are you or are you not allowed to mention Noontootla in a small stream report?
                                PETA GO HOME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X