No announcement yet.

Tenkara....seriously?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Tenkara works well as a "cross over" or gateway drug for a lot of folks that wouldn't normally carry a full on fly rod rig. Hikers, backpackers, mountain bikers etc.. can have a functioning fly fishing set up on the trail with them. I use it when hiking and doing outdoor photography. I don't even know it's there. Anything to get more folks fly fishing is a good thing! I personally don't like the longer versions and believe a regular fly rod can do a better job when the tenkara rod gets over 9 feet or so. There are versions down to five or six feet that should be better for blue lining. It's kinda like the compound bow versus the long bow shooter. Neither is bad both are good just different.

Comment

Tootlulah has too many people for Tenkara. Fishing next to the road throws off my zen...
      The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

I don't mind tenkara, it is an attractive idea. It's just the pricing that I've initially seen that puts me off. Someone said earlier you can get a setup for basically 30-50 bucks... that is ideal. But it still erks me that at a 30 dollar investment you have an x foot effective range. An ultralite or cheap fly setup seems to be more versatile.

I just see people advertising tenkara as an intro to fishing. I think it's more of a niche aspect of fishing to sell to people who already own a few different rods.
        Basically, too specialized for the beginner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
        -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
          Here's what I've been looking for

telescopic, light rod, that somehow has a diy clip at the end that allows for tightline drifts, but that also allows change in line length, like the old cane pole I remember. I think something like that would be perfect for backwoods Bluelining, personally. I might try and figure this out.

You already have that choice but aren't realizing it. My 4 piece 4# rod for example is perfect for blue lines. Fully loaded it's 7 feet long. When I get into tight spots, I just remove the upper two sections, peel off some extra line, and put the bottom half in my back. I'm now fishing a 3 foot rod and can bow line shoot, cast in tight quarters.

Comment

Good recommendation, huntfish. TFO, for example, makes several 4-piece rods in the ~6'6 to 7'6" range, including a 1-wt.
            "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Originally posted by fishinbub View Post
              Usually someone has to say "Noontootla" to start a fight like this in the small stream forum...
              Apparently Tenkara is the new trigger word here

Comment

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                Simple Goat Herder
                Former NGTO President
                Hall of Fame Member

Comment

I am so glad this thread came along to take the heat off of my special ways of fishing on 20" creeks. Just goes to show how great karma is.

Comment

Buck where'd you find that picture of me?

"I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
                    -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
                      In my experience, Tenkara mostly appeals to hipsters and to n00bs who are seduced by the promise of never having to learn how to actually cast a fly rod. Basically, it's a loser's lunch of marketing hype and shortcuts for people who lack the skill to fly fish.

Canít hate hipsters no more. There are actually sub genres of these folks now especially in fly fishing. I swear at the show, I saw the same duck dynasty, yeti totin, flannel wearing guy and his 60 twins.
                      We are the music-makers,
                      And we are the dreamers of dreams,
                      Wandering by lone sea-breakers
                      And sitting by desolate streams;
                      World losers and world forsakers,
                      On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

We don't need no stinking reel

Comment

As long as youíre doing so legally, who cares how you fish? Getting your panties in a wad over something as trivial as this is laughable. Also who gives a **** what you wear or how you look. Is this high school again?

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Kyle View Post
                              Just curious. Why is a Japanese style of minimalist fly fishing becoming so popular here in the U.S.? Most Tenkara fishermen claim to be minimalists, but use expensive graphite telescoping rods. My thinking is that cane poles have been used in America for centuries, and they are as minimalist as it gets. Why spend so much money on a fancy graphite telescoping rod that is minimalist, supposedly, when you can use a tried and true cane pole for the same purpose and in the same way. Where is the benefit? I am curious about cane poles recently, and see it as a far superior option to fancy Tenkara rods. Do you guys and gals have any thoughts on the issue?
                              Sorry Kyle, in all the excitement did you ever get some answers you were looking for:

For me it fits where/how I fish 80% of time. Here’s why I use compared to say a cane pole, which is what, I believe, you were questioning:

1.) packability, I hike as much as I fish, 2 rods in my pack as I’m bushwacking is far better than two 8’ rods in hand. Takes about 90 secs to extend and add line when I want to fish.

2.) simplicity, like a collapsible cane pole but actually can cast a fly very accurately (if only24’ or so). At that distance I can cast as good as I can Western, but not a cane pole. But yeah, that ain’t far.

3.) is super for drifting nymphs, which is what I do

4.) I just like it

They are realtively pricey, although the ones I use cost $65, I have the means, but am too cheap to pay $200 for any rod.

Also on big open water like Toccoa or Hooch, wouldn’t make as much sense to me, but I’ve done that too, but didn’t work well there for me.

Here’s my hiking/fishing pack, you can tell from the water bottle this isn’t a very big pack. I can fill it with water, snacks, fishing stuff (including two rods) and most of the 10 essentials for a day of exploring and fishing.

Last edited by creeker; 03-02-18, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creeker View Post
                                Sorry Kyle, in all the excitement did you ever get some answers you were looking for:

For me it fits where/how I fish 80% of time. Hereís why I use compared to say a cane pole, which is what, I believe, you were questioning:

1.) packability, I hike as much as I fish, 2 rods in my pack as Iím bushwacking is far better than two 8í rods in hand. Takes about 90 secs to extend and add line when I want to fish.

2.) simplicity, like a collapsible cane pole but actually can cast a fly very accurately (if only24í or so). At that distance I can cast as good as I can Western, but not a cane pole. But yeah, that ainít far.

3.) is super for drifting nymphs, which is what I do

4.) I just like it

They are realtively pricey, although the ones I use cost $65, I have the means, but am too cheap to pay $200 for any rod.

Also on big open water like Toccoa or Hooch, wouldnít make as much sense to me, but Iíve done that too, but didnít work well there for me.

Hereís my hiking/fishing pack, you can tell from the water bottle this isnít a very big pack. I can fill it with water, snacks, fishing stuff (including two rods) and most of the 10 essentials for a day of exploring and fishing.

Why two poles?
                                -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Working...
                                X