Redemption, trophy...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redemption, trophy...

Was going to camp this weekend, but the weather and Spencer's first baseball game got in the way of that. Lol
    I'm assistant coach for a sport I know nothing about. We lost 16-1. Cool thing about kids, they don't seem to mind as long as they get a snack. Hilarious.

Had all day today to myself so I decided to hit a small stream. I had a couple of options, ideas, about where'd I'd go, but then I got to thinking about a trip I took last year. I hiked deep into a stream system, climbed several waterfalls, and ultimately lost a very large wild rainbow. Well, large by wild North Georgia standards, about 13 inches. He broke off while I was trying to photograph him; ended up lodging my stimulator right into my thumb, when I yanked in discomfort I broke the tippet. Losing that fish has haunted me (i might be acting dramatic). Today was about revisiting, possible redemption.... A hunt for redemption.

Packed all the ESSENTIALS for a day on the small stream

The hike in was nice. No rain. Got into several small, typical sized bows:

after several miles hiking, I finally arrived at the first falls, not long now until the second "set" of falls. It's a spot where the stream splits into three. To the left a very small feeder, more like runoff. In the middle, the most challenging falls to overtake, but last year the stream above it held no fish. But the right feeder, that's where I had surprisingly hooked into my lost North Georgia small stream trophy. Today, I overtook the falls-the water was very swift, I was careful, stealthy. The stream is small, but swift here. Width maybe three, four feet at the widest, maybe a few feet deep. In addition to my eagle claw, today I also brought my $7 8 foot "tenkara" / telescoping rod. I looked ahead of me, behind me, it was clear all around. I unraveled the line, extended the rod and flung a bow and arrow cast upstream. I had used the rod a few times already downstream, so it was prerigged. A few casts, nothing. A few more, nada. Then, in my beech cast my dry stalled for just a fraction of a second and I saw a flash under the water, fish on. I could see the flash in the water, I was excitedly nervous.
    It was a big fish and I was immediately concerned this little tenkara rod couldn't handle the fish. Fortunately, the flex tip handled the 6x tippet brilliantly.

That section of rod is roughly 16(ish) inches, for comparison.

Caught him dry dropping on my new pattern that I'm calling the "dirty stripper pole"

Whatta day!
    Feel like this is a true North Georgia small stream trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great report, Steve. The small stream reports have been to few and far between lately.
    Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Nice report and I love the dry dropper name 😂!

Comment

That picture of the fish in your hand shows how big it is! Nice fish!
        _yero on instagram

Comment

Goodness Gracious that is a beast of a streambred bow! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome rainbows, nice job!

Comment

The lack of even coverage with the jelly is disturbing. I see a couple things on that fly that look familiar. Nice fish man.
              http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                The lack of even coverage with the jelly is disturbing....
                lol, Splatek has lost some jelly skills since he's been away from the small wild streams for so long.

Great report. For a small wild N Ga stream, not close to private catch and release water, that is a true trophy rainbow. Consider getting a mount of that one. Congrats on the redemption.
                "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Originally posted by Streamside Sam View Post
                  lol, Splatek has lost some jelly skills since he's been away from the small wild streams for so long.

Great report. For a small wild N Ga stream, not close to private catch and release water, that is a true trophy rainbow. Consider getting a mount of that one. Congrats on the redemption.

I released that fish, how do I mount it?

T, that's hilarious ... Good eye. It was dark, that's my only excuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Previous thread on mounting -

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...ferrerid=30138
                    "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Love it. Great story. Good on you going back for her! Sounds like a perfect day. Those dang wild bows are pretty.
                      @glennmau

Comment

Awesome fish! Congrats.
                        "If we admit that life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed."
                        IG: joeybooks

Comment

Pretty cool for a cane pole caught fish, better story...
                          RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Dang nice fish for anywhere, much less a small stream. The reward for the hard work of scrambling, crawling, and clawing your way to such places, well-deserved.
                            - Jed Green

"I will make you fishers of men" - Christ
                            Bamboo rods, Clear streams, and old Jeeps

Comment

That is a great day fishing, and a stone cold slab of a rainbow! Great report Splatek!

Comment

Working...
                              X