X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amicalola Creek 4/3/18

Link to blog version of report: amicalola-creek-4-3-18

---

Some hours ago, I hit up Amicalola Creek. I had seen posts about, had asked questions about, and have been planing to visit for a while. The weather finally warmed up and the water levels dropped, so I decided I'd finally visit. I was supposed to take the trip with another fly fisher but he got sick.

I left sometime after 6 AM and arrived at the highway 53 bridge sometime before 8 AM. I got myself set up and walked down the nice stairs they built right down to the water. That was when I realized just how big Amicalola Creek truly was. It was fairly comparable to the Chattahoochee in width and some parts were comparable in depth. I was intimidated.

I tried my best to fish without getting in too deep, which was a bit tough. After trying a few pools with no results, I went upstream a little to check out the water and decided I would go try Steele bridge. I drove up the ten or so minutes and got to the Steele bridge parking area. The water here looked much shallower so my hopes went up a bit and I was sure I'd catch a fish soon enough. I first fished the water upstream of the bridge and fished both sides of the little island that was there. I really thought I'd find one there but no luck was had. Tried the water downstream of the bridge and again had no luck. I didn't go too far down as there was a man downstream of me and he happened to be catching fish.

I didn't give up quite there. Fishing both of these bridges was never what I actually went there to do. I had an upstream area in mind and got back in my car. Upon reaching the WMA road I had hoped to fish, I was disappointed to see that the road was closed at that moment. Thankfully, I had one last place in mind. I drove upstream some more and was finally able to find a campground that didn't look like it got too much use. I parked and made my way downstream and met a spin fisherman who had caught a few fish from what he told me. He was leaving so I tried his water with no success. I decided to get in the water and cross the creek and went downstream a bit more until I had found a nice pool curved around a rocky wall. At first, I could get nothing to bite and decided I wasn't getting deep enough so I readjusted the strike indicator.

Immediately after adjusting the depth, I had a fish hooked and the fight became much tougher than any other fish I had experienced before. Of course, I'm not a very good fisherman and lost the fish after a minute or so. Well, I decided to try again and the fish had similar plans. The fight lasted longer this time with him pulling out line and jumping around a few times. As I got him close, he once again vanishes. I grow frustrated with myself for losing him and cast again. The fish had not given up. He was on for the third time and I didn't plan to lose him this time. I tried to play the game carefully and hoped to tire him out, but that didn't seem to be happening. I was eventually able to gain ground and slowly reeled him in but by bit. After a while, he was finally in netting range and I celebrated my first trout of the day.

https://ffnga.files.wordpress.com/20...2825212484.jpg

He was most definitely the most beautiful rainbow I've caught to date. He was after a black holy grail beadhead. When I look back, he isn't a hog, but he definitely had a little weight to him and fought very hard. Maybe I'm being too cautious when it comes to reeling them in?

After giving him a mini photo shoot, I released him and got back to work on the pool. And he bites again. I wasn't surprised at that point and started the fight once again and well, unfortunately, I lost him. Could these have been four different fish? I doubt it.

While adjusting my indicator, I let my line flow downstream and found myself reeling in an accidental fish. Not the prettiest rainbow.

https://ffnga.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/imag2253.jpg

After being unable to catch anything else, I headed downstream a bit by walking through the forest and tried a few more spots before hiking back up to the car. I didn't want to hike too far out alone.

After this, I decided I'd head home. I had done a fair amount of hiking and slept a beautiful two hours the night before. Overall, I enjoyed Amicalola Creek and would definitely fish the upstream portions some more in the future. I wasn't necessarily a fan of the bridge areas however. I think I lack someone with experience who could show me around as I was a bit clueless at times. Something to learn from.

There was one last fish I caught and haven't mentioned yet. A personal best for sure.

https://ffnga.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/imag2240.jpg

---

Thanks for reading and have a great day Now I can finally sleep.
    Last edited by Lumis; 04-04-18, 11:11 AM.

That's a chunky bow! Good stuff Lumis, wonder what stream/river is next on your list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
      That's a chunky bow! Good stuff Lumis, wonder what stream/river is next on your list?
      Thanks. Word on the street hints at some new creeks in north carolina

Comment

Sounds like it'll be a great time! Word travels fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X