No announcement yet.

Back to the beginning. Smith Creek 4/10/18

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Back to the beginning. Smith Creek 4/10/18

    Before reading on, here's a reminder that the NGTO Spring fling is on SATURDAY, APRIL 14TH at the Buford Trout hatchery.
    The fling will include free food and lots of good information to take away. Stop on by!


    Link to blog version of the report, check it out!


    This Tuesday, I went back to where I first started catching trout. The Smith Creek Delayed Harvest.

    When I started fly fishing in early to mid February, I had also joined the NGTO forums. Well, a few days later, I received a email from a guy named Charles, and Charles suggested we go fishing and he could help me out. March came and when we wanted to go, things came up and our trip was pushed back until we finally agreed that we'd go on this Tuesday. He told me that he'd be fishing both Smith Creek and Dukes, so I joined him to fish Smith the day before his Dukes visit.

    We met up at around 8 AM and though he had been there two times previously, I guess he had passed by the upper portion near the dam and I showed him around that area. As usual, my morning curse meant I had trouble catching anything for a while. This time, that while meant three hours, while Charles himself had caught a few.

    I started to catch fish when I happened to talk to a spin fisherman in the area who I happen to see EVERY TIME, yes every time, I go fishing at Smith Creek. He's retired and lives close by. After finding out I had had no luck, he offered me what I assume were Berkley rubber worms. I was hesitant but said why not and pulled out a hook and put them on. I've been trying to stay away from fly fishing with worm-like patterns but I was desperate after three hours of no fish.

    Very soon after I cast, the brook trout that I've been staring at for thirty minutes decides he wants a piece of the worm. I fight him and fail because I left too much slack in my line. He's gone. Soon after, a rainbow bites and I manage to get him into net range. As I'm reaching for my net, he does a little wild dance and manages to go free. I'll count that as a short distance release.. I moved downstream a it and managed to finally land a rainbow. I was happy to finally have broken the 'no fish in net' curse.

    After that, I manage to get another rainbow. These dang worms always work so well.

    Charles and I eventually move downstream and find a nice secluded pool that looks like good fishing. We take turns trying everything we have. I nymph, he throws dries. Then we're eventually both throwing nymphs. We knew they were there. We could see a few large rainbows and brooks sit there and ignore absolutely everything we threw. They were only interested in the current in front of them. Here's a picture of one of the brooks that simply teased us. I had to zoom in quite close to capture a picture of these elusive buggers.

    After trying every fly we could think of for over an hour, we decided they weren't worth the effort and headed downstream. While Charles managed to catch some more trout on dry flies, I was dry once again. He was fishing a bend in the creek and could not land anything, so he made his way upstream. I pulled out the worm. I feel dirty saying it. A was able to quickly catch two fairly quickly.

    After these, Charles was still having a good time at a slightly upstream bend, so I decided to head downstream a good bit and make my way up. The first couple of spots I tried produced nothing. I got to a faster part of the water that I had never fished before and threw the worm in. A few casts later, a big ol' something was on the line and he fought hard. The fish I had last week at Amicalola was hard to reel in due to him swimming downstream, but this guy wanted nothing but to swim upstream. Knowing I'd have to be a bit careful with him, I loosened the drag a bit and he shot upstream very quickly, my reel making that zipping music as he attempted to swim under some logs. I realized what he was doing and tried to stop him and was somehow successful. After a fight, I was able to land a brook trout and was very happy with him.

    He was a fairly large brook, and I tried my best keep him underwater. He was probably exhausted. I took a few pics and released him. Soon after, I snagged my line and lost everything. I decided it was probably time to head out. I met with Charles on my way up and he too was ready to go.

    Upon arriving to my car, I asked Charles about fishing the Chattahoochee in Helen. He told me to follow his car and showed me stretch of the river I could fish and practice dry flies on. He then pulled out boxes of hundreds of flies he had caught and gave me a large number of dry flies and some nymphs. As we know, this means I now have to go try them out. Would be a waste of flies if I did not. I thanked him for the company and flies and we headed out. Charles really loves his dry flies and I don't want to let him down.

    Here a few pictures I took at Smith, for those that like to see pictures of the water itself.

    It's very late, I might have made a few mistakes. Forgive me. Thanks for reading and have a great day
    Last edited by Lumis; 04-13-18, 06:52 PM.