Small Stream Improvement on the 28th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IN CASE YOU CAN'T MAKE LATE JULY

For those that are interested in giving back, but cannot make the date planned here there is another work day this weekend. I know short notice, and I am unable to make this one, because of prior engagements, but the details are pasted below. If anyone makes this event, please post about the experience.

Just a reminder. The Lovinggood creek workday is this Saturday July 14th. We need the Tailwater TU folks to step up to the plate and volunteer! We are a support chapter for this event and need to make a good showing. This is also a great way to get your kids involved with TU! If you haven't signed up yet, don't tarry!
    Gold Rush TU is the lead chapter responsible for this project. Both the Chattahoochee Nantahala Chapter and the Tailwater chapter are support chapters. Goldrush chapter will be providing lunch!
    This is an ongoing project that is really beneficial to the further recovery and improvement of the creek structures and banks! As a supporting chapter we need to make a good showing. The workday begins at 9:00AM. And will finish at noon. Bring your fishing gear! There are a bunch of great native streams nearby along with Lovvingood Creek! To register, so they have a head count, use this link http://goldrushtu.org/event-sign-up/!
    For directions visit. http://goldrushtu.org/wp-content/upl...Restaurant.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
      For those that are interested in giving back, but cannot make the date planned here there is another work day this weekend. I know short notice, and I am unable to make this one, because of prior engagements, but the details are pasted below. If anyone makes this event, please post about the experience.
      At least Superchub and I will be at this stream project representing Tailwater chapter this Saturday. If anybody has questions, PM me and I'll try to help if needed.

Goldrush is a good bunch of folks you can learn a lot from. I see Carl Riggs is signed up, but he signs up for everything.
      If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post

Just a reminder. The Lovinggood creek workday is this Saturday July 14th. We need the Tailwater TU folks to step up to the plate and volunteer! We are a support chapter for this event and need to make a good showing. This is also a great way to get your kids involved with TU! If you haven't signed up yet, don't tarry!
        Gold Rush TU is the lead chapter responsible for this project. Both the Chattahoochee Nantahala Chapter and the Tailwater chapter are support chapters. Goldrush chapter will be providing lunch!
        This is an ongoing project that is really beneficial to the further recovery and improvement of the creek structures and banks! As a supporting chapter we need to make a good showing. The workday begins at 9:00AM. And will finish at noon. Bring your fishing gear! There are a bunch of great native streams nearby along with Lovvingood Creek! To register, so they have a head count, use this link http://goldrushtu.org/event-sign-up/!
        For directions visit. http://goldrushtu.org/wp-content/upl...Restaurant.pdf
        I wish I could make this one but I have a guide trip that day! I helped with this one last year and it was a blast! We encountered a young hellbender and also noticed a native move into one of the structures literally within minutes of completing it.
        "Everyone blows their money on stupid stuff. Just choose which stupid you want and roll with it."

Mark

Comment

Definitely encouraged to see NGTO and TU coming together to make a difference in our streams. Big time thumbs up.
          I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
          -Lefty Kreh

Comment

This is great! I'll definitely be there. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Comment

I should be around that area that weekend. Time permitting I’ll try to stop by and help. I’d like to meet some more of y’all👍👍

Comment

Put my name down. I'm in.....
                I'm just wondering why a work "day" is only three hours though? If we could get some good work done in three hours, imagine what we could do in six.
                What ever happened to a good ol' fashioned eight hour work day?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Kyle View Post
                  Put my name down. I'm in.....
                  I'm just wondering why a work "day" is only three hours though? If we could get some good work done in three hours, imagine what we could do in six.
                  They can't afford to pay us all for full 8, just 3.

Just kidding, it's volunteer for us, of course. And over the years, I think they've (TU/USFS) found that enough of the workforce returns to their normal weekend lives after lunch that's it's just easier planning to figure a morning's effort.

Workdays formerly were planned to include after lunch work too, and in those days it was a little disconcerting to find that a significant portion had left us to finish these four structures alone, or something. Then again, the labor force was often coming from as much as 100 miles, and apparently had soccer games to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Kyle View Post
                    Hehe, old dudes run out of gas after about four hours. Toting logs, slinging picks and shovels, and my most hated work, flinging rocks, take a lot out of folks. Young backs are very welcome indeed.

Originally posted by Upstream View Post
                    Workdays formerly were planned to include after lunch work too, and in those days it was a little disconcerting to find that a significant portion had left us to finish these four structures alone, or something.
                    Yep.
                    If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

If I come, it will be me driving in the night before and camping somewhere, or driving up at 3-4am to make it the morning of... I would not do that if it was an all-day thing. I want to get some fishing in after lol.
                      Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
                        Hehe, old dudes run out of gas after about four hours. Toting logs, slinging picks and shovels, and my most hated work, flinging rocks, take a lot out of folks. Young backs are very welcome indeed.

Yep.
                        I know this may sound totally weird, part of what I do for a living is throwing rocks. Like....the literal, physical act of hurling large rocks. Sometimes one or two hundred of them at a time. I've spent literally entire days doing nothing but throwing rocks.
                        ....and I have to admit....I love that aspect of my job. I look forward to the opportunity when I get to do that. I know it is weird to love throwing rocks. I don't know why I love it, but I do. I'm weird like that. Something primal in me I suppose.

For those of you driving passenger vehicles, you need to ride in a truck, truck bed, or SUV with somebody else when carpooling. Upper Poplar Stump Road is a little rough right now. It hasn't been maintained since August of 2015, and the recent rains have done a number on the road.

Comment

Following. I can't make the 28th but I can make future dates, and I love hauling logs and rocks. I do Spartan and OCR races and lifting lots of real things while knee deep in water is good training. I'll throw rocks until the sun sets.

Comment

Shoot, I may try to make both dates if I can. Haven't been to one of these in years.
                            The first thing scripture tells us about man is that we're made in the image of God. The second thing it says is that man should have dominion over the fishes of the sea.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly

Comment

I'm fairly interested in this. I think I can make it.

Comment

Thank you for the response all of you!

Not only is this going to help some of our streams, but it’s looking like this is going to help connect a lot of us as well. Bring a touch of “fellowship” back as well!
                                I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Working...
                                X