http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Interest in Mountain Biking to Small Stream?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Interest in Mountain Biking to Small Stream?

    Looking for another person(s) to do a day trip into the Cohuttas. (Wed,Thurs,Fri) are the days I have off now. You need to have at least average mountain biking experience ( ability to descend steep rocky terrain). Spoke to a friend who rode the trail last weekend. It is in excellent condition and mostly clear of downed trees. I have been wanting to hit this trail for years and now is the perfect time. Basically descend the trail, stop and fish along the way. PM me for more details.

  • #2
    You forgot to mention the insanely steep ascent out of that hot and steamy poison ivy patch.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm making some assumptions about where you're going but if it's where I'm thinking ... I am betting you want a second party to park a car somewhere north of Gates Chapel precisely so you don't have to climb back up the gorge of doom. That's a diabolically steep and narrow hike with feet, let alone using something that rolls.

      Some beautiful water back there, but have always heard it's not very productive. I fish on the other side of the mountain ridge line when I head this way although you can't take bikes over there (and even if you could, it wouldn't be a great idea as you'd spend 40% of your time lifting it over fallen trees).

      Check the USFS alerts and maps page before you go - JRT trail heads are still closed down, I think. Have fun and post pics!

      Comment


      • #4
        Water may be a bit on the warm side there at the moment...
        -skunked

        Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

        Comment


        • #5
          Going to recon it tomorrow. No fishing just MTBing. I'll post pics when I get back.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds like a lot of fun! When your done, post some pics of the ride and the fish!

            Comment


            • #7
              Take a thermometer, please, and report back!

              Comment


              • #8
                Be aware..... mountain bikes are allowed not in Federally-designated Wilderness Areas.

                Keep your rod tip out of the wheel spokes!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by random_lengths View Post
                  Be aware..... mountain bikes are allowed not in Federally-designated Wilderness Areas.

                  Keep your rod tip out of the wheel spokes!
                  BINGO

                  https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-bef...ountain-biking

                  this is akin to using scented bait like GULP! on a wild stream. It's against the rules.

                  There are those who are working to change it, there are those who argue against it, but thems the rules currently in place, at the federal level.

                  I don't think I've ever been up there this late in the summer, I would be VERY curious about water levels and temps.
                  Resident Tenkara Nerd

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I thought bikes weren't allowed on the trails as well.

                    I am also a mountain biker and have backpacked the Cohutta a number of times. I think it would be a lot more fun to hike in then fish not having to worry about moving your bike from hole to hole and stream crossing after stream crossings.

                    I am not a hunter but I think hunting season starts pretty soon so if you're going to be whizzing around in the woods where people are hunting, make sure you wear your orange.
                    Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

                    Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

                    Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ChaChung View Post

                      I am not a hunter but I think hunting season starts pretty soon so if you're going to be whizzing around in the woods where people are hunting, make sure you wear your orange.
                      Good point. Bow season starts tomorrow in most places, so you guys stay safe in the woods.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by iso1600 View Post
                        BINGO

                        https://www.fs.fed.us/visit/know-bef...ountain-biking

                        this is akin to using scented bait like GULP! on a wild stream. It's against the rules.

                        There are those who are working to change it, there are those who argue against it, but thems the rules currently in place, at the federal level.

                        I don't think I've ever been up there this late in the summer, I would be VERY curious about water levels and temps.
                        GULP! where its legal might as well be cheating. I'm pretty sure every PB i've got besides catfish was on a gulp minnow. it burns me up when I see someone throwing it during DH.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          This trail is NOT in the "Wilderness" area. Mountain Bikes are allowed. It is seldom ridden due to the remote location of the trail head. I rode it today. Water temps where in the mid to upper 50's. I'll post pics later. Too tired! And have to get the 10000 spider webs off of me. 20 miles of riding and 2000 feet of climbing. I will say this the streams looked better than expected.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            While bikes are forbidden in the Cohutta Wilderness proper, bikes are permitted on select trails east and south of the FS roads between Potatopatch and the various JRT-area trailheads. The Nat Geo topo map shows the trails specifically, but I have a few mountain biker friends, and there's only one trail up that way they speak of with a mixture of reverence, awe, and fear that also runs past a creek; as I mentioned earlier, it has a crazy narrow and steep gorge in the middle of it and I can't believe they go down it on something wheeled.

                            I'm stunned the water temps were in the 50s... wonder what the temps are on the other side of the ridge? It's some beautiful water... never had much luck there catching trout, though.

                            DaddySteve, glad to hear you made it down without injury and that you had a good ride! Would love to see your pics...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DaddySteve View Post
                              This trail is NOT in the "Wilderness" area. Mountain Bikes are allowed. It is seldom ridden due to the remote location of the trail head. I rode it today. Water temps where in the mid to upper 50's. I'll post pics later. Too tired! And have to get the 10000 spider webs off of me. 20 miles of riding and 2000 feet of climbing. I will say this the streams looked better than expected.
                              Mid to upper 50's - thats about 15 degrees less that I would have guessed. Were you checking temp right where it bubbled out of the mountain?!

                              If thats the case for Conasauga proper, that is great.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X