Moccasin Creek State Park

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moccasin Creek State Park

For those of you of a particular age and looking for a place to fish... I fished Moccasin Creek in the park today. There are plenty of fish there. Today, they were feeding on dries. Nothing else seemed to work. Several people spinning were not having any luck, with live bait or lures, but the fish were there, lots of them. I caught several on a variety of dries including a Royal Wulff, small black beetle, flying ant, and a tan elk hair caddis. Caught a few on other dries that I can't remember. Here are a few pics of some of the browns I caught.

"Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

I am getting closer by the minute. Be a great place to teach my grandson in 4 more years
    Catch the energy
    Release the potential

Comment

Beautiful fish! Looks like you had a great day!! For folks who haven't yet reached that magical age, there's some decent fishing in the creek above the park, as well. You may just have to put up with waterfall tourists and the occasional "I've only seen flyfishing on tv" comments!
      Stop by for a visit! www.TheSuburbanAngler.com

Comment

Thanks for the report and the photos of these good looking browns!

Question: Can an under 65 adult fish at this area of the park with a child if you are teaching them to fish and "wade?"

Comment

...haven't fished there, but I qualify...is there a pier / dock, or just bank fishing and wading...?

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

There are several piers and docks in the park. As for fishing the creek outside the park, I have fished in the creek above the park between the water falls and the bridge, and I have seen spinners pulling them in left and right there. I have often wondered if Moccasin Creek can be waded and fished outside the park and above the water falls, and if so how the fishing is there. And, in answer to the question about fishing with your kid, I understand it is ok for an adult under 65 to assist a kid fishing, but not sure that means the adult can fish. As for wading, unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint with regards to this particular stream wading is not allowed in the park. As wading is not allowed and there are a lot of trees along the stream it is somewhat difficult to fly fish there. Most fishermen there are spinners. Regardless I have found room to cast a fly line, and of course you can lob your fly. Moccasin Creek State Park phone number is 706-947-3194.
            "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Working...
            X