Trouble in Suches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in Suches

Howdy yíall, donít post much on here mostly because I donít know enough to but Iím sure some of yíall have ran into me on the water somewhere because I fish every weekend I can! Mostly like the mountains streams and lately Iíve been searching for good blueline streams (not much success) but that was a good thing today.

My buddy and I started off meeting up at Chick-fil-A to get our grub on before our big day on the water. It was the first time weíve fished together in a couple years so I was pumped! We talked about going bluelining earlier in the week but decided against it because we had to get back and watch football (priorities). We downed our chicken biscuits and hash browns in record time and jumped in the truck, pointed north and off we went.

Got on the stream around 8:30 or so and immediately got hooked up on some stockers, my buddy broke in his brand new rod and new (to him) old Martin reel. We fished for about 3 hours and had about 10 to hand between us. Talked to some folks camping and said they did great at another stream just up the road the day before so we decided to check it out.

Got to the stream and scoped out a couple good spots then hit the water, Iíve fished there years ago and remember there were quite a few sucker fish but holy cannoli I must have saw hundreds scooting around by my feet. We got on some more while fishing a hopper with a hares ear/rainbow warrior beneath it, they were mainly in the current or just off to the side.

Got a little ways up and came to a deep pool so I started throwing my nymph in and was waiting for something to grab it, caught a couple then went to turn around and see where my buddy was.

Thatís when it happened, stubbed the toe of my boot on a rock and decided I was going down, so being the smart man I am I decided to just drop to my knees instead of gettin all wet. Well that wasnít a good idea, I fell to my knee and got all wet anyhow so I made my way back up to my feet and started to assess the damage. My legs hurt as they normally do when you fall on rocks but after about 30 seconds or so I looked down and my pants were red from my shin down and the water around was becoming pink. Rolled up my pant leg and there was a small gash in my shin and it was leaking pretty bad so I stuck my finger in it and it went up to about where my nail stops. Thatís when I decided I need to get out of the water and get some help. My buddy came running up river and saw all the blood so he grabbed my rod and helped me up. I took off my belt and put it around my leg (panicking a little) and headed to the road.

We bushwhacked profusely for what seemed like forever and finally made it to the road. I was relieved but knew we must have been a mile or so away from the truck but thankfully we heard a truck coming so we asked for a ride, jumped in and he hauled a**. We got to the truck in a couple minutes, but before I could thank the man, he asked how the fishing was before I cut my leg open, told him it was good but the fish werenít big enough to stick around, he got a pretty good laugh out of it. Anyway I got my FAK out, propped my leg up on the tailgate and started to rinse it with water, it was still coming out pretty good. Luckily I had everything I needed in there so we sterilized it, put some pressure on it and taped it up pretty tight. I changed clothes as my buddy packed up all out gear. He asked if I wanted him to drive and I decided it wasnít a good time to teach him stick so we jumped in and tool off. Of course we didnít have any service so we couldnít look up the closest clinic so we just headed home, I live in Cumming so I stopped at a clinic in Dawsonville, they stitched me up and took some x-rays. Fortunately nothing was broken or fractured.

I donít know if this is the right section or not but I wanted to make this post to just remind people how easy it is for something to go wrong while simply enjoying your day on the water. I was lucky I had made my own first aid kit a while back and stuck it in the truck (currently making one to put in my fishing pack). Iím also glad I wasnít alone, it would have been much worse in my opinion. It can happen anywhere at anytime and now I realize that, you just have to be prepared.

Below are a couple pics of the fish we brought to hand, canít wait to get back on the water already.

-Griff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it only takes a second for things to go from fun to "oh fudge"! I added a very loud whistle to my lanyard many years back to aid in calling for help in situations like this. Glad things turned out OK for you. As they say, it could have been a lot worse!
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

This reminds me I need to update my first aid situation.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Glad you made it out alright. How many stitches they stick in you?
      "I don't hate trout fishing, just the people who trout fish."
      -Our friend Nam, but secretly Ret

"Stop Whining"

Comment

Glad it was not worse. Good that nothing was broken and you had first aid in the truck. That is a good I idea to take it in your pack or vest while you are fishing also from something like this. You are right it can go from a good day to serious in a split second.

Comment

Man. Glad you're ok. I tend to fish alone a lot and things can go wrong really quickly and if no one's around help, it can be a worse situation. Glad you had your buddy with you.
          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Glad you're ok. Getting gashed in a creek like that scares the pee out of me. So many people these days that have lost hands, arms and legs to flesh eating bacteria from a cut while in a creek and even a swimming pool. I would say at least add some peroxide to your kit and use it liberally and immediately on any cut you get around water.

Comment

Originally posted by troutbum69 View Post
              This reminds me I need to update my first aid situation.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Glad you made it out alright. How many stitches they stick in you?

Only got three and I fish by myself most the time these days, the girlfriend comes with a good bit but a new rule is anyone who comes with me has to know how to drive manual. Along with having my first aid kit with me at all times, especially alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just another reason for a wading staff. I use my Folstaff when I'm on stream. It may get in the way at times, but it has helped keep my fat self from taking some nasty spills. Jack mentioned flesh eating bacteria, it's some deadly stuff. And for our older folks, and maybe some not older, if you take blood thinners for blood pressure or heart conditions, keep some compression dressings handy. Bleeding badly from just a minor cut can shorten a trip real quick.
                BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
                  Just another reason for a wading staff. I use my Folstaff when I'm on stream. It may get in the way at times, but it has helped keep my fat self from taking some nasty spills. Jack mentioned flesh eating bacteria, it's some deadly stuff. And for our older folks, and maybe some not older, if you take blood thinners for blood pressure or heart conditions, keep some compression dressings handy. Bleeding badly from just a minor cut can shorten a trip real quick.
                  Great advise. My father in law are suppose to go fishing Sunday. He fell like 5 times last time we went. He bought a wading staff to take this time. Hope it helps. It would suck for him to fall getting cut with diabetes and blood thinners.

Comment

Here is a story about Ga resident Aimee Copeland who fell from a zip line into the Little Tallapoosa River and contracted flesh eating bacteria in a cut which took her limbs.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/flesh...bUyB19MMYUUFL/

Comment

Wow. Good thing you had a buddy with you.

I usually fish alone. I have spent many years backpacking and solo backpacking so I do my best to be prepared for the unexpected.

I carry this in my fishing vest. 10 Ounces.

Here is what it is. an LED small flashlight. A plastic orange/chrome emergency blanket(warmth/shelter and bright so you can be found) a mini bic (fire). Several bandaids - one large and a couple of butterfly type. Antiseptic wipe, Triple antibiotic ointment, Alcohol prep pad, a chapsick rolled up in a few feet of duct tape (i prefer gorilla tape - this is good for bandages, repairs, splints etc) A few feet of paracord (tons of uses) a whistle (signalling) a piece of ferro rod (backup fire)
                      Several rubber bands (tons of uses). A drinking straw filled with vasoline and cotton balls (fire starter). Drinking straw filled with iodine water purification tablets.

About the worse that is going to happen is an injury or you get lost and have to spend the night out. I already carry a pocket knife. In the OP's case - clean the wound, bandaid and then duct tape over that. It doesnt weigh much and cost almost nothing. I carry a similar one when hunting and a different one when hiking. It lives in my fishing vest - I never remover it and then I dont have to remember it. By the way the drinking straws are just sections heated with a lighter and then pinched together. Makes a great waterproof mini holder for just about anything (pills, meds, tinder, etc) and McD's gives them away free.
                      Last edited by ScottD; 10-04-18, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X