First post and Brookies on fly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post and Brookies on fly

Thought Id share my story of my first brook trout with you guys for my first post. I owe Killer Kyle, WesMac and Prowler for helping me catch these fish. They were very helpful with tips and tricks to point me in the right direction. Ive been drooling over brook trout pictures on here for a couple months in anticipation of my birthday trip from the wife to head to North Georgia and camp for the weekend. I talked one of my fly fishing buddies into going with me so Id have a partner. Hes fairly new to fly fishing so I wasnt sure how hed react to such small tight streams but he adapted and had a great time. Although he wasnt able to land a speck he had many on, just wasnt able to keep one stuck. We got to our location and set up camp on Friday and had about 3 hours before dark so headed off to one stream I wasnt sure about. Found an awesome waterfall and soon after climbing it found a nice run that looked likely. Due to thick rhodos I was only able to bow and arrow cast which was a new technique to me. Managed to make a well placed cast under some branches and snag my first Brookie! All within an hour of fishing! I was extatic to say the least. Two photos from 2 different cameras for color. We fished a few more minutes and decided to head back down because it was getting dark quicker then we thought it would and still had to descend the falls. The next morning we decided to explore a different creek that supposedly had some specks atleast in the past. This creek was easier to navigate but had less elevation ris so we ended up fishing what seemed to be a lot of sub par water. Finally in a tiny plunge I found brookie number 2. It was a great fighter despite its size and managed to inhale my dry right out of the froth. I should mention I caught both brook trout on the brookie irresistible that Prowler listed in fly patterns. Despite fishing for another hour on that creek no more fish came to hand. We decided to pack up camp and fish another larger creek on the way out and I managed a final small rainbow to complete the weekend. Had an awesome time and headed back to Alabama that afternoon. Thanks again everyone for the help finding and catching my first brookies, it was a blast! Ill be back to do it again soon I hope!
    Attached Files

It's so amazing to me how different the variation in colors brook trout can have from stream to stream. It's almost like they're two different species some times.
    -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
      It's so amazing to me how different the variation in colors brook trout can have from stream to stream. It's almost like they're two different species some times.

Did you see tyre NC wildlife report that suggested (from DNA) strong genetic drift across streams, even streams tat have similar end waters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
        Did you see tyre NC wildlife report that suggested (from DNA) strong genetic drift across streams, even streams tat have similar end waters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        No, I don't think I have, but it makes sense given the isolated and fractured nature of the current populations. The introduction of northern strain to restore some populations in Georgia I'm sure has only exacerbated the situation.

OP: time to get you a brown!
        -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Yea, I got skunked, I did think it was strange how differently these two looked. Especially how close these two streams are together. After we left I was thinking, crap if Id have gotten a brown id have gotten a birthday slam! Believe it or not Ive never caught a brown trout, despite the fact that the local trout river I fish is supposed to have a decent population of them.

Comment

Nice post! Looks like you had a great time glad to see you go into some brookies.

Comment

Thanks WesMac it was a blast. Wish I could figure out how to post full pictures so you guys could see the details better.

Comment

Good job!
                Pretty fish!!!!!
                "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Comment

Working...
                X