No announcement yet.

Smith DH.. Wow, where have you been all my life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was switching back to and from a natural colored fly with and without a hot spot. Again, should have switched more to other flies be it squirmy or naturals but just had confidence in the two I was using.

But, totally agree with the naturals case AND the staying low, out of sight and slow moving. Because it is so small and the banks usually covered with thick brush, you are in the water a lot. It might seem silly to fish a DH stream like this but I think it paid off it at least one fish for me.
    @glennmau

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Kyle View Post
      Smith can be hit or miss. Gets a lot of fishing pressure, and the fish wise up quickly. I suspect that most people that fish it are from out of town. Those fish are in tight spaces and see the same egg, squirmy, and Y2K patterns all day, every single day.
      Have any of you tried realistic flies like #20 WD-40's or anything like that? #20 BWO nymphs, tiny soft hackles? I suspect that 90% of the people fishing the creek are slinging junk flies like Squirmies, eggs, Y2K's and the like. If you sling the same flies as everybody else, you're slinging those same flies to educated fish that know they look fake as trap. Just food for thought. A soft hackle or a soft hackle PT nymph, a buggy waltz worm, a MH leech, and other oddball patterns are your best friends. Everybody fishes Squirmies, San juans, Y2K's, and eggs. Those patterns are the most basic of the basic starter flies. Fishing squirmies is the same thing as fishing powerbait trout worms that most new trout fishermen fish with on the spinning rod. Everybody in the world fishes those and floggs the water to death with them. Food for thought. When you fish small waters where virtually all fishermen are fishing the same McDonald's happy meal flies, why not try throwing flies that look like the actual food trout reglarly eat?..... Tiny midges and nymphs.
      Good words. I did try some small stuff, sz18 midges, but no real luck. Smallest thing I caught them on was a 16 PT with a hot butt.

Comment

Hi Joe,

I'm the Dave you met out there with my buddy Patrick. My apologies for not being more friendly! I realized after the fact that I wasn't being my normal talkative self, and I regretted it. I had just missed several fish (using the wrong rod) and I was zoned in trying to land my first of the day.

Thanks for the tips you gave us! Every day on the river is a learning experience for me, and I'm glad to get good advice from more experienced fishermen.

Glad you had a great day of fishing!

Comment

Smiths is awesome. DNR keeps putting in good sized fish. Although I didn't see any brooks. I just hope they keep up the law enforcement there. I know in years past the fish suddenly disappeared. Last year I was checked 5 times and I was glad they checked.

BTW, has anyone tried to catch that huge Koi right at the dam?

Comment

Originally posted by NetBoy View Post
            Smiths is awesome. DNR keeps putting in good sized fish. Although I didn't see any brooks. I just hope they keep up the law enforcement there. I know in years past the fish suddenly disappeared. Last year I was checked 5 times and I was glad they checked.

BTW, has anyone tried to catch that huge Koi right at the dam?
            I talked to a guy on Saturday (super nice guy wearing a green unicoi hat) who said that one of his buddies was successful in catching one there at the dam.

Comment

I LOVE Smith DH. I love it even more when they spread the fish all the way down. Great job.

DD F
              Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

Ha, Saw a guy fishing the dam and he was going nuts over the koi.
                @glennmau

Comment

In the early spring, late time emergers has been known to make us dredgers put on dries.

Comment

Working...
                  X