Smith Creek - Thanks Bob!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Creek - Thanks Bob!

Fished Smith Creek yesterday. Skunked up until 2:00 p.m. Put a crystal olive woolly on at 2:00 p.m., given to me by Bob (from Cumming I believe) in the parking lot at noon. Game on for an hour until the woolly disintegrated from all the action. Thanks Bob. Sorry, I can't remember your last name, and did not get your NGTO handle. But, I hope you read this, because I owe you a big thank you for making my day on Smith a good one. Just as you said the trout went wild when you put it on that morning, they went wild when I put it on in the afternoon. Also, caught a few on a green weenie, but by far the best action of the day came on the crystal olive woolly. I believe you said you tied it to imitate a sculpin. Here are a couple of pics of some of the nice chunky Browns I caught.

"Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Nice browns. Did you strip or drift it to get them to bite?

Comment

Those are the best looking stocked browns I've ever seen.
      Great work Hillis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post
        Nice browns. Did you strip or drift it to get them to bite?
        I did both. They seemed to hit at the end of the drift or on the first couple of strips.
        "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
          Those are the best looking stocked browns I've ever seen.
          Great work Hillis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Thanks! Indeed they were nice Browns and all of them put up a good fight. Which brings up a question, do higher quality flies do a better job of keeping the fish from coming unbuttoned. I lost a few before I put Bob's fly on. I do not think I lost any on Bob's fly. I checked and it did not have a barb. Might be a reason for me to invest in more expensive flies or start tying.

Comment

Originally posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
            Which brings up a question, do higher quality flies do a better job of keeping the fish from coming unbuttoned. I lost a few before I put Bob's fly on. I do not think I lost any on Bob's fly. I checked and it did not have a barb.
            Yes. No. Maybe.
            Barbless flies are easier to penetrate and get a hook up with a fish. But a barb helps in the hook not backing out once hooked up. But proper tension and fighting skill can easily increase your odds with landing fish. I mainly tie all of my flies and I try to pay attention to hook gap. I try to use hooks that have larger hook gaps or pay attention to not add too much material on the hook gap side of the fly. Confidence in your fly and yourself play a huge role in fishing success too.

Comment

Groundpounder,

Like you stated above. I wonder like most fishing the quality of hook and width of the gap and sharpness matter with flies.

Bob's flies were probably a better quality hook.

Comment

Working...
              X