New Lake Lanier Record Rainbow??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool history lesson here.
    Yes, lake trout and searun trout can get yuge!
    I just think GA anglers are more striper fans (I mean even our local minor league baseball team is called: The Gwinnett Stripers) and trout are an after thought, to most. The DNR HAS to put the money and stocking and development of stock fish to where the license sales are and where the major angler constituency resides. I read a report not too long ago suggesting that as temps warm, even those wonderful high(ish) elevation mountain streams are going to be warm, likely too warm for anything other than the hardy rainbow trouts that live there now. It might be the case that by the time Spencer is taking his kids fishing, they'll be fishing for high elevation river/stream bass species... haha. He prefers bass fishing anyhow.

Comment

Used to do pretty good fishing for trout at the mouth of Bald Ridge Creek at night 40 years ago. That record rainbow would have had to have travelled an awful long way with a lot of potential detours off the main channel to get to Buford Dam. IMO that long of a trip is unlikely. Just look at the lake map https://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Porta...2005-09-19.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by natureman View Post
        Used to do pretty good fishing for trout at the mouth of Bald Ridge Creek at night 40 years ago. That record rainbow would have had to have travelled an awful long way with a lot of potential detours off the main channel to get to Buford Dam. IMO that long of a trip is unlikely. Just look at the lake map https://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Porta...2005-09-19.pdf
        Well from all accounts it was caught along the east bank park and even the photos from facebook seem to back that up with what is in the background. Given rainbow trouts nature to move around a lot I could see it easily doing that especially if it figured out shad or herring as a food supply and had been chasing them similar to how the stripers do. I do agree though, that is a heckuva long tour of the lake that fish took before it was caught.
        #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
        -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
        -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

Not doubting that it was caught at East Bank. But with approx. 47 miles of Chatt. river channel from Buford Dam/ East Bank area to Belton Bridge, the most northern point on the lake, it sure makes it a mystery how it got there and if there are more of them.
          Last edited by natureman; 03-06-19, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Speaking of traveling fish.Who remembers some years ago, maybe 15 years ago, the Striper invasion of Helen, Ga ? Striper's by the hundreds, maybe the thousands, migrated all the way to Nora Mill Dam in Helen. That's the Unicoi Outfitters Nacoochee Bend section. Jimmy Harris told me he and the guides caught hundreds of them behind the shop. Last word I had about it with him was that DNR was coming to take some scale samples for a DNA study to see if there was a strong migratory bent in these particular fish. I don't know what they did to stop it but never heard of it happening again.

Comment

Are the stripers stocked into Lake Lanier gulf coast strain stripers?

Comment

Have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by natureman View Post
                  Not doubting that it was caught at East Bank. But with approx. 47 miles of Chatt. river channel from Buford Dam/ East Bank area to Belton Bridge, the most northern point on the lake, it sure makes it a mystery how it got there and if there are more of them.
                  Yeah when I saw the location where it was caught I was simply baffled myself. As you stated above, that is at least 47mi of water just in the lake and not taking into account if this fish came from Unicoi or further up the river. Proof once again we simply do not understand nature as fully as we believe. What is the oddest fish catch you have personally had ever in your life or the strangest fish catch you have heard of sir?
                  #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                  -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                  -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                  -PH

Comment

Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
                    Are the stripers stocked into Lake Lanier gulf coast strain stripers?
                    Not exactly.

There are two species stocked in the southeast; morone saxatilis and morone saxatilis X chrysops (a hybrid). That's the same species as Atlantic striped bass, striper, linesider, rock or rockfish. But apparently the Gulf coast strain is distinct.

Virtually all striped bass in Lake Lanier (and the other impoundments) are stocked because reproduction in these landlocked lakes is almost nonexistent; the fish need streams and rivers in which to spawn. That said, apparently the Coosa river has a reproducing striped bass population.

Gulf coast striped bass info: https://www.fws.gov/welaka/gulfcoaststripedbass.html
                    George DNR info: https://georgiawildlife.com/fishing/identification
                    Georgeia fishing records: https://georgiawildlife.com/fishing/recordprogram
                    Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striped_bass

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post

Yeah when I saw the location where it was caught I was simply baffled myself. As you stated above, that is at least 47mi of water just in the lake and not taking into account if this fish came from Unicoi or further up the river. Proof once again we simply do not understand nature as fully as we believe. What is the oddest fish catch you have personally had ever in your life or the strangest fish catch you have heard of sir?
                      The striped bass that got caught a few years back in the sweetwater creek lake was definitely a strange one. But the winner goes to the bull shark that was allegedly caught at high falls. Not sure if anyone ever confirmed that story.

Comment

Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
                        A big striper can eat a 15 inch rainbow trout for sure.

I could, too.

All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

Comment

Considering the mishmash of genetics in hatchery rainbows, I am not surprised that at least one, and probably more, had the instincts to run downstream to look for big water. Heading downstream after stocking seems to be common, so why wouldn't some just keep going? They would certainly learn how to be wild on the way down, so they would not be as easy a snack for a striper as a fresh stocked trout.

Comment

Working...
                          X