Big Wild Brown Trout in a Freestone River in Georgia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Wild Brown Trout in a Freestone River in Georgia

Been awhile since Iíve had anything worthy of posting. This particular story however is worth it... I had a friend from Instagram reach out to let me know she was coming in town from Arizona and was looking for places to fish as she would be near Asheville. After going back and forth, we finally decided on the main stem of a certain river I enjoy going to in the mountains. Oh and I will not mention the name of the river nor confirm or deny it if asked due to other reports Iíve posted receiving soooo many views. Not that I donít want people to read about these adventures, just not trying to get the river Ďhot-spottedí. Feel free to PM me though and Iíll gladly reveal it but I assure you, there will be clues along the way.
    Ok, back to the story... driving up Saturday it was a constant mist and fog for most of the trip. I love fishing in weather like this as everything takes on a serene almost mystic beauty, almost haunting at times. I pulled into the lot and started getting ready and just as I was about finished up, my friends Amanda & Liz arrived. We got our possibles ready and made our way first down to the river by the bridge. The river was a foot higher than last time I had visited and had a slight tinge of turbidity from the previous rains but otherwise was very clear.
    With nothing biting at our offerings we made our way up trail for a good solid ways. We stopped at several holes and one of my favorite runs that always produces fish as it is consistently 3-5ft deep with good cover from boulders and rock ledges for a solid 150yds. We worked the hole for several minutes with no luck until I saw a chaser that came up on three consecutive casts, inspecting and getting more aggressive with each attempt.
    Well finally I fooled the Wiley fish right in front of my friends and it happened no more than three feet off the bank. I got him in and in the haste to grab my net, the rainbow flopped off and ran back into the shadow of a rock. Dang. Gotta be quicker on the draw. All the while, March browns, stoneflies, caddis and midges were hatching and occasionally landing on us and taunting us as only trout fodder can. Onward we go though!
    Well we fished our way up through a nice and deep pool and got to the head of the pool. There is an interesting rock formation which juts out in several places into the river with obvious undercut areas. Combine this with the intense flows coming in and you have a perfect place for a river Predator to exist.
    Both Amanda and I were taking turns working the fast water into the hole with no success. I cast 45 degrees upstream and missed my target poorly though and thought I had not gotten the ideal cast. BOOM! My line went taught feeling like had snagged something in heavy current until my line started moving.
    All of the sudden he erupted out of the water angrily shaking his head in defiance of having a hook in his mouth. ďBig fish! Big fish!Ē, I proclaimed at which point Amanda dropped her rod and grabbed the net. The fish jumped twice more giving us an aerial display truly fitting of the river warrior he is. Finally after his last jump I was able to coax him over toward the net and Amanda slid the net under him... and there he was... a 21Ē hook-jawed and colored up wild brown trout from a freestone River!!! And he was angry too. He kept attempting to swim down through the bottom of the net to no avail though.
    We were all stunned and I was giddy with joy! Amanda got her camera out and snapped some pictures and did as well. I also took a cue from Big T and took an underwater release video as he disappeared back into the aquamarine colored depths. After that, we realized it was late in the afternoon and we had a fairly decent hike back so we called it a day. Hope you enjoyed the story, now time for the pictures & video!!! https://youtu.be/E7QpZnNaSCg
    B74907F4-6231-40EE-8E9F-9A457245376A.jpeg5A996A72-D2B1-4460-AE7F-139A62E72364.jpegC203A7D2-CF33-4767-AAFD-8BA2EB97A670.jpeg9B124D93-D0E4-4E1D-986B-631C412E7A2B.jpeg5A1FDDC3-AE83-4175-8840-3D1C3711764C.jpeg
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

Nice fish Phil. One of my favorite rivers. Thanks for the "details". Going up on Sunday.

Comment

Do you catch any fish that arenít hogs? Iíve got a feeling the ones that havenít been worth posting arenít exactly dinks. Thatís a real trophy out of a freestone river and that sandy beach makes me think of one in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by muddy waters View Post
        Do you catch any fish that arenít hogs? Iíve got a feeling the ones that havenít been worth posting arenít exactly dinks. Thatís a real trophy out of a freestone river and that sandy beach makes me think of one in particular.
        Thanks man. I feel like I am just getting warmed up though on this river and there are definitely bigger fish there. Just about committing the time to be able to fish the river properly which I have not done so far. The ones I do not post are usually because, on the Hooch for example, the days are averaging 20-50 fish. I do post a fair amount of smaller and different fish on my IG account.

Originally posted by trout4life View Post
        Nice fish Phil. One of my favorite rivers. Thanks for the "details". Going up on Sunday.
        I will be back up yonder on saturday myself although the weather looks not promising and I do not feel like dealing with a skunking due to high pressure.
        #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
        -PH

Comment

Pretty fish, well earned. Sure has a purdy mouth, too.
          Last edited by terry creech; 03-13-19, 03:43 PM.
          sigpicAKA oldandtreacherous
          "Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37

Comment

Originally posted by terry creech View Post
            Pretty fish, well earned. Sure has a purdy mouth, too.
            Looks like I got me a boar instead of a sow!!!
            #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

I hooked that same fish in that exact same hole a few weeks ago! Lost him right at the net

I'll be up there Saturday to redeem myself

Comment

Careful out there this weekend. Over the years we use this gauge as a indicator of whether we can cross at the normal spots. 1.5 feet-2.0 feet is ok as long as CFS is below 300. It's pushing 954 this morning. Probably won't get below 400 before tomorrow. Caution is advisable at the crossing spots.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/u...ate=2019-03-15
                Last edited by THE EG; 03-18-19, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trout4life View Post
                  Careful out there this weekend. Over the years we use this gauge as a indicator of whether we can cross at the normal spots. 1.5 feet-2.0 feet is ok as long as CFS is below 300. It's pushing 954 this morning. Probably won't get below 400 before tomorrow. Caution is advisable at the crossing spots.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/u...ate=2019-03-15
                  I was hoping the rain wouldn't come back again. Definitely not planning on crossing or sticking my toe in that river even if it drops a little. I'm sure the browns won't care that it's high anyways
                  Last edited by THE EG; 03-18-19, 02:38 PM.

Comment

It's crazy how much sand there is in all the creeks that roll off the Southern Escarpment. Bassy-*** trout water. Rainbows no likey, which is fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylar View Post
                      It's crazy how much sand there is in all the creeks that roll off the Southern Escarpment. Bassy-*** trout water. Rainbows no likey, which is fine with me.
                      It does not matter what river or stream I fish lately whether it's the Hooch or something up in the mountains, the amount of sediment is crazy. You gotta think it is affecting the bug life in some way. Correct me if I am wrong though.
                      #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                      -PH

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post

It does not matter what river or stream I fish lately whether it's the Hooch or something up in the mountains, the amount of sediment is crazy. You gotta think it is affecting the bug life in some way. Correct me if I am wrong though.
                        Sand vs fine particulate silt, though. Totally unscientific, but the sandy cricks mostly fish a hell of a lot better than the silty ones.

Comment

Looks like the MF Broad in Stephens County...

Comment

It was definitely worth going out there in the semi-high flows. Water had the lightest of stains but that helped the fish cooperate even more. This 18Ēer came out from under a boulder and smashed my fly. An absolute unit for a wild Georgia brown
                            7150E6FD-E79E-4D93-B7C8-D47B7279E84D.jpeg14B22461-9371-4754-8BE1-88CA62C66304.jpeg
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
                              Looks like the MF Broad in Stephens County...
                              Now Buckman, you know there ain;t nothing in middle fork but bucktooth water rattlers, killer yellar jackets and swampus kitties......
                              BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
                              Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X