Middle Fork Broad River

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle Fork Broad River

Thinking about checking out the middle fork of the Broad river in Russel WMA. Having never been there before can anyone offer any insight or advice. Does this fish like a river or more like a stream? How easy is the access? Wide open or lots of overhead? Worth a look or keep driving?

Thanks

If you are looking for solitude and a place to flyfish, keep driving. It is put and take. DNR puts'em in, Locals tak'em out. They stock at the bridge, and there are a couple of holes downstream that the fish tend to hold. It is usually cleaned out in a few days after stocking. There is a good bit of fishable water, but I've had minimal success on it. There is plenty of water farther north, I would keep riding.

True story....I fished some bluelines one Saturday and decided to stop and check out Middle Broad on the way home and keep a few stockers for the frying pan. I got there and a couple of good ol' boys were fishing the biggest hole and it was full of fish. I skirted around them, moved upstream, and cast a #14 pheasant tail upstream, and caught one, first cast. This didn't go unnoticed. I put the fish in a bucket of water, and made a few more casts. Another, then another came to me. The 2 good ol' boys weren't real friendly, and began to talk about some s o b catching their fish. I was probably 20 yards away from where they were fishing with power bait and corn. They would bait up, cast, and immediately a fish would check out their bait and swim away. I continued to catch fish, and each fish brought a response from the two. After about 6 in the bucket, they were not threatening me directly, but I understood their conversation. After #8 went in the bucket, I packed it in and headed to the truck. They were cussing a good bit louder, and it was apparent that they were not happy with strangers fishing their creek and keeping their fish. I have been back a few times, but if I see several cars or trucks, I just keep riding.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post
      If you are looking for solitude and a place to flyfish, keep driving. It is put and take. DNR puts'em in, Locals tak'em out. They stock at the bridge, and there are a couple of holes downstream that the fish tend to hold. It is usually cleaned out in a few days after stocking. There is a good bit of fishable water, but I've had minimal success on it. There is plenty of water farther north, I would keep riding.

True story....I fished some bluelines one Saturday and decided to stop and check out Middle Broad on the way home and keep a few stockers for the frying pan. I got there and a couple of good ol' boys were fishing the biggest hole and it was full of fish. I skirted around them, moved upstream, and cast a #14 pheasant tail upstream, and caught one, first cast. This didn't go unnoticed. I put the fish in a bucket of water, and made a few more casts. Another, then another came to me. The 2 good ol' boys weren't real friendly, and began to talk about some s o b catching their fish. I was probably 20 yards away from where they were fishing with power bait and corn. They would bait up, cast, and immediately a fish would check out their bait and swim away. I continued to catch fish, and each fish brought a response from the two. After about 6 in the bucket, they were not threatening me directly, but I understood their conversation. After #8 went in the bucket, I packed it in and headed to the truck. They were cussing a good bit louder, and it was apparent that they were not happy with strangers fishing their creek and keeping their fish. I have been back a few times, but if I see several cars or trucks, I just keep riding.
      I would have asked which fish belonged to them.
      All fishermen are liars except you and I...and I’m not so sure about you.

Comment

Originally posted by fishnpreacher View Post

Thanks! That is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I picked up some similar vibes at Coopers Creek one day last year. Since I am usually by myself, I have tried to stick to mostly the DH sections. Now that the DH is over I am going to check out some other areas.

Comment

Some of those folks are just plain fish thieves at times, at others, they are happy to accept state welfare and then have a hissy fit when someone they don't know not only outfishes them especially with flies! I fail to understand their logic, but I probably expect too much from them. That said, put 'n take fisheries are the bread and butter of the fisheries GA Wildlife supports and it helps keep them afloat.

Comment

Agreed, MFB isn't worth a stop if you're serious about trout fishing. Spend an extra half hour moving farther north.
            Speck

Follower of Christ
            Pursuer of trout
            -------------------------------------------------
            "Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson

Comment

You're a better man than me preacher. I would have told them if they would come a little closer they could express themselves a little better.
              "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He would not have created the other five days of the week."

Remember, always fight like you're the third monkey trying to get on Noah's ark.

Comment

Working...
              X