This weekend on Chattooga

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend on Chattooga

I will be camping this weekend on the West Fork Chattooga River. Anyone fished the West Fork or north/south of hwy 28 lately? Where could I fish this late in the season in the area and actually have a chance at some success? All guidance will be much appreciated.

I'll be up there, too. I was up there in July and caught a few small browns but expect the fishing should be getting much better by now.

Comment

We still have not received much rain in these parts, and the past few weeks have been exceptionally dry. I have not been up that way lately, but my guess is the Chatooga and other natural rivers are flowing very shallow and warm. Seek out cool, deep pools would probably be the best strategy.
      Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
      Simple Goat Herder
      Former NGTO President
      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by captfredfish View Post
        I'll be up there, too. I was up there in July and caught a few small browns but expect the fishing should be getting much better by now.
        Why do you expect the fishing to be better now?

Comment

Friend of mine

A friend of mine will be up there this weekend as well - redheaded male mid fifties with his son. Name is John - speak to him if you run across him - he needs all the help he can get!
          Those sure are puurrtty stars

Comment

Slow and low

The USGS Gauge at Clayton shows it running mighty low and slow....below one foot in height and running at 112 CFS if I read this right. (The 68-year low on this date was 105 CFS back in 1955.)

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=02177000

The gauge is apparently located where Hwy 76 crosses the 'Tooga at the entrance to the Sumter National Forest.
            Last edited by Trout8myfly; 10-17-08, 08:48 AM.
            "What's his offense?"
            "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
            ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

According to this link, SC stocked the East Fork and what I believe to be the North Fork which they refer to as "Chattooga" which is the boundary between SC and GA, but I don't know exactly where on the river.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/fish/stocking/results.html

There are some deep spot on the West Fork (which is totally GA water) if you look carefully.
              Tight lines!
              Jimmy

Comment

The two areas they stocked are the East Fork Chattooga (tributary that runs past the Walhalla State Fish Hatchery) and the section at the Burrells Ford Campground/Bridge. They really do not put that many fish in at this time.

Comment

I fished 28 bridge 3 weeks ago and caught 3 trout, in deep pools. I fished it again today and didn't get a bite all day. I would go burrells ford and up. WB in deep pools.

Comment

Not much going on on the West Fork. I saw one fish that was 6" long and the rest were a couple years away from being catchable. The weather was at least nice....from Saturday thru today.

Comment

SD,
                      How was the camping at the USFS site? I guess the water was real low in the West Fork. There will be better times there. The best time to go fishing is when you've got the time.
                      Tight lines!
                      Jimmy

Comment

Camping

The camping is good there. The sites have a fire ring, picnic table, and pit toilets. Most of the sites are within view of the river and only about 100-200 feet from your car if you like that sort of camping. I prefer backpacking but was with the wife which explains the camping and the little amount of fishing.
                        My buddy and I walked passed a guy upstream of the bridge past the campground for a ways. He reminded me of Gary Micheal Hilton - no car at the trailhead and no gear other than his tent. Just waiting for something or someone. Kind of creepy.
                        Once we passed him we climbed up a sheer rock watefall that was probably 60-70 feet high. It was really cool.
                        The water was extremely low. I hope they enough rain to replenish the river this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by SuwaneeDawg View Post
                          Why do you expect the fishing to be better now?
                          I expected it to be better because of the cooler temps and this being spawning time for Browns. And, I was hoping...

Water levels looked to me to be about where they were in July when I was there last. Well, the bass fishing was outstanding down river; but when I moved up to the West Fork on Friday, I couldn't buy a strike. There seemed to be plenty of shiners and little bass all the way up past Tottery Pole Creek, but I only caught one fingerling 'bow.

I agree that the weather was perfect.

Comment

Both you guys owe it to yourselves to get back there and fish the same spots when the water is more "normal". It's always been an awesome fishery for me, wife, & kids (both in college now) for the last 25-30 yrs. Me and Cath fished and camped there before the kids came along then took a 2-3 yr hiatus when they arrived until we could manage camping with them as littl'uns.
                            There is some beautiful scenery and the further up you go from the USFS campsites, the better, for my $.02.
                            I have had bear encounters, so if you are accustomed to carrying a sidearm, it's not a bad idea.
                            Tight lines and better luck next trip!!
                            Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
                              Both you guys owe it to yourselves to get back there and fish the same spots when the water is more "normal"...Tight lines and better luck next trip!!
                              Jimmy
                              Did I say I had bad luck?

I'm a Redeye Bass freak and they were everywhere last weekend...I also moved over to a smaller stream and got into some wonderful little 'bows on my 3wt using dries (light cahills). Combine that with 2 nights at the Festhalle and pitchers of Paulaner Hefe-Weizen and I'd call it a perfect trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X