Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chattooga - beyond the DH

Hey guys,
    I have fished the DH section of the Chattooga many times with great success and then some days struggling to get a bite. However, I have never fished north of Reed Creek and up to/past Burrells Ford. Is the fishing in the other areas as good as the DH? Any tips will be appreciated?

Me and some buddies will be backpacking for a weekend of good times and tight lines. All suggestions are welcome.

A general rule of thumb on NGTO is not to post about non-dh or wild streams.

I will say that there are exponentially more fish in the DH portion than any other section of the river.

Comment

SuwanneDog,

There is plenty of great trout fishing and camping on the Chatooga River between the Highway 28 access and Burrells Ford. If you are hiking on the Chatooga River trail, you can camp and access the river at multiple locations. I will send you a PM with a spot on that stretch of the river that I think you and your buddies will enjoy.
      Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
      Simple Goat Herder
      Former NGTO President
      Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the unwritten rule. I guess I will just check it out and see what I can reel in. So I take it from your comment, that the upper portions are not stocked. I had thought that I had read that it was stocked at Burrells Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Henry View Post
          SuwanneDog,

There is plenty of great trout fishing and camping on the Chatooga River between the Highway 28 access and Burrells Ford. If you are hiking on the Chatooga River trail, you can camp and access the river at multiple locations. I will send you a PM with a spot on that stretch of the river that I think you and your buddies will enjoy.
          Thanks Buck. I have camped a couple of different spots on the S.C. side within the first two miles north of the 28 bridge. Last time we spotted what looked to be a great site a little bit further up.

Comment

Originally posted by trout-tiger View Post
            A general rule of thumb on NGTO is not to post about non-dh or wild streams.

I will say that there are exponentially more fish in the DH portion than any other section of the river.

Is that part of the tooga not stocked?

Comment

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
              Is that part of the tooga not stocked?
              Yes, they do indeed stock between Burrells Ford and Highway 28 via the helicopter stocking program. Not sure if you guys remember, but NGTO and it's members helped the Rabun TU chapter with a sizeable donation last year in Tom Landreth's honor to help fund that helo-stocking program.

PS: SuwanneDog - check your Private Messages.
              Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
              Simple Goat Herder
              Former NGTO President
              Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Something to always remember is that there are no gates or fences across the creeks and rivers that are stocked. And the fish when they were stocked were not given handbooks saying where they need to stay.
                I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I was just pointing out that talking about the non-DH 'tooga shouldn't be a faux pas. I'm sure he probably got some good info in his inbox though!
                  You can't catch all the fish up there tiger!

Comment

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
                    Yeah, I was just pointing out that talking about the non-DH 'tooga shouldn't be a faux pas. I'm sure he probably got some good info in his inbox though!
                    You can't catch all the fish up there tiger!
                    haha I know I know... you guys should come to the Chattooga River TU banquet tommorow night!

Comment

Working...
                    X