Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toccoa trip

Hello all,
    Next week I am off of school, and I'm staying at a friends cabin in Blue Ridge. I've never fly fished the Tocca before and I plan on it next week. What are some good access points for a first timer there? Fly patterns?

Tight lines

Connor

There are really only three public access points on the Toccoa below the dam that you can use. One is at Tammen Park just below the dam, right where the river crosses under the highway. The second is at Curtis Switch Road, where there is a public TVA parking area. The last is down near Macaysville at Horseshoe Bend park. All three locations offer decent wadable water, assuming they are not generating from the dam.

Go by the fly shop in downtown Blue Ridge and they will be happy to give you directions to the access points, TVA dam generation info, intel on what flies are working, where grab lunch, etc.
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

Comment

There is a TVA smartphone app that has every TVA impoundment along with release information for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gabassman View Post
        There is a TVA smartphone app that has every TVA impoundment along with release information for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an excellent app ....especially if you float the TVA tailraces.

The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by cjlake98 View Post
          Hello all,
          Next week I am off of school, and I'm staying at a friends cabin in Blue Ridge. I've never fly fished the Tocca before and I plan on it next week. What are some good access points for a first timer there? Fly patterns?

Tight lines

Connor
          Hey Connor,

I've fished the Toccoa each of the past 4 weekends and it's been decent. The tailwater was particularly good when they were sluicing, but it slowed down for me the last couple weeks.

I have mainly focused on Curtis Switch. I've caught fish on San Juans (pink), Green Weenies, Prince Nymphs, Black Woolly Buggers, Caddis Larvae Pupae imitations and even a tiny fingerling brown on a brown Elk Hair Caddis. As you can see, they're taking a lot. The challenge--for me anyway--was getting my flies through the army of Chubs waiting to intercept it before it could get to the trout!

I definitely advise you to take my advice with a grain of salt, but if you want some really awesome information, check out TroutManJoe's report on his Toccoa floats. Great stuff in there.

Another option I didn't see mentioned is the headwaters off of Aska Road near Shallowford Bridge. I have spent parts of those last 4 weekends up there and have had success at both the canoe launch and the first big pulloff. It's a lot of fun to fish and not subject to the dam releases, although it's a good idea to check the CFS before heading up to make sure it's wadeable.

Hopefully the majority of tubers will have retired for the year and you can get some good, solid fishing in over the next few days. Best of luck and tight lines.

Wily
          "Be prepared! And be careful not to do your good deeds while there's no one watching you. --Tom Lehrer

Comment

Thanks alot for the advice guys, that app looks great. And thanks for the detailed report Willy!

Comment

Originally posted by TheWilyTrout View Post
              Hey Connor,

I've fished the Toccoa each of the past 4 weekends and it's been decent. The tailwater was particularly good when they were sluicing, but it slowed down for me the last couple weeks.

I have mainly focused on Curtis Switch. I've caught fish on San Juans (pink), Green Weenies, Prince Nymphs, Black Woolly Buggers, Caddis Larvae Pupae imitations and even a tiny fingerling brown on a brown Elk Hair Caddis. As you can see, they're taking a lot. The challenge--for me anyway--was getting my flies through the army of Chubs waiting to intercept it before it could get to the trout!

I definitely advise you to take my advice with a grain of salt, but if you want some really awesome information, check out TroutManJoe's report on his Toccoa floats. Great stuff in there.

Another option I didn't see mentioned is the headwaters off of Aska Road near Shallowford Bridge. I have spent parts of those last 4 weekends up there and have had success at both the canoe launch and the first big pulloff. It's a lot of fun to fish and not subject to the dam releases, although it's a good idea to check the CFS before heading up to make sure it's wadeable.

Hopefully the majority of tubers will have retired for the year and you can get some good, solid fishing in over the next few days. Best of luck and tight lines.

Wily
              Excellent post.
              I'm so old I remember when men wore tattoos and women wore earrings.
              -Lefty Kreh

Comment

do not overlook the power of a mayfly nymph.... or emerger... someting with a long tail... Sending PM
                "The good Lord might have said 'I will make you fishers of men," but I'll be totally honest with you, the Lord made me a fisher of fish!
                https://www.facebook.com/NorthGeorgiaTroutFishing

Comment

The upper Toccoa is still pretty warm. I would put my time into the tailwater and do a float with TroutManJoe.
                  Check out my personal Facebook page Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia and my Instagram Page Tightlinesjoe where I give tips on different tactics, stream reports and pictures of Georgia trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

Comment

Working...
                  X