This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toccoa historical flow rates - YES!

Well, after exhausting my Google-fu searching for a source for historical flow rates for the Toccoa river, I finally decided to put something together myself.

I built a little page that scrubs the TVA River Flows website and pulls the data off of the webpage and stores it in a database so it can be reported on historically. It's only been pulling data since 11/29, so it doesn't have a full 30 day history yet, but at least it's a start.

If you are so inclined, you can visit the site at:

http://dudeitsnotablog.com/riverflows/

BTW... Toccoa is still blown out and doesn't look like it's going to slow down any time soon.
    Last edited by cjones; 12-14-15, 05:40 AM. Reason: Updated thread title

Nice database. Shows what I suspected. Mostly over 1000 CFS. 300 considered safe wading by a lot of people. I bet that doesn't happen the entire DH period. I don't think it was below 300 more than a couple of days last year either.

Comment

Thank you. This is very useful.

Comment

Very cool!

Bummer about the flows though
        _yero on instagram

Comment

Where do I log a complaint?

Originally posted by cjones View Post
          Well, after exhausting my Google-fu searching for a source for historical flow rates for the Toccoa river, I finally decided to put something together myself.

I built a little page that scrubs the TVA River Flows website and pulls the data off of the webpage and stores it in a database so it can be reported on historically. It's only been pulling data since 11/29, so it doesn't have a full 30 day history yet, but at least it's a start.

If you are so inclined, you can visit the site at:

http://dudeitsnotablog.com/riverflows/

BTW... Toccoa is still blown out and doesn't look like it's going to slow down any time soon.

You couldn't format it better. Good Grief.
          Know Your Chief asset, your great talent, cultivate it, and help along the other...... Baltasar Gracian (Aphorism 34)

Comment

Originally posted by Dcounce View Post
            Nice database. Shows what I suspected. Mostly over 1000 CFS. 300 considered safe wading by a lot of people. I bet that doesn't happen the entire DH period. I don't think it was below 300 more than a couple of days last year either.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that. I like fishing the DH streams, notably the Ami and Tooga. I think I have been lucky enough to fish the Toccoa maybe 4 times in 7 yrs, mostly because it is such a big watershed that it fills up and drains slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dcounce View Post
              Originally posted by bigorangefan View Post
              I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that. I like fishing the DH streams, notably the Ami and Tooga. I think I have been lucky enough to fish the Toccoa maybe 4 times in 7 yrs, mostly because it is such a big watershed that it fills up and drains slowly.
              Well, assuming I can keep the database running that long, this time next year we should be able to look back and see exactly how many days were fishable this year.

Comment

I didn't realize how lucky I was that I was in Blue Ridge for the week of Thanksgiving. That was pretty much THE window to fish the DH section. I fished from the bank twice (in the canoe launch area), and waded very close to shore once (between the rope swing and that weird slab in the middle of the river). Overall, I caught about 15 nice looking bows.

Saw a guided float killing it Saturday after Thanksgiving downstream from the canoe launch.

Comment

Upper Toccoa DH fishing on fire

Floated the upper Toccoa from a few miles upstream of the DH down through the DH on both Sunday and Monday. Killed it both days, mostly fishing single-hook lures in the DH stretch, but we took some nice fish upstream too, including the pictured 4-pound 'bow. Winter to mid-spring months a great time to fish the whole stretch.
                  Bob Borgwat
                  www.reelanglingadventures.com

Comment

I saw this had been stickied, so I changed the thread title to more accurately represent what the thread is about. My site tracks all of the rivers/streams listed on the TVA River/Stream Flows website. Didn't want to give the impression it only shows Toccoa.

Comment

Looks like my web hosting provider is dealing with DDOS attacks right now, which is impacting my site. Hopefully it will be back up soon.

Composed by 1,000 monkeys pounding on 1,000 typewriters on Tapatalk.

Comment

Not sure if anyone even uses my site anymore, but I just noticed yesterday that it hadn't been collecting data for a few days. Apparently the daylight savings time thing broke some of my code.

It's fixed now and will start collecting data again.

Comment

Thanks for keeping data. It is very interesting.

Comment

River Flow Site

I was considering fishing the upper Toccoa tomorrow but didn't know if 330+ cfm was wadable (sp?) Your site is really helpful - thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by moore2life View Post
                              I was considering fishing the upper Toccoa tomorrow but didn't know if 330+ cfm was wadable (sp?) Your site is really helpful - thanks!
                              Glad someone is getting use out of it. I haven't been back on the Toccoa in nearly a year now. I need to put a hit counter on the site to see how often it gets used.

Comment

Working...
                              X