Chattooga 04 15 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chattooga 04 15 2017

Fished the DH section of the Chattooga with Prowler and Vance this past Saturday. Fishing was slow, but a great day anyway as the weather was very nice, beautiful river, and great camaraderie,. We hiked in about 2.5 miles from HWY 28 bridge and fished back downstream almost to the bridge. We met maybe 10 to 15 people on the stream, so it wasn't crowded. I am wondering why the fishing was so slow. Were the fish not biting because of all the pressure that has been put on the stream? I am wondering if we had hiked in a bit further, say to Reed Creek where the DH starts, if the fishing would have been better, due to less pressure on that part of the stream. Will the Chattooga DH be stocked again this year? Anyway, I did manage three to hand, one of which was a beautiful large Brown that put up a great fight. I also caught a nice size pretty Brookie and a smaller Brown. My pic of the smaller Brown is a poor pic so I did not attach it to this posting. The two larger fish were caught on Prowler's candy corn fly, and the smaller Brown was caught on a blue midge tied by BigT. If there is anyone who knows the DH area around Reed Creek, or for that matter the non regulated stocked section of the Chattooga, and would like to buddy up for a fishing trip drop me a PM.
    Last edited by HILLIS LANIER; 09-18-17, 07:31 AM.
    "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

That's a great looking brown.

Comment

You fished in the future?? 7/15/17

Comment

Originally posted by Pondjumpr View Post
        You fished in the future?? 7/15/17
        Date corrected to 04/15/17.
        "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

It was nice meeting you hillis and witnessing that beautiful brown. It was slow but I fell in love with that river I'll definitely be back. Look forward to more trips in the future.
          It's the little things that get us through the day, like where am I gonna fish this weekend?

Comment

No more candy corn for you Mr. Hillis!!!!
            I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
            sigpic

Comment

What other flies did you try fishing? A lot of the fish have been beat to death with Y2Ks, mop flies, San Juans, candy corn flies. My usual rig there is a #20 WD-40 behind an olive or black leech, and sometimes behind a girdle bug. Did you try fishing any naturals? Maybe somebody can speak up on this, but I have never had much luck upstream of Reed Creek. I'm sure there might be some good browns in there, but everytime I get upstream of that stretch, my fishing seems to get REEEAAALLL slow. Anybody else here have that experience as well?
              Last edited by Killer Kyle; 05-04-17, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Kyle View Post
                What other flies did you try fishing? A lot of the fish have been neat to death with Y2Ks, mop flies, San Juans, candy corn flies. My usual rig there is a #20 WD-40 behind an olive or black leech, and sometimes behind a girdle bug. Did you try fishing any naturals? Maybe somebody can speak up on this, but I have never had much luck upstream of Reed Creek. I'm sure there might be some good browns in there, but everytime I get upstream of that stretch, my fishing seems to get REEEAAALLL slow. Anybody else here have that experience as well?
                Good suggestions on flies. I did not try a WD40, but I will the next time. I believe I tried a beaded Hares Ear. I dropped everything I tried behind a #10 and #12 olive wooly bugger and black wooly bugger. I don't think I tried a girdle bug. My guess is my fishing buddies tried naturals, because I think they tried everything in their arsenal. Thanks for the tips on flies and fishing upstream of Reed Creek.

Comment

Originally posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
                  Good suggestions on flies. I did not try a WD40, but I will the next time. I believe I tried a beaded Hares Ear. I dropped everything I tried behind a #10 and #12 olive wooly bugger and black wooly bugger. I don't think I tried a girdle bug. My guess is my fishing buddies tried naturals, because I think they tried everything in their arsenal. Thanks for the tips on flies and fishing upstream of Reed Creek.
                  Well, I'm stumped because usually a WB will fish about as good as a leech. I'm not sure if fishing upstream of Reed is really any worse than the DH itself. I haven't had much luck there, but I have only worked up that away a small handful of times, so I don't have a lot to go off of. I was hoping some of the other folks can chime and relate their experiences there too!!

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Kyle View Post
                    Well, I'm stumped because usually a WB will fish about as good as a leech. I'm not sure if fishing upstream of Reed is really any worse than the DH itself. I haven't had much luck there, but I have only worked up that away a small handful of times, so I don't have a lot to go off of. I was hoping some of the other folks can chime and relate their experiences there too!!
                    For what it's worth (I'm a rookie) I usually go past Reed's Creek on the SC side. Haven't had much luck but I'm sure it has more to do with my angling than the fish. I fished a black WB and got skinked.

Comment

Working...
                    X