Amicalola DH

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amicalola DH

Caught around 12 nice size rainbows yesterday on the Ami DH. The water was clear and cold and they really became active just after noon. Caught most on a rubber leg stone fly and Y2K bug. I wish I had some pictures, but I purposefully left my phone in the car. Great day on the water!

Glad to hear you had a good day. On Friday it was a big nope for everyone I talked to in the afternoon at both ends. 1 LDR and 1 follow all on red San Jaun and in deeper/slacker water than I am usually drawn to.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fun View Post
      Glad to hear you had a good day. On Friday it was a big nope for everyone I talked to in the afternoon at both ends. 1 LDR and 1 follow all on red San Jaun and in deeper/slacker water than I am usually drawn to.
      That sounds about right. I only caught one until about noon and then pulled the rest out of the same types of spots (deep slow pools) within the span of about an hour.

Comment

My experience last year with the DH:

Smith: faster runs, except for that one spot under the bridge. Here I used a euro nymph setup and did pretty well.
        AMI: they tended to be in deeper, slacker runs... and a worm always slayed it. One day @Bozozsmightmare and I must've caught 40+ each (maybe the same fish multiple times) using worms and midges, alternating.

I know nothing about this, but perhaps the different watersheds used for the DH harbor different streamborn food that the fish (relatively) quickly key in on. The AMI just seems like the spot to go dig up worms and that's why I started with worms. I used to tie a fly that I called the Wormigon (part squirmy, part perdigon nymph) with some flash and they seemed to love all colors of that thing. Super heavy, bounced along the bottom, yum yum.

I've yet to hit the DH this year, but sounds like y'all are killing it.

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
          My experience last year with the DH:

Smith: faster runs, except for that one spot under the bridge. Here I used a euro nymph setup and did pretty well.

AMI: they tended to be in deeper, slacker runs... and a worm always slayed it. One day @Bozozsmightmare and I must've caught 40+ each (maybe the same fish multiple times) using worms and midges, alternating.

I know nothing about this, but perhaps the different watersheds used for the DH harbor different streamborn food that the fish (relatively) quickly key in on. The AMI just seems like the spot to go dig up worms and that's why I started with worms. I used to tie a fly that I called the Wormigon (part squirmy, part perdigon nymph) with some flash and they seemed to love all colors of that thing. Super heavy, bounced along the bottom, yum yum.

I've yet to hit the DH this year, but sounds like y'all are killing it.

Correction sir. You may have caught 40, I caught at least 41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X