Guides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guides

Anybody else have a problem with them making their living off of public resources?
    I know it's legal but something's not right when you walk a couple miles in, only to have a guide bring a group of dudes from Atlanta in on your favorite water. Knowing full well that they would have never found the place without him. Then they tell 2 friends, and they tell 2 friends..... Next thing you know there will be a trout fishing tournament there!

Guides

Nope. I donít have a problem with it.

You can petition the legislature - and congress - to prevent all commercial operations on public-managed land.

I just donít see the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "What's his offense?"
    "Groping for trouts in a peculiar river."
    ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

Comment

I agree with George. Public is PUBLIC land. Guides and clients are public.
      It would be the same for tubing companies floating the Hooch. (not that I'm really pleased with that). If the State/Feds close public land, we all lose.
      BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
      Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

no problem here

They're taking members of the public out to enjoy and use a public resource. Although I've been annoyed a few times when a guide boat drops anchor in a hole I'm fishing, I don't think there is anything wrong with guides using public resources. In fact, it probably helps in the long run in terms of how a fishery is managed, etc.
        Plus, most guides I've met are really good folks, and I admire what they do.
        http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

Comment

Millions of people make a living off of public resources

Power companies
          Farmers
          Commercial fisherman
          Oil companies
          Minors

etc

Comment

Nope they add to the enjoyment of others who may not have had the opportunity to have been introduced at an early age.

Since a lot of water is on USFS land they are required to have permits with cost $$'s so that adds to the bank account.

I would like to see the State have a guide permit system to keep jack legs from giving folks a a poor experience.
            "I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."

Comment

Guides

Not a problem at all with them. Was on a certain NE GA river the day after Thanksgiving with my wife and two kids(8 and 10). I ran into the owner of the Chattooga river fly shop(Karl) about 1.5 miles in. We had hiked the FS road on the GA side. He looked to be guiding around 4 folks. I asked him if my 8 year old could step in and try the run. He was very gracious and even yelled some encouragement when he caught the rainbow trout. We got the one fish and headed out of their way. Thanks again Karl if you read this.
              Last edited by trout4life; 12-07-17, 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I agree with the sentiments posted. I do have a problem with our public resources (stocked fish) swimming into so much private water. Eventually we may not have access to much public fishing at all. This is a much bigger threat to the sport being open and and affordable to the average person than sharing water with guides who work hard to help others learn and enjoy our sport.
                The old country club golfers had the same attitude because they didn't want to share their fairways with kids and now their sport is just about dead.

Comment

Originally posted by trout4life View Post
                  Not a problem at all with them. Was on a certain NE GA river the day after Thanksgiving with my wife and two kids(8 and 10). I ran into the owner of the Chattooga river fly shop(Karl) about 1.5 miles in. We had hiked the FS road on the GA side. He looked to be guiding around 4 folks. I asked him if my 8 year old could step in and try the run. He was very gracious and even yelled some encouragement when he caught the rainbow trout. We got the one fish and headed out of their way. Thanks again Karl if you read this.

I happen to like the guide I'm talking about, very nice guy. What if the next time you show up at that hole those 4 guys and 4 of their friends are there and the hole above it and the hole below it and you know it's a direct result of the guided trip earlier? Not to mention the 50 other clients he's taken there.

Comment

Originally posted by bookkeeper View Post
                    I agree with the sentiments posted. I do have a problem with our public resources (stocked fish) swimming into so much private water. Eventually we may not have access to much public fishing at all. This is a much bigger threat to the sport being open and and affordable to the average person than sharing water with guides who work hard to help others learn and enjoy our sport.
                    The old country club golfers had the same attitude because they didn't want to share their fairways with kids and now their sport is just about dead.

I don't know anything about us loosing public water but I'm pretty sure we don't have to worry about the sport of trout fishing dying. Not by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by BUBBA CORNCHUCKER View Post
                      I happen to like the guide I'm talking about, very nice guy. What if the next time you show up at that hole those 4 guys and 4 of their friends are there and the hole above it and the hole below it and you know it's a direct result of the guided trip earlier? Not to mention the 50 other clients he's taken there.
                      It's a DH stream so not too upset. Would just go to another spot. It's a pretty large stream. Even on days the lots are full I can still get to fish but I have been fishing the DH streams from the beginning so I can tell most of the 2.5 miles of river. Some of these clients could be TU supporters, new folks(future supporters), or just someone paying to be out in nature where I have explored for free.

Comment

Originally posted by wspanic View Post
                        Millions of people make a living off of public resources

Power companies
                        Farmers
                        Commercial fisherman
                        Oil companies
                        Minors

etc

Great point. I just don't like it happening on the stream. Hell I don't like seeing anybody out there, much less somebody that's getting paid to ruin my solitude.

Comment

304 views and no one has an issue with this? Not one more selfish solitude lover? You guys are saints, and true lovers of humanity. I am humbled. I hope that every time you hike in, there will be somebody already there. From what I am reading that should make your day. pfffft

Comment

Originally posted by BUBBA CORNCHUCKER View Post
                            304 views and no one has an issue with this? Not one more selfish solitude lover? You guys are saints, and true lovers of humanity. I am humbled. I hope that every time you hike in, there will be somebody already there. From what I am reading that should make your day. pfffft
                            Sorry no one else joined your pitch fork party. For me, I have more important stuff to get upset about. Also, public and solitude are usually not compatible terms.
                            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                            Simple Goat Herder
                            Former NGTO President
                            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Lets move to get the taxis, ubers, etc off the our public roads. Make them walk, loose some weight and decrease our medical payments.

Comment

Working...
                              X