Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chattooga River Round Two All to Myself!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice report, Phil!
    @glennmau

Comment

"There is a good chance no DH fish would swim that far upstream. We are talking several river miles and over some larger rapids in between Burrells Ford and the DH. Not sure when they last stocked at the Ford or the campground, anyone have that info"? ...Phil...

...I have caught several DH fish below the 28 bridge down to the confluence with the West Fork (maybe 1/4 mile)...I am certain these were not regular stockers (9-inch / snits)...since they were larger, I figure they swam or washed down from where they were stocked...they don't know where the "boundary" is in either direction...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/fish/stocking/results.html

...oh yeah, ...forgot this...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

http://georgiawildlife.com/sites/def...utStocking.pdf

...and this...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
            "There is a good chance no DH fish would swim that far upstream. We are talking several river miles and over some larger rapids in between Burrells Ford and the DH. Not sure when they last stocked at the Ford or the campground, anyone have that info"? ...Phil...

...I have caught several DH fish below the 28 bridge down to the confluence with the West Fork (maybe 1/4 mile)...I am certain these were not regular stockers (9-inch / snits)...since they were larger, I figure they swam or washed down from where they were stocked...they don't know where the "boundary" is in either direction...

Blessings!

Jimmy
            Jimmy, I am a bit confused by your first statement. 'I have caught several DH fish below the 28 bridge down to the confluence with the West Fork (maybe 1/4 mile).' Do you mean from the DH below the 28 bridge UP to the confluence with the west fork? Also I am incorrectly stating that there are SNIT's as well as fingerlings that get stocked on the Chattooga?
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

...the DH ends on its Southern border at the 28 bridge...the fish don't know or care...I have caught DH washdowns or migrators below the 28 bridge as far as the confluence...the West Fork enters the main river below the 28 bridge...before there was a DH, snits were dumped off the bridge itself...I witnessed it several years ago...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
                ...the DH ends on its Southern border at the 28 bridge...the fish don't know or care...I have caught DH washdowns or migrators below the 28 bridge as far as the confluence...the West Fork enters the main river below the 28 bridge...before there was a DH, snits were dumped off the bridge itself...I witnessed it several years ago...

Blessings!

Jimmy
                Now I understand! Thank you for clarifying. I also had to look at a map of where the west fork flows in for reference. Makers perfect sense to me now sir.
                #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                -PH

Comment

Several studies have been done on the movement of stocked trout. Here is one I came across recently for anyone who'd like to read: http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Fish...t_movement.pdf

In that particular study, the data strongly suggested that stocked trout eventually move downstream. That is, of course, in the two particular streams in which the research was conducted.

I don't know how relevant that particular study is to freestone streams in the southeast- like the Chatooga. My personal opinion is that water temperature plays the biggest role in determining the distance traveled by stocked trout. During DH, I think stockers are just as likely (if not more) to travel downstream as upstream because the water temperature is just as good (and in some cases, better) downstream as opposed to upstream. However, I can personally attest to the veracity of DH fish in the Chatooga moving upstream as the water temperature starts to rise in the spring/early summer.

As far as waterfalls go: I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any big enough between Reed Creek and BF that would keep downstreamers from getting up after a good rain brings the river up enough to put enough water over the rocks to allow trout passage. Besides that, some are going up while others that are stocked at BF are going down. The point i'm trying to make is just because you catch a fish between Reed Creek and BF doesn't mean it's either a helicopter stocker or stream-bred. If I catch them, though, they're always stream-bred haha. After all, wild fish don't eat junk flies.

Comment

If interested, Kyle Burrell who now guides with River Through Atlanta guide service among other things, did his Master’s thesis on the movement of brown trout in the Chattooga River. I believe contrary to the Hooch brown trout study, Kyle found the Chattooga browns moved quite a bit.
                    If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Originally posted by THE EG View Post
                      If interested, Kyle Burrell who now guides with River Through Atlanta guide service among other things, did his Master’s thesis on the movement of brown trout in the Chattooga River. I believe contrary to the Hooch brown trout study, Kyle found the Chattooga browns moved quite a bit.
                      do you have a contact for him?
                      I like science.

Comment

GREAT report. Those brown trout pix are glorious. That's a special place.
                        "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                          do you have a contact for him?
                          I like science.
                          Second this! Steve let me know if you get the report please. Any ammo I can gather on these fish I’ll gladly use to arm myself in the hunt!

Originally posted by Streamside Sam View Post
                          GREAT report. Those brown trout pix are glorious. That's a special place.
                          Thank you sir. These fish make you work for them but the beauty is so astounding and pure you forget how many miles you’ve walked and waded.
                          #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                          -PH

Comment

https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/ja/ja_burrell001.pdf

Comment

Free, open science. Thank you!
                              Good stuff too
                              Movement of 7+ km that's a haul.
                              Also speaks to site fidelity, which I've heard about and experienced at least three times.
                              I reckon the diff between toog BTs and hooch Tw BTs, the nature of freestone streams.
                              I'll have to give this a better read when I have time
                              Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
                                Free, open science. Thank you!
                                Good stuff too
                                Movement of 7+ km that's a haul.
                                Also speaks to site fidelity, which I've heard about and experienced at least three times.
                                I reckon the diff between toog BTs and hooch Tw BTs, the nature of freestone streams.
                                I'll have to give this a better read when I have time
                                Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                7km is not unheard of for sure. What surprised me most from just skimming the data was how few fish sought thermal refuge as the summer heated up. Awesome read! Thanks Kyle and whomever posted!
                                #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                                -PH

Comment

Working...
                                X