Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chattooga River Round Two All to Myself!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your welcome for the post. I just googled "chattooga river brown trout study". I had read it before when researching the area long ago. 7km=4.3miles. Quite a ways for a fish. DH length and then some. I have caught some nice browns in the DH and above Burrells.

Comment

Originally posted by splatek16 View Post
      Free, open science. Thank you!
      Good stuff too
      Movement of 7+ km that's a haul.
      Also speaks to site fidelity, which I've heard about and experienced at least three times.
      I reckon the diff between toog BTs and hooch Tw BTs, the nature of freestone streams.
      I'll have to give this a better read when I have time
      Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      At a guess, I'd say it speaks more to the diversity of the brown trout genetic pool than to the nature of tailwaters or freestone streams. You'll see browns displaying both behaviors in the same creek around here. Big resident browns in the Davidson are notorious for hanging on the same boulder or rootball for years. At the same time, you've got other big browns that are only in the Davidson seasonally. They're main river (French Broad) fish that move into the cold water tribs in mid-late summer when the water temps in the main stem push too high for comfort, stay long enough to spawn, then drop back to the big river where the big bites are.

Comment

[QUOTE=Philhutch80;893564]I sling meat so mainly streamers like sculpzillas but there have been lots of Stone fly and March Browns coming off the water. From the few risers I saw it looked like they were going after emergers. That trip should be worth your time just be aware there is a ton of downed trees and deadfalls in the stream the further in you go.

Were you throwing sink tip? I'm thinking about making the trip and was thinking about bringing a nymph rod and a streamer rod to try a couple of different tactics... My go to hooch streamer stick is an 8wt with 350 grain but that may be overkill. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

[QUOTE=TPerrie;894000]
          Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
          I sling meat so mainly streamers like sculpzillas but there have been lots of Stone fly and March Browns coming off the water. From the few risers I saw it looked like they were going after emergers. That trip should be worth your time just be aware there is a ton of downed trees and deadfalls in the stream the further in you go.

Were you throwing sink tip? I'm thinking about making the trip and was thinking about bringing a nymph rod and a streamer rod to try a couple of different tactics... My go to hooch streamer stick is an 8wt with 350 grain but that may be overkill. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
          I think you should bring three rods.
          http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

[QUOTE=Big T;894002]
            Originally posted by TPerrie View Post

And pack so light?

Comment

[QUOTE=Big T;894002]
              Originally posted by TPerrie View Post

NO kidding I actually bring FIVE rods all rigged. I do not mind carrying them as it only makes me stronger. Thomas, you could get away with the sink tip in the deep pools but you would probably want a intermediate or floating line for the riffles in between the pools. Good luck sir.
              #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
              -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
              -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
              -PH

Comment

Working...
              X