Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chattooga River Round Two All to Myself!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chattooga River Round Two All to Myself!!!

I am falling more in love with fishing freestone streams again. It is such a different and challenging way to become a better fishermen. Different tactics apply when fishing a freestone vs a tailwaters for sure but dissecting a river and finding the fish is similar. This time I went in again due to time constraints and hiked for a good 30min before wetting a line. I was rewarded with seeing some very zen like things that nature created while I was hiking in...

It's amazing how one small rock and a mountain laurel leaf can create something so simple and beautiful!
    I kept hiking and decided I would stop and take some photos as I had a couple folks asking why I did not have trail/stream pics. Well here you go folks!

This river just keeps astounding me on macro and micro levels. It is a great time to be alive and exploring and hiking and fishing!!! Oh and the trout, they were there too!!!
    I caught five again, this time they were all browns though. I started out with my biggest brown so far though. Nice 17 inch male brown that was JUST starting to get his hookjaw forming. Right where he should have been waiting on a seam. He was fat and healthy!!!
    Look at the teeth on this one!!! You can see the upturn of the lower jaw starting. When he grabs, he does not want to let go!!!

The other nice quality fish was a tail walkin' 14" that soon as it hit, it was jumping 3ft out of the water and walkin' across the water!!!

Same fish was so lively he gave me a nice fish flop photo!!!

If you go, be prepared to exercise your legs a lot! It feels great to get out and hike and then have the river be willing to give you an opportunity with some gorgeous and crafty fish!
    #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
    -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
    -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
    -PH

You apparently have a way with rod and camera!
    Great post; I love that place!

Comment

Absolutely beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
        Simple Goat Herder
        Former NGTO President
        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Nice.
          -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

Enough is enough!
            I might have to make a trip happen this weekend or the next. For one reason or another I’ve bailed on two trips in the past couple of months, but I think it’s time for me to see if that river lives up to it’s reputation.

Great pictures and report!
            Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Now that's a report!!! Thanks for the trail pics man they are sooo good! =) Nice fish too!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great report! I'm ashamed I've never been to that part of the river if only for the views.

I've spent an afternoon on the river around Bullpen Gap in NC but never in GA/SC . From what I can tell the SC DH is north of 28 and the GA DH is at Burrells Ford. Is that correct?

Comment

Nice fish

Comment

Originally posted by stodgeball View Post
                    Great report! I'm ashamed I've never been to that part of the river if only for the views.

I've spent an afternoon on the river around Bullpen Gap in NC but never in GA/SC . From what I can tell the SC DH is north of 28 and the GA DH is at Burrells Ford. Is that correct?
                    Thanks for checking out the report! From not having been up there in years and reading up on it, the DH for both Ga. & SC starts at the Hwy. 28 bridge and goes up to the mouth of Reeds Creek. Anything above that, though heli stocked as fingerlings, is mostly wild trout that reproduce. I could be completely wrong, but that has been my interpretation of what Iíve read and seen from returning after a long absence. Challenging fishing though.
                    #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                    -PH

Comment

Awesome report and pics man. If you don’t mind me asking, what’s been the hot ticket for you up there lately? Thinking of making a trip in a week to camp for a night or two where the east fork joins the main stem.

Comment

"Mostly," but not entirely. A lot of the DH fish swim upstream. The bridge at Burrell's Ford is stocked as is the campground downstream of Burrell's Ford.

Comment

Do you prefer to hike the SC or GA side?

Comment

Originally posted by Philhutch80 View Post
                            Thanks for checking out the report! From not having been up there in years and reading up on it, the DH for both Ga. & SC starts at the Hwy. 28 bridge and goes up to the mouth of Reeds Creek. Anything above that, though heli stocked as fingerlings, is mostly wild trout that reproduce. I could be completely wrong, but that has been my interpretation of what Iíve read and seen from returning after a long absence. Challenging fishing though.
                            https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9259...3978,14z?hl=en

Phil is correct...DH is from Ben Russell bridge (Hwy 28) to Reed Creek 2 miles upriver on GA side...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by hstokes14 View Post
                              Awesome report and pics man. If you donít mind me asking, whatís been the hot ticket for you up there lately? Thinking of making a trip in a week to camp for a night or two where the east fork joins the main stem.
                              I sling meat so mainly streamers like sculpzillas but there have been lots of Stone fly and March Browns coming off the water. From the few risers I saw it looked like they were going after emergers. That trip should be worth your time just be aware there is a ton of downed trees and deadfalls in the stream the further in you go.

Originally posted by Znorton View Post
                              "Mostly," but not entirely. A lot of the DH fish swim upstream. The bridge at Burrell's Ford is stocked as is the campground downstream of Burrell's Ford.
                              There is a good chance no DH fish would swim that far upstream. We are talking several river miles and over some larger rapids in between Burrells Ford and the DH. Not sure when they last stocked at the Ford or the campground, anyone have that info?

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
                              Do you prefer to hike the SC or GA side?
                              Lumis, nice first fish!!!
                              Iíve mainly been hiking the SC side. I have hiked the Georgia side but it has far more downed trees from this past fall and winter storms. The farther in you go, the more deadfalls both in the stream and on or around the trail you will find. Currently the East Fork is slap full of deadfall. Made fishing tough but well worth it!
                              #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                              -PH

Comment

Working...
                              X