The first trip of many

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first trip of many

The Corp has really been testing my loyalty to the hooch lately. Today I had had enough! Recently I’ve heard so many people rant and rave about the chattooga, so I woke up way to dam early and made my way up to Burrells Ford to get a break from these tsunami releases and also to see what all the fuss is about.
    I initially through streamers which was a mistake. These blue bird sky’s had em hunkered down deep.
    So about an hour in I started nymphing and it didn’t take long to get into some healthy browns. All the browns I caught were between 13-15”(a nice change from all the snits I’ve been catching lately) and I broke one off that might’ve been(but probably wasn’t) 16”+. I landed a couple stockers as well. One of which looked like he had found himself on the business end of some big ol kype jaw. He had an identical chunk missing from his other gill plate.
    After a few hours of productive and serene fishing I made the dreaded two and a half hour drive back to loganville to rejoin society once again.
    While it might be a little far for another day trip anytime soon I will definitely be back armed with a tent sooner rather than later.
    This was an incredible fishing trip and I’m so glad I finally made it up to the chattooga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Some nice looking wauld braans in there.

Comment

Was this upstream of the bridge? Pictures look familiar.

Great browns. I've caught browns at the DH but haven't caught any at Burrels yet. Might have to go again.

Comment

Beautiful fishes and scenery. Looks like the Moonshine Rod is working for you. Great report.
        "A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined..." George Washington

Comment

Great Report Erik! Browns and the scenery are stunning!

Comment

Originally posted by Lumis View Post
            Was this upstream of the bridge? Pictures look familiar.

Great browns. I've caught browns at the DH but haven't caught any at Burrels yet. Might have to go again.
            Yes i fished about a mile or two above the bridge.

Comment

Nice report. I would challenge all of us to follow “keep em wet” dot com. Great science on keeping fish in the water while we take out photos.

Comment

Nice report Erik! The Chattooga is tough but amazing rive to fish! I plan on more trips myself and want to see if there are some dinosaur browns left in her. Those fish, like the Hooch browns will take an immense amount of work! Who is up for the challenge?
                #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                -PH

Comment

Originally posted by mpeagan View Post
                  Nice report. I would challenge all of us to follow “keep em wet” dot com. Great science on keeping fish in the water while we take out photos.
                  Of course there's great science in not fishing for then harms then even less!

Nice job Erik!!
                  I like em big fat and sloppy.

Comment

Nice fish

Comment

Erik,
                      I think I may have met you at the trailhead and saw you at the fly shop. Was that you in the beanie cap and Toyota truck?

Anyway, I've fished this water above Burrell's Ford a good bit, but I've never had a truly great day. I've had some good days. I grew up backpacking with my dad there, so I keep returning for the challenge, beauty, and sentimental reasons. I didn't have as much luck (or likely as much skill!) as you Saturday. I only landed one then.

The water was high. Bugs were hatching everywhere, but I never saw a riser. I struggled to get my flies deep enough as I left my streamers and weighted flies in the truck after talking to Karl. Thought it was going to be more of a day with the dry flies, but that never panned out.

Anyway, nice job. Nice fish!
                      Last edited by fishteeth; 06-08-18, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Yes, that was me. That’s a beautiful brown. So much red!
                        I was also surprised at the lack of top water activity. And I promise you I was struggling at first. I finally found my rhythm in the slower runs/ tail outs.
                        I hooked the majority of fish drifting and swinging an olive micro bugger that was super weighted. It’s my go to fly. It gets deep in a hurry! I’ll change my droppers frequently, but that one or a variant is almost always my anchor.

Comment

Originally posted by fishteeth View Post
                          Erik,
                          I think I may have met you at the trailhead and saw you at the fly shop. Was that you in the beanie cap and Toyota truck?

Anyway, I've fished this water above Burrell's Ford a good bit, but I've never had a truly great day. I've had some good days. I grew up backpacking with my dad there, so I keep returning for the challenge, beauty, and sentimental reasons. I didn't have as much luck (or likely as much skill!) as you Saturday. I only landed one then.

The water was high. Bugs were hatching everywhere, but I never saw a riser. I struggled to get my flies deep enough as I left my streamers and weighted flies in the truck after talking to Karl. Thought it was going to be more of a day with the dry flies, but that never panned out.

Anyway, nice job. Nice fish!
                          Now THAT is a purty brown! Well done sir!
                          #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                          -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                          -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                          -PH

Comment

Erik,
                            Great. Glad to have met you. Glad you had a good day on the river and figured it out! As you mentioned, the best way to do the Chattooga is an overnight trip.

Comment

Working...
                            X