Brook Trout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brook Trout

I fished the Toccoa this past weekend (not in the DH section). More than half the fish I caught were Brook Trout. I don't have pictures because it was raining and I didn't take my phone with me. But they are beautiful and pretty good size too! Is there a reason for the Brook Trout suddenly showing up? Is this some type of new program by the DNR?

I've been fishing up there for about 3 years now and never caught a Brook Trout. I must have caught 20 this weekend.

Originally posted by doubleheadcrowe View Post
    I fished the Toccoa this past weekend (not in the DH section). More than half the fish I caught were Brook Trout. I don't have pictures because it was raining and I didn't take my phone with me. But they are beautiful and pretty good size too! Is there a reason for the Brook Trout suddenly showing up? Is this some type of new program by the DNR?

I've been fishing up there for about 3 years now and never caught a Brook Trout. I must have caught 20 this weekend.
    Depending on where you were, the fish were probably from the DH. Brook trout have a incredible habit of moving around once stocked. Ive caught fish in helen just a day or two after the smith creek DH is stocked with brookies. For an extreme exmple, a tiger trout was caught in allatoona from way up the Amicalola. Brook trout make like a missile (usually)

If you were fishing the tailwater, its likely that the state just put in some brookies during their normal stocking.
    Last edited by ferrulewax; 03-12-18, 05:02 PM.
    Jackson Dockery
    sigpic
    My Instagram
    Unicoi Outfitters

Comment

I've caught some stocked brooks in the Toccoa Tailwater from time to time. Seems like it's always early spring. I think the Rock Creek hatchery releases some in late winter/early spring.

Comment

Originally posted by buckman1 View Post
        I've caught some stocked brooks in the Toccoa Tailwater from time to time. Seems like it's always early spring. I think the Rock Creek hatchery releases some in late winter/early spring.
        Buckman knows that territory very well...I'd listen to his thoughts on this for sure..
        Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Every year the hatchery drops in som brookies. They only drop them in once or twice though in early spring like stated above. They are a nice treat.
          Check out my personal Facebook page Tight Lines Joe of North Georgia and my Instagram Page Tightlinesjoe where I give tips on different tactics, stream reports and pictures of Georgia trout!

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!

Comment

Hey seem to be a little more aggressive than the rainbows. I caught a lot of them stripping a woolybugger.

Comment

I was told on here the brook trout come from the Chattahoochee National Fish Hatchery and the state of Georgia does not raise any brook trout.

Comment

You guys with a facebook, go follow/like the Chattahoochee National Fish Hatchery. They post updates on stocking and other info, lots of pics too.

Last year at some point, they posted some pics and video about the million or some-odd brook trout fry they just received from Dale Hollow (or some other hatchery to their West). I asked (kinda cynically) if they were northern or southern strain, and they said.... they didn't know lol.

But yeah, they raise a lot and stock them.
                Resident Tenkara Nerd

Comment

Thanks! I went to the Facebook page and there is a video of them stocking Brookies in the Toccoa. It said they stocked in the DH section and the tailwaters. I was fishing upstream of the DH and I was a few miles away. So they've either stocked them in other areas or the Brook Trout really do cover some water! Either way, I'm glad they are there! I will be back up there next week hopefully.

Comment

I take it the feds stock streams on the national forest and the DNR stocks streams off the national forest?

Comment

Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
                      I was told on here the brook trout come from the Chattahoochee National Fish Hatchery and the state of Georgia does not raise any brook trout.
                      The Rock Creek hatchery is the National Fish Hatchery.

Originally posted by trout1980 View Post
                      I take it the feds stock streams on the national forest and the DNR stocks streams off the national forest?
                      It's a bit more varied than that, and like everything else, with time the waters get a bit muddied.

As with the brouhaha a few years back which, in a politically incorrect nut shell, the hippies of the Obama FWS tried to do away with trout stocking at Rock Creek and other mitigation hatcheries in order to prioritize endangered species by some defunding shenanigans to the trout stocking. Good ole boys in the states and feds from the area did not like it because of the economic benefit derived from the trout. Outcome, the trout are still there. For the record, I like both the hippies and the good ole boys.

FWS has a pretty good web site explaining their purpose:

https://www.fws.gov/chattahoocheefor...outus.html#who
                      Last edited by THE EG; 03-16-18, 05:01 PM.
                      If this were rocket science most of us wouldn't be doing it. - Terry Creech

Comment

Working...
                      X