Another good trip to toccoa tailwater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another good trip to toccoa tailwater

Fished the toccoa tailwater again this weekend and had a great time. I caught plenty of fish, caught one of the nicer bows that I have caught on the tailwater in a while, caught a brookie, but you will see the highlight of the weekend in the video below.

I ran into a guy named Joe on the river. I struck up a conversation with him and found out he was a firefighter. He told me he has been fishing most of his life but was fairly new to fly fishing. He had been trying off and on for a year or two to catch a trout on the fly rod. He said it was a bucket list item for him so I invited him to follow me and see if I could help him. I carried him to a honey hole that was performing well a week or so ago. I helped him with his set up and tied on a streamer that has always worked for me there. I helped him with his casting a bit and his retrieve. He started getting hits right away and then he hooked up!!! He was so excited that he dropped his fly rod and didn't even realize it. I enjoyed seeing him catch his first trout more than any of the ones I caught. Congratulations Joe and thank you for your service.

VIDEO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54BIeqBFBE

Pics

One of the views from our cabin
    view by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Tailwater Brookie
    brookie by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Very respectable tailwater bow
    bow3 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

bow4 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

rainbow by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

bownet by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Streamer of the day
    matsuka by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Beautiful Rainbow
    bow2 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Another meateater
    bow by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr
    I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
    sigpic

That is awesome!! I bet heíll tell that story for a long, long time. Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see you found a use for that UV peacock eye dubbing you picked up! Looking good.
      http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

That's a feel good video right there, thanks for sharing!

Comment

That video and the photos just flat out made my day! I totally "hazz a happy" today!
          If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
            I see you found a use for that UV peacock eye dubbing you picked up! Looking good.
            Yep and the zonker strips and orange tungsten beads. Not sure if u can tell from the pic but they had beat the fly so much that the wire ribbing was busted and the zonker was just attached behind the bead. Was still working though. Thanks again for the materials
            I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks sighter and swamp angel. You should have seen ole Joe. A big burly firefighter was like an eight year old kid with a new toy when he caught that trout. It made standing in the rain worth every minute.

------Team Norvise------
              sigpic

Comment

Great view from your cabin, pretty fish, and a neat video! Kevin, you are the man!
                "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Originally posted by HILLIS LANIER View Post
                  Great view from your cabin, pretty fish, and a neat video! Kevin, you are the man!
                  Thanks hillis let me know when u wanna come up.

------Team Norvise------
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks like the Toccoa is fishing well.

On Joe dropping his rod on landing his first trout on a fly, I've done the same thing with my rod while unhooking a fish. Not once, but several times, and in big fast water. Once, I nearly lost the whole thing.

John

Comment

Originally posted by jgraham140 View Post
                      Looks like the Toccoa is fishing well.

On Joe dropping his rod on landing his first trout on a fly, I've done the same thing with my rod while unhooking a fish. Not once, but several times, and in big fast water. Once, I nearly lost the whole thing.

John
                      Luckily we were standing in slow moving water. He made the comment later that it could have been an expensive first trout lol

------Team Norvise------
                      sigpic

Comment

Canít remember the brand name but I bought a rod clip that securely attaches to my chest pack...sure makes life a little less worrisome.

Comment

Fishing well

I was able to float the tailwater last week. Definitely fishing well. Caught a brookie, a few browns, and a bunch of rainbows. There was a good mix of wild fish, SNITs, and pellet fed pigs. I saw some rainbows spawning, which was cool.
                          http://southernhighlandsflyrod.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AK Pipeline View Post
                            I was able to float the tailwater last week. Definitely fishing well. Caught a brookie, a few browns, and a bunch of rainbows. There was a good mix of wild fish, SNITs, and pellet fed pigs. I saw some rainbows spawning, which was cool.
                            Yeah a lot of the bows I've caught lately have been releasing eggs. I've seen a lot of surface activity lately too. Time to start tying some tiny dry flies.

------Team Norvise------
                            sigpic

Comment

That is exactly what the sport is all about. Great stuff here!

Comment

Working...
                              X