Fun on the Toccoa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun on the Toccoa

I had a great weekend on the river. Sighter came up to visit Saturday and Marius came up for a visit on Sunday. I caught good numbers of trout and my personal best toccoa tailwater brookie. I did have an uninvited guest that decided to come say hello as you will see in the first few pics. He gave me a scare but luckily he was as afraid of me as I was of him. Here are some pics. Thanks again for coming up Sighter and Marius. I enjoyed it.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
    Snapshot(1) by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Snapshot2 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Snapshot3 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

Snapshot4 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

20180513_124200 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

20180513_115200 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

20180512_183532 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

20180512_170149 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

20180512_162105 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

20180512_153411 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr

20180512_162054 by Kevin Griffin, on Flickr
    I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
    sigpic

Kevin! I had a great time Saturday, thank you so much for letting me experience your side of paradise for a day. Those toccoa bows made it hard to leave haha. Looking forward to fishing together sometime soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
      Kevin! I had a great time Saturday, thank you so much for letting me experience your side of paradise for a day. Those toccoa bows made it hard to leave haha. Looking forward to fishing together sometime soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Anytime John. It was fun.
      I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
      sigpic

Comment

"Yikes" Is right on the snake..

You fishing out of some sort of boat in those pictures?

Not that you asked, but I've been trying to get better about learning to ID snakes in the last couple years, and from the looks of it that's a banded watersnake. What do you think?
        Any other snake IDers out there can confirm/deny?

..I was going off the bands on its back being wider on the top than on the sides.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
        _yero on instagram

Comment

Originally posted by orey10m View Post

Not that you asked, but I've been trying to get better about learning to ID snakes in the last couple years, and from the looks of it that's a banded watersnake. What do you think?

..I was going off the bands on its back being wider on the top than on the sides.

I'm not sure. Im not good at identifying snakes. I was wading and he was swimming right at me which was not fun regardless what kind of snake he was lol

------Team Norvise------
          sigpic

Comment

I guess I had his uppity metro Atlanta cousin swim by me in the hooch Friday evening. I had just released a bow and looked up to see him 2’ upstream of me. I was in some slack water right next to a pretty swift run. Thankfully he got swept away. That’s the second time that’s happened to me in a year.
            And don’t even get me started on the soft ball sized prehistoric mutant tarantula that tried to climb on me to get out of the current!

Awesome to see that you’re getting settled in. I’m curious is the kayak and tube hatch as thick up there as it is in the hooch?
            Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Nice report...Since your're a toccoa beach front property owner its only right to get a flare gun to shoot at tubers and yakers and yell "Don't feed my fish!"

Originally posted by orey10m View Post

Saw me one last year thinking it was a copperhead cuz its had somewhat a big diamond shaped head but I think it just had something in its gullet so it looked bigger than it actually was. It was sunbathing right next to where I put my rod down without looking first then saw it there mid tinkle. From what I was assured, its a banded watersnake as copperheads tend to be fatter at that length.
              We are the music-makers,
              And we are the dreamers of dreams,
              Wandering by lone sea-breakers
              And sitting by desolate streams;
              World losers and world forsakers,
              On whom the pale moon gleams.

Comment

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
                I guess I had his uppity metro Atlanta cousin swim by me in the hooch Friday evening. I had just released a bow and looked up to see him 2í upstream of me. I was in some slack water right next to a pretty swift run. Thankfully he got swept away. Thatís the second time thatís happened to me in a year.
                And donít even get me started on the soft ball sized prehistoric mutant tarantula that tried to climb on me to get out of the current!

Awesome to see that youíre getting settled in. Iím curious is the kayak and tube hatch as thick up there as it is in the hooch?
                Actually I dont think I have seen any tubers at all so far on my stretch. There are quite a few kayakers depending on the day but I would say no where near the hatches you see at Buford dam. Also they have all been polite and have made sure to pass on the opposite side of the river as to not disturb the run I am fishing. I'm not used to that. I'm used to kayaks running into me on the hooch lol

Gout i hope you are right and it was just a water snake. Either way i wanted nothing to do with him. He was too close for comfort especially considering that he came from behind me and almost went through my legs!!!

------Team Norvise------
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                  Gout i hope you are right and it was just a water snake. Either way i wanted nothing to do with him. He was too close for comfort especially considering that he came from behind me and almost went through my legs!!!
                  I think its a banded water snake since moccasins, copperheads, and other vipers are usually very thick bodied especially at that length. I'm the same way man, snakes are one thing I don't want any part of. For that snake to come from behind man I'd have probably filled my waders up and i'm not talking about with water!

Comment

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
                    I guess I had his uppity metro Atlanta cousin swim by me in the hooch Friday evening. I had just released a bow and looked up to see him 2í upstream of me. I was in some slack water right next to a pretty swift run. Thankfully he got swept away. Thatís the second time thatís happened to me in a year.
                    And donít even get me started on the soft ball sized prehistoric mutant tarantula that tried to climb on me to get out of the current!

Awesome to see that youíre getting settled in. Iím curious is the kayak and tube hatch as thick up there as it is in the hooch?
                    Originally posted by WPrich View Post
                    I think its a banded water snake since moccasins, copperheads, and other vipers are usually very thick bodied especially at that length. I'm the same way man, snakes are one thing I don't want any part of. For that snake to come from behind man I'd have probably filled my waders up and i'm not talking about with water!
                    Indeed. I didnt realize he had come from behind until I got home and watched the video. He must have been on or in the log i was propping on. He didnt cause me to leave the run though I pulled 3 fish out of that run after he had made his way to the bank

------Team Norvise------
                    sigpic

Comment

Its great to be on the river and in the river.

From the looks of the snakes pupils it appears to be the famous water snake.

I can tell you I know didlly about snakes unless their head is blown off with my little 28 gauge.

Comment

A snake swimming that close would have scared the daylights out of me. I noticed you held your ground and kept taking pics. Good report. Good pics. Scary snake, beautiful fish.
                        "Why me Lord what have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I've known" - Kris Kristofferson

Comment

Great report, Prowler! I'm especially jealous of the brookie. I haven't caught one of those since I was eleven years old and on my first Boy Scout camping trip in the Smokies nearly 40 years ago. It's also nice to see a river that's not inundated with tubers yet (the 'Hooch hatch near Duluth is already growing).

That snake is a pretty one, but I'm gonna guess that it's a banded water snake. A member we know as "nc rockhopper" would disagree, but hasn't posted here since a little disagreement regarding snakes occurred in the following thread:
                          Copperhead?

Here's a photo of a copperhead that makes ID unmistakable:

You'll rarely (if ever) find copperheads actually in the water. Their markings are pretty distinct though, so when you see one there ain't no doubt as to what it is. Notice how the markings are very distinct along its body, and how they look like an hourglass turned sideways. A banded water snake's markings are more erratic and resemble stretched spots as opposed to the hourglass shape.

Okay. . . 'nuff said 'bout the snake. Those are some mighty fine fish photos there! I'm quite jealous. I only landed five fish (and about 17 tubers) this weekend. Well done!
                          If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Angel View Post
                            Great report, Prowler! I'm especially jealous of the brookie. I haven't caught one of those since I was eleven years old and on my first Boy Scout camping trip in the Smokies nearly 40 years ago. It's also nice to see a river that's not inundated with tubers yet (the 'Hooch hatch near Duluth is already growing).

That snake is a pretty one, but I'm gonna guess that it's a banded water snake. A member we know as "nc rockhopper" would disagree, but hasn't posted here since a little disagreement regarding snakes occurred in the following thread:
                            Copperhead?

Here's a photo of a copperhead that makes ID unmistakable:

You'll rarely (if ever) find copperheads actually in the water. Their markings are pretty distinct though, so when you see one there ain't no doubt as to what it is. Notice how the markings are very distinct along its body, and how they look like an hourglass turned sideways. A banded water snake's markings are more erratic and resemble stretched spots as opposed to the hourglass shape.

Okay. . . 'nuff said 'bout the snake. Those are some mighty fine fish photos there! I'm quite jealous. I only landed five fish (and about 17 tubers) this weekend. Well done!
                            The brookie was the highlight of the day. It's the second one I have caught in the same area over the last couple weeks. He was strong too and put up a good fight. I think counting that one,I've only caught about 6 brookies on the toccoa tailwater over the last few years so to catch two over the last couple weeks makes me happy. I guess TVA started stocking them regularly this year???

------Team Norvise------
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm not 100% sold on your snake being a water snake. I was always told the all venomous snakes swim with their entie body on top of the water. Yours is pretty close to that. Water snakes swim with about 80% of their body underwater.

If I had been there, I would have seen it as 20 copperheads! LOL

I hope the pic of the swimming copperhead uploaded.

Nope, it failed to upload.

Comment

Working...
                              X