http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/FernValleyBanner_2014.gif
http://georgia-outdoors.com/images/ngto/banners/2012NovNGTOBanner.gif

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another sleepless night due to the one that got away!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sleepless night due to the one that got away!

Went to the river today. It was a nice 34 degrees when I pulled into the parking lot. The fishing has been slow lately with the water being so warm so I was glad to see some cooler weather even though I couldn't feel my fingers. I had a better day and the trout seem to be more active and enjoying the cooler weather. I was about to leave and was at the point where I tell myself......."Ok 3 more cast and then head home" when...........BAM!!!!!!!! I set the hook on what I expected to be a stocker. NOPE!!! The battle commenced. I had alot of fly line out and was trying my best to get all the line in and get him on the reel which was no easy task. Then he decided to do a quick circle around my boots and head down stream. The reel screamed and he head straight for a set of rocks in the middle of the river. I saw it happening but there was nothing I could do to stop it. He was simply to strong and of course I was fishing 7x!!! He went to the rocks and everything stopped. I kept tension and reeled up the slacked as I waded downstream to the rocks. I figured he had gotten me hung on them and had gotten off. NOPE. I guess he was just hiding behind them and when I got close to them he took off again and snapped the tippet!!! Here is the video of the short battle minus the F-bomb at the end. (Sorry for the camera angle. Didn't realize it was pointed so far downward until I got home)

VIDEO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vte1yfTbKL8
    I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
    sigpic

Oh man, So sorry Kevin, first the brown and now this I am sure you're going to land an even bigger one soon enough, you know where they live! If you pause the video at the right second you can definitely get a good look at him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
      Oh man, So sorry Kevin, first the brown and now this I am sure you're going to land an even bigger one soon enough, you know where they live! If you pause the video at the right second you can definitely get a good look at him.
      Yeah I think he made a loop around my boots just to add insult to injury
      I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

------Team Norvise------
      sigpic

Comment

Bummer! I think it might be time for another trip your way!
        Fly tying instagram @erikclymore

Comment

Originally posted by erikclymore View Post
          Bummer! I think it might be time for another trip your way!
          Anytime Erik.

------Team Norvise------
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
            Went to the river today. It was a nice 34 degrees when I pulled into the parking lot. The fishing has been slow lately with the water being so warm so I was glad to see some cooler weather even though I couldn't feel my fingers. I had a better day and the trout seem to be more active and enjoying the cooler weather. I was about to leave and was at the point where I tell myself......."Ok 3 more cast and then head home" when...........BAM!!!!!!!! I set the hook on what I expected to be a stocker. NOPE!!! The battle commenced. I had alot of fly line out and was trying my best to get all the line in and get him on the reel which was no easy task. Then he decided to do a quick circle around my boots and head down stream. The reel screamed and he head straight for a set of rocks in the middle of the river. I saw it happening but there was nothing I could do to stop it. He was simply to strong and of course I was fishing 7x!!! He went to the rocks and everything stopped. I kept tension and reeled up the slacked as I waded downstream to the rocks. I figured he had gotten me hung on them and had gotten off. NOPE. I guess he was just hiding behind them and when I got close to them he took off again and snapped the tippet!!! Here is the video of the short battle minus the F-bomb at the end. (Sorry for the camera angle. Didn't realize it was pointed so far downward until I got home)

VIDEO
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vte1yfTbKL8
            Kevin, I have watched this three times on my computer and three times on the projector I have at work (1080p) and that looks like a BIG ole at least 24" hen brown from watching the youtube video slowed down. I think you are trending the correct direction sir, just may wanna go down to 6x or 5x next time, lol.
            Also, Amazon sells an $18 polarizing kit for GoPro's. I invested in it and it is awesome! I would recommend it for your camera as it will really give you a better idea of what is going on cuz you can see so much more.
            I will bring the 4wt and my normal armory, just let me know when I can get up there to learn the Wicker Man pattern and we can go chase some of these big boys n girls! You are getting close man!!! Stoked for you!!!
            #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
            -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
            -PH

Comment

Sorry you lost that pig. Saw some of your videos Kevin. You have caught some huge trout. Like the video with you and Big T.

Comment

Thanks Phil. I'll check into that. And the only reason I was using 7x is I was fishing size 18 flies wasnt expecting to have a pig play hide and seek with me behind some rocks He was smart. He went straight for them and even though I saw it happening I could stop it from happening

Trout Hunter. Thanks. I have caught some big trout over the years but I dont know there is just something special when you hook into a pig on public tailwater. I can tell you that fish was one of the stronger trout i have had on the long rod. When he made the downstream run he was like a missile Makes me wanna go back for round two lol

------Team Norvise------
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler View Post
                  Thanks Phil. I'll check into that. And the only reason I was using 7x is I was fishing size 18 flies wasnt expecting to have a pig play hide and seek with me behind some rocks He was smart. He went straight for them and even though I saw it happening I could stop it from happening

Trout Hunter. Thanks. I have caught some big trout over the years but I dont know there is just something special when you hook into a pig on public tailwater. I can tell you that fish was one of the stronger trout i have had on the long rod. When he made the downstream run he was like a missile Makes me wanna go back for round two lol
                  No problem Kevin! I get why you were using the 7x, lol. It is amazing that even with all the pressure created from a long 10ft rod and the line and leader set up that you just could not create enough to turn it's head.
                  #JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                  -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
                  -PH

Comment

Do you think it was a big brown the way it shot back to its hole like a rocket?

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Hunter 18 View Post
                      Do you think it was a big brown the way it shot back to its hole like a rocket?
                      At first I thought it was a big bow but after experiencing the strength and the pure speed he had it was indicative of a big brown. Gotta love the way he went into the rocks and wedged in between them and just sat there until I waded up close to him. The line actually broke at the 5x part of the leader and was really rough feeling along the leader for about 12 inches so the line scrubbed on rocks as he shot out of his hiding spot

------Team Norvise------
                      sigpic

Comment

Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
                        Simple Goat Herder
                        Former NGTO President
                        Hall of Fame Member

Comment

#JBNavy

-Chinese Proverb