Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chattooga Helicopter Stocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chattooga Helicopter Stocking

    Does anyone know if GA or SC will be helicopter stocking Chattooga DH this week?

  • #2
    Originally posted by andytheengineer View Post
    Does anyone know if GA or SC will be helicopter stocking Chattooga DH this week?
    According to Jeff Durniak, all DH water will have trout in them by Nov 1st. I have no clue if they are getting them in the Chattooga DH via helicopter. or by stocking truck.

    PS: I know they use the helicopter to stock the remote stretches of the river (between Burrells Ford Rd and Hwy 28), but did not know they used it for the DH stocking as well?
    Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

    Buck Henry
    Simple Goat Herder
    Former NGTO President
    Hall of Fame Member

    Comment


    • #3
      A friend of mine usually flies that route. I will see if he will give any intel.
      Catch the energy
      Release the potential

      Comment


      • #4
        They have stocked by helicopter in the past for DH. There will hopefully be high flows after they stock to spread them out some with the rain. It would be awesome to find out before the weekend: though we will probably be waiting until the next Dredger's report for the official word.

        Comment


        • #5
          Any update for helicopter stocking this week? Dredger's report said they would try again this week. Thinking about taking some people to the Chattooga Saturday. This last Saturday was good but the fish were definitely podded up. They should be spread out some by this weekend but I'm thinking they are saving the larger number of fish for the helicopter stock.

          Comment


          • #6
            Not saying helicopters do not fly in this but they probably will not be stocking this week either due to the weather. If you are essentially 'waiting on the stocking truck' (helicopter) that could teach some bad habits to anglers in the future. Given how beautiful that entire river is, I am sure the scenery can provide a stellar enough distraction if there are not fish, but the fish will be there! Guaranteed all the rain will spread the fish out but given how high the flows have been all summer there will be plenty of fish that have held around.
            #JBNavy

            "Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
            -Chinese Proverb

            “At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
            -Norman Maclean

            "We are what we hunt."
            -PH

            Comment


            • #7
              I've not tried the Chattooga yet and it was actually next on my list. is the 76 bridge out of Clayton a good place for a first timer or do you normally go further up?

              Comment


              • #8
                I have never caught a trout at the 76 bridge. You would be better starting at the 28 bridge and fishing upstream. There is a trail on both the SC and GA side of the bridge. If you are starting on the SC side, you will want to ford the river shortly after the fields next to the river going upstream. This is the delayed harvest section.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Chattooga DH was helicopter stocked yesterday, and truck stocked last week. There were some really fine fish put in!

                  The stocking was a joint venture between the GA DNR and SC DNR, which provided the fish; the US Forest Service, which provided the helicopter and crew; and the Rabun Chapter TU and GA Council TU which paid for the helicopter costs.

                  If you enjoy fishing the Chattooga DH, please support these organizations. How? Purchase a GA trout license plate and join Trout Unlimited!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by random_lengths View Post
                    If you enjoy fishing the Chattooga DH, please support these organizations. How? Purchase a GA trout license plate and join Trout Unlimited!
                    AMEN! Every member of NGTO should be a member of Trout Unlimited.
                    Jimmy Harris
                    Unicoi Liars Club
                    Unicoi Outfitters Online Store

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
                      AMEN! Every member of NGTO should be a member of Trout Unlimited.


                      +1


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Having never been up to the Chattooga I would just like to clarify the DH section. Does it start at the 28 bridge and is it accessible right at the bridge or do I have to take one of the trails further up? What should I expect as far as the water? Wide flat and open or steep deep and fast? Any input is appreciated.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kmccrary View Post
                          Having never been up to the Chattooga I would just like to clarify the DH section. Does it start at the 28 bridge and is it accessible right at the bridge or do I have to take one of the trails further up? What should I expect as far as the water? Wide flat and open or steep deep and fast? Any input is appreciated.
                          Chattooga Delayed Harvest begins at the GA Hwy 28 bridge and extends upstream to the mouth of Reed Creek. Yes, it is accessible right at the bridge. Or you can:

                          Option 1 - park at the Hwy 28 bridge on SC side. Walk up the trail a couple hundred yards, cross the river at a well-used crossing. Fisherman's trail up the GA side.

                          Option 2 - park at the gated road on GA side. Walk up the gated road to fields.

                          Just go - you'll figure out how to get on the water.

                          The river is wide enough for fly casting, lots of riffles and runs, ledges, and pools.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by random_lengths View Post
                            The Chattooga DH was helicopter stocked yesterday, and truck stocked last week. There were some really fine fish put in!

                            The stocking was a joint venture between the GA DNR and SC DNR, which provided the fish; the US Forest Service, which provided the helicopter and crew; and the Rabun Chapter TU and GA Council TU which paid for the helicopter costs.

                            If you enjoy fishing the Chattooga DH, please support these organizations. How? Purchase a GA trout license plate and join Trout Unlimited!
                            Excellent news sir! Thanks for the update!
                            #JBNavy

                            "Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
                            -Chinese Proverb

                            “At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
                            -Norman Maclean

                            "We are what we hunt."
                            -PH

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by random_lengths View Post
                              Chattooga Delayed Harvest begins at the GA Hwy 28 bridge and extends upstream to the mouth of Reed Creek. Yes, it is accessible right at the bridge. Or you can:

                              Option 1 - park at the Hwy 28 bridge on SC side. Walk up the trail a couple hundred yards, cross the river at a well-used crossing. Fisherman's trail up the GA side.

                              Option 2 - park at the gated road on GA side. Walk up the gated road to fields.

                              Just go - you'll figure out how to get on the water.

                              The river is wide enough for fly casting, lots of riffles and runs, ledges, and pools.
                              I made it up to the Chattooga for the first time yesterday. Parking areas were all pretty full but didn't see anybody on the river. Started on the SC side, crossed over at the end of the fields and went up maybe another 1/2 mile. Must not have gone far enough. Did catch a couple of rainbows though. Will definitely go back.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X