Contrary to my previous belief...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrary to my previous belief...

you do NOT have to travel to the BIG EASY for great sight-casting to skinny-water fish. I'd like to thank Scott Wagner of Savannah Fly Fishing Charters for temporary relief from my serious case of saltwater withdrawals.

http://www.savannahfly.com/
    Attached Files

Skinny Water Reds

The Georgia Coast has great sight casting for reds, and it is relatively undiscovered.

Winter is a great time to go. The water clears and the schools of reds can number in the hundreds.

Capt. Dave
    www.flycastcharters.com
    "Hunting fish in the Marshes of Glynn"
    Capt. Dave
    Fly Cast Charters of St. Simons Island, GA
    "Hunting Fish in the Marshes of Glynn"
    www.flycastcharters.com
    FFF Certified Casting Instructor
    Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide

Comment

Nice....

Comment

Thanks GB... I even got to test my "Louisiana" style redfish fly designs and found that they work equally well on the Georgia Coast!

Comment

That is a trophy trout! Were you seeing a good number of tailers?

Comment

Zac... the beast of a trout was quite a bonus since I'd already landed 8 reds on that same fly. I rarely get specks or anything else besides reds to eat my spoonfly. It was my first trip to this area, but according to Scott Wagner - NOW is the time to sight-cast to big trout on the same flats as the reds. We did see several small pods of tailing reds right up against oyster bars in about 6 inches of water. I assumed those fish were keying on crabs or shrimp. We also found several larger schools of reds eating finger mullet in water less than one foot deep.

Comment

Great pix! Thanks, guys.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Glad you got that to work out. Nice fish.

G

Comment

WOW!
                  I need some of that action!!
                  I am in withdrawals from the salt
                  Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs even though checkered with failure, than to take ranks with those poor spirits who never enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Comment

Thanks G ... what's the word from "Morone" world?

nu2trout ... I feel your pain, my New Years fix has already worn off!

Comment

Originally posted by Pescador View Post
                      ... what's the word from "Morone" world?
                      One fish during a long, cold day last weekend. This weekend I didn't get out. Lots of bait, birds, etc. up north in the creeks, but fish were sulky and who wants to mess with the cold? I envision another trip this coming weekend with pre- or mid-front conditions.

G

Comment

Very cool. Savannah has great sight-fishing for reds. the one thing SE Louisiana has that GA doesn't is 30+ lb fish in shallow water, but I've always felt that a healthy 8 or 9 lb red pulls harder than the biggest fish. Nice trout also
                        ________
                        Ducati 500SL Pantah
                        Last edited by sightfisherman; 01-26-11, 01:39 PM.

Comment

FlyG ... would you be yaking this weekend, or using some other vessel?

Comment

SightF ... I was delighted to learn about the opportunities to sight-fish in the Savannah area... I can't wait to go back! I grew up fishing in SE Louisiana and still go there whenever possible, but my personal experience has been that 30+ lb reds in shallow water are not common (at least in the places I frequent - Myrtle Grove and around Reggio/Hopedale/Delacroix Island). I do catch my share (maybe more than my share) of 7 - 15 lb reds. On the other hand, Captain Wagner told me about some places near Savannah where there are good numbers of bull reds at certain times of the year. He tells me he does indeed sight-cast to them and they will eagerly eat flies. In two full days, Scott Wagner delivered on everything he promised, so I intend to confirm this phenomenon myself! He also tells of catching tripletail on the fly. I love a good fish story when it is true. I am giddy with anticipation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pescador View Post
                              I'd like to thank Scott Wagner of Savannah Fly Fishing Charters for temporary relief from my serious case of saltwater withdrawals.
                              Next time you have the urge for relief but not the time to go to the coast, you need to call Buck Ernst for a "local" salt water experience. He lives a stones throw from Athens and has a wonderful fishery!

HC

Comment

Working...
                              X