4-3 St. Simons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-3 St. Simons

The winter pattern is changing, and some of the flats that held fish during the winter are now barren, but there are a few low tide flats that still hold fish. But that means no more fishing in coats and gloves. We have had temps in the 80's, clear skies and light winds for the last several days, finally.

I had two Tenneseans in the boat this weekend, and believe it or not, there wasn't any trash talk about UGA/UT.

We ran to a low tide flat at first light on Saturday. We had only been poling for a few minutes before we sighted the first school. We worked slowly to the edge of the school. Carter is a good caster, and was able to make an accurate 60' presentation. On his third cast, he was rewarded with a fat, 7 lb redfish. Then the party started. The fish poured onto the flat as the water came in and we were into finning and tailing fish constantly for the next three hours. Carter had three more strong strikes, but he forgot to strip strike. We ran to a high tide flat where I have been seeing floaters pretty consistently for the last few days. However, the wind came up and the light went flat, and seeing the fish before we busted them was impossible.

So, Carter batted 250. Not too bad for a rookie salt water fly fisherman.

I also attached a photo of a cool sight in the Marshes of Glynn.

The fly of the day was an original pattern, Capt. Dave's Double Rattle Flash Crab. Check out the website for pictures. I have also added a few new tips and techniques.

The Triple Tail should start showing up in a few weeks, and the redfish could begin tailing on the next spring tides in two weeks. Come enoy this remarkable, overlooked flyfishery in Georgia.
    Last edited by DavidEdens; 09-02-11, 12:41 PM.
    Capt. Dave
    Fly Cast Charters of St. Simons Island, GA
    "Hunting Fish in the Marshes of Glynn"
    www.flycastcharters.com
    FFF Certified Casting Instructor
    Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide

Double Rattle Flash Crab

I have posted the pattern and pictures on my website.

Check it out.
    Capt. Dave
    Fly Cast Charters of St. Simons Island, GA
    "Hunting Fish in the Marshes of Glynn"
    www.flycastcharters.com
    FFF Certified Casting Instructor
    Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide

Comment

Working...
    X