Saint Simons, Late Winter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Simons, Late Winter

Earlier this we had a break from the cold and wind. I had a good client from Florida fish with me. After poling on the high outgoing and only seeing two or three smaller schools, I worked my way over to a creek mouth. We were rewarded with several schools of 50-100 redfish. The water was clear, and Tim took some great shots. We brought two over-slot reds to the boat, and one puppy drum. In the second photo, note how clear the water is. A seven weight with a lightly weighted red fox tail clouser was the fly of choice Monday.

The weather is improving. Highs are forecast in the 80's later this week. The big school/clear water pattern will last for another month or so. While it can be difficult to find the red fish this time of year, when we do find them, there are a lot of them. With the water warming, they are aggreessive and hungry. If the wind gives us a break, March could be an outstanding month.

April will bring the return of the triple tail to the Golden Isles. This is a unique sight fishery that you should experience.

If you come to St. Simons/Jekyll/Sea Island for Spring Break, give me a call and let's go, "Hunt fish in the Marshes of Glynn."

Capt. Dave
    Fly Cast Charters of St. Simons Island, GA
    "Hunting Fish in the Marshes of Glynn"
    www.flycastcharters.com
    FFF Certified Casting Instructor
    Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide

Nice! The weather has definitely been less than desirable for a while now.

Comment

Working...
    X