X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OZhw-aQTP8

"Just a creepin...."

The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

clock is officially "ticking".....see you derelicts in about 26 hours.
      There are no shortcuts to any place worth going--Beverly Sills

Comment

Those deer are having "Doritos" withdrawal.

Comment

It's on Again

Today was a rest day. We ate a big breakfast at The Bucktooth Rooster in Big Pine. EG did some work on his computer and I did some exploring. I found an old Cuban raft washed up in the mangroves, and a cabin cruiser on its side...hidden behind some mangroves.

I took Baldea's advice and went out to the patch reefs. I caught a really nice mutton snapper on a Yozuri. I also caught some yellowtails. Water was a bit rough....think mechanical bull rough.

Bucky stopped by while we were making dinner.

We are headed out in a few to fish the evening tide. Lots of toofy critters out and about. Wish us luck.

Pichers to follow....

Last edited by Drifter; 05-03-17, 04:31 PM.
          The Drifter

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

It's on Again

Well this evening was certainly interesting.

EG and I went out and caught some pinfish. Then anchored under the bridge and drifted the pinfish about four-feet below a balloon. Ten minutes in.....the balloon gets snatched out of sight. I pulled the line tight and had a brief fight....then nothing. The pinfish didn't fare so well. Put on a fresh pinfish and a few minutes later....fish on. A 50-plus pound tarpon jumped three times before throwing the hook. Just dam.

Had a couple of toofy critters bite off the next two pinfish....so now I'm down to my last bait. Pitched it out next to a bridge piling and the balloon disappears. I reel tight and the fight is on. The tarpon surfaced and threw the hook again. Darn.

Back at it again tomorrow.
            Last edited by Drifter; 05-03-17, 07:56 PM.
            The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Multiple tarpon bites? Heck yeah!!

No hookups?

Trout sets? Can you strip set on a spinning outfit?

FM
              The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

The Pinfish Fear Us
                sigpic
                ad illudendum , et in sibilum

"Laughter is my drug of choice"
                - B. Nelson, HSD, AA, BS, MS, LPC, LMHC, NCC, FFF CCI, ACI, PADI AD, OPP, OCD, ADHD, ODD, PIB, MIB, PBR, PB & J, General Manager of the World, Fluent in Sarcasm

TBoy to GB: "An education doesn't fix stupid, you're living proof of that "

"Your a Idiott" - RScott

I Beat Tommy King in a Spelling Bee.

Comment

It's on Again

Mark....I'm still trying to nail down this circle hook thing. That coupled with the bony mouth of the tarpon...and its tough. The first one was on about 90 seconds before spitting the hook....the second one...about 20 seconds.
                  The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

I'm thinking about using Gatorbyte as chum.
                    The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                      I'm thinking about using Gatorbyte as chum.
                      going for those big 10 ft+ hammerheads that hang out in that area?
                      I am officially upgrading Gatorbyte from "fly in my ointment" to "thorn in my side". If he happens to elevate himself to "pain in my a$$" I'm gonna blame it on RScott.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

sigpic

Comment

Mark....I'm still trying to nail down this circle hook thing. That coupled with the bony mouth of the tarpon...and its tough. The first one was on about 90 seconds before spitting the hook....the second one...about 20 seconds.
                        I'm sure you already know this, but with circle hooks and tarpon just reel fast until you get a good bend in the rod then drive the hook home by trying to turn the fishes head. That'll normally start them to jumping. When they jump, you want to point your rod tip down to them so the line isn't tight and then you need to get the tension back on when they hit the water. Bow to the king!!!
                        -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

It's on Again

Originally posted by I_got_skunked View Post
                          I'm sure you already know this, but with circle hooks and tarpon just reel fast until you get a good bend in the rod then drive the hook home by trying to turn the fishes head. That'll normally start them to jumping. When they jump, you want to point your rod tip down to them so the line isn't tight and then you need to get the tension back on when they hit the water. Bow to the king!!!

Thanks for the tip. It helps to hear someone else explain it. Thanks!

I try to do all that but it's much more difficult in a kayak. At some point you've got to clear the deck of gear and cut loose the anchor line. Then you gotta keep the kayak from go broadside into a bridge piling in the ripping current.....I've rehearsed it over and over in my mind....but as you know..,when the fish makes that first leap....chaos ensues. 😳

It's addicting for sure. I'll be back at it again today. Keys tarpon have stole my soul.😃
                          The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

The Gator has landed.

The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Thanks for the tip. It helps to hear someone else explain it. Thanks!

I try to do all that but it's much more difficult in a kayak. At some point you've got to clear the deck of gear and cut loose the anchor line. Then you gotta keep the kayak from go broadside into a bridge piling in the ripping current.....I've rehearsed it over and over in my mind....but as you know..,when the fish makes that first leap....chaos ensues. 😳

It's addicting for sure. I'll be back at it again today. Keys tarpon have stole my soul.😃
                              Lol whatever you do, don't leave the rod in the rod holder on your kayak with the drag set tight. That's how you end up holding onto the side of the kayak trying to get back in it while getting drug to kingdom come by a 150+ lb mack daddy of a fish. Not that that's happened to me where you're fishing or anything...
                              -skunked

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.

Comment

It's on Again

Well....I busted my tarpon cherry tonight. It was "en fuego". We were lined up along the bridge and everyone jumped at least one. I stuck three and landed one....about 25 lbs....my first but I'll take it.

Black Hogys were the ticket although I did have a few hits on crabs and pinfish.
                                The Drifter

Follow me on Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X