Quick Gulf Trip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Gulf Trip

My buddy called me Sunday night and we decided on a spontaneous trip down to the beach. I packed a change of clothes and some snacks.

We got in early enough for a quick nap in the parking lot then got to fishing at 5am. Good wind coming a lot of multi species action. The kings where fairly small but I was able to get a keeper.

We caught some Spanish as well then the bite died down so got into some jacks and a few bonito. Later on a few bull reds where lurking around and some local instaposer kids showed up and where running around trying to get one when they started eating just running over peoples Rods and such. So we figured, "we ain't gone be outdone by some FL boys." I got wrapped on one but my buddy got a nice bull well over 50#, immediately the tourists flocked snapping pictures and the locals got all a tiff so we had to lower him back down before I could get a picture.

Day 2. I set the alarm for 430 them forgot to hit the ON button so we got there late and missed the kings. One guy caught 5 outta which one was only legal. No wind, A lot of schools but none got close enough to get a shot. A few poons came through with no takers and some Mahi came through. Of course we missed them trying to rerig and got somewhat outcrowded.

Bigger spanish where about. I must've missed 6-7 with break offs and inexperience. They would get close and turn last minute refusal. I couldn't figure out why the last minute refusal I asked one of the local guys he said "Clear water, no wind, they can see you line and don't follow through."

Took a little break on the beach working on my bikini lines and doing aquatics in the water, checking out the scene. I saw the wind pick back up thought I'd get a few more cast in before we left. Finally was able get into a nice Spanish.

Can't complain. Great food and met some nice folks. Got some good intel and learned some new techniques.

Bring sunscreen
    We are the music-makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams,
    Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams;
    World losers and world forsakers,
    On whom the pale moon gleams.

Nice Spanish Gout, any pictures of bikinis or 50# reds?
    RScott

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

Comment

Originally posted by RScott View Post
      Nice Spanish Gout, any pictures of bikinis or 50# reds?
      Didn't bring my camera or phone, my buddy took those of me and we where kinda in a hurry to get the red back in the water plus he was sweating like a ho in church, then the locals kinda flocked in on us after yelling at us to quickly get em back in. We saw a HUGE school probably 300-400 hundred swimming around with a few slots but they where very picky eaters the whole time.

Took some nice bikini shots of me in my pink banana hammock, 4 years running flounder champion , but I'll leave those for the ladies.
      We are the music-makers,

Comment

That sounds like a great trip. With all this rain ruining the hooch fishing for the weekend, I'm tempted to go down to the beach also but I think the beach will be rainy as well... =( Glad you got to go down before the bad weather hit.
        Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Originally posted by ChaChung View Post
          That sounds like a great trip. With all this rain ruining the hooch fishing for the weekend, I'm tempted to go down to the beach also but I think the beach will be rainy as well... =( Glad you got to go down before the bad weather hit.
          It’ll be horrendous with tourists this weekend but the weather should bring fish in.

Rain all day, keeps the googans at bay.
          We are the music-makers,

Comment

Months ago, my in-laws rented a place between Destin and Panama City. Of course, they rented it for this next week. Forecasts seem to think that Alberto will make land Sun night or Mon morning. Hopefully, we can get down there on Tuesday for a few days.

All that to ask, what's fishing like after a tropical storm/hurricane blows through? Is it worth the license fee? My best guess is that things will be stirred up and a lot of water coming down the rivers mean murky surf and blown out bays. But I have practically no experience fishing the saltwater.

Comment

Originally posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
              Months ago, my in-laws rented a place between Destin and Panama City. Of course, they rented it for this next week. Forecasts seem to think that Alberto will make land Sun night or Mon morning. Hopefully, we can get down there on Tuesday for a few days.

All that to ask, what's fishing like after a tropical storm/hurricane blows through? Is it worth the license fee? My best guess is that things will be stirred up and a lot of water coming down the rivers mean murky surf and blown out bays. But I have practically no experience fishing the saltwater.
              I was west of there near santa rosa, near the sound. Theres some good jettys where you'll be by the bridge (I think its called marler) that connects destin and okaloosa and st. andrews park (there are alot of parks with bay access) in PC has a few if I remember correctly. Should be some fat flounder in choctawhatchee this time of year, lotta reds and jacks. Theres some grass there for sure but don't know how bad it will be. Storm should bring in some good pier fishing and you don't need to get license I don't think, at least I never have.
              Last edited by GoutUnlimited; 05-27-18, 12:28 AM.
              We are the music-makers,

Comment

We ended up getting to our condo late Tuesday, after Alberto had blown through. I fished the surf Wednesday morning for maybe two hours and caught one ladyfish and lost something that broke me off quickly. I drove out to the Sandestin Orvis and talked with a guy there about wading flats for redfish. Thursday morning, I fished Choctawhatchee Bay until almost lunch. I spotted a small red, cast to it, and caught it within minutes of getting in the water. Caught another small fish just a few minutes later. I thought it was going to be gang busters all day, but I went fishless for a couple of hours after that. Then, in the last hour and a half I was there, I caught another red, a really nice sea trout, and four catfish. I fished the surf briefly Friday morning too, but didn't even see a fish except for the rays and one 3-4' shark. Once I saw that guy within an easy cast of shore, I decided I'd be done.

All in all, not an incredible trip fishing-wise, but it was a family vacation, not a fishing trip. I only had a box of different colored clousers, all in size 2. Blue over white or chartreuse over white accounted for every fish I caught. The morning when I really got away and waded the bay was by far the best and most enjoyable. Having only ever fished saltwater once from a pier with live bait, I feel pretty good about my DIY trip, most of which was done before the rest of the family was even awake in the mornings. Sorry, no pictures, since I was alone each time, wading, and I don't own a waterproof camera.

Comment

Glad you where able to get out. Oddly enough, I noticed alot of KY plates while down and met some nice musky lads. One of them managed to pierce a 1/0 treble hook through the skin on his index finger right on the knuckle while a lady fish flopped oddly on his hook. They ran over to me asking for pliers all a bloody.

I gave them my rusty pair and immediately he starts pulling on it barb and all. I almost passed out from the sight theres no way it was coming out but he kept pulling, I seriously got dizzy looking at him. I told him to mash the barb down then try. The pliers had ridges and the hook was big so the barb wouldn't go down all the way and he couldn't get a good maneuver with his left hand so he asked me to do it.

At this point the barb was in the skin so I had to pull it out again and I saw it miss against the skin first before pulling it back through the second exit hole but it was still not going anywhere.

I completely forgot my pliers had that cutting section then it hit me on what to do. I had to cut the hook below the barb but I would need to pull it out more still through the exit hole so I wouldn't cut any more skin.

It took a few minutes to cut it with the pliers and just watching the skin stretch while extending it out had me dry heaving like a bulimic. I was worried it was on a nerve but he took it like a champ and I saw them the next day and he was able to move it.

Those ladyfish according to the locals are the best live bait for reds. As my Chinese fishing buddy Jason who trained for Sushi in Japan for several years says, "RRadyfish, Rook so beautifurr, but taste so so ugrrry."
                  We are the music-makers,

Comment

How did I miss this? That's a heck of Spanglish, mayne.

Comment

Working...
                    X