St. Simons, Fishing the Flood tide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Simons, Fishing the Flood tide

September brings the flood tides to the St. Simons and the Golden Isles. This is when the tide is high enough to flood the high marsh. When that happens the red fish invade the short spartina grass and grub for fiddler crabs, with their tails waving in the air.

This month was the best I have seen it in years. Many of the fish are in the 18-21" range, which means they are from the spawn of 2016, which was the best in years. This doesn't mean numbers are back to where they were 7 years ago, but they are better.

Several times my anglers had a choice of 5-6 different fish in one pocket. While your casts are not necessarily long, they have to be accurate. We caught fish on black toads, black/purple crabs and the Stealth Bomber. Here are a few pictures from the last few weeks.

October brings another set of flood tides. I have evening trips open from October 3-7. Call and enjoy Classic, Southern, Fly Fishing for Red Fish.

The fish in the third photo has 16 total spots.

I can't ever get the photos to work. Try this and see if you can see the video: July-Sept Fishing
    Someone make a post and let me know whether or not you can see the video.
    Or go to my website fishing reports to see the photos: http://flycastcharters.com/fishing-reports-2
    Last edited by DavidEdens; 09-18-18, 11:48 AM. Reason: Trying to get photos to show
    Capt. Dave
    Fly Cast Charters of St. Simons Island, GA
    "Hunting Fish in the Marshes of Glynn"
    www.flycastcharters.com
    FFF Certified Casting Instructor
    Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide

Not seeing your links, Capt.

Comment

No pictures are showing up yet, Capt.
      “This is a brief life, but in its brevity it offers us some splendid moments, some meaningful adventures.”
      Rudyard Kipling, Kim

Comment

Working...
      X