No announcement yet.

DNR float tube fishing response - GA Parks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for following up on this. I personally won't be using a float tube, but its good to know information.
    BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! <

Exodus 29:18
    Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleJesse View Post
      ***UPDATE***

The statement below is from the manager of Vogel State Park, copied and pasted from his email this morning to me:

I received further clarification on the wearing of PFDs while using float tubes. You do not have to have it on, but you do have to have in the float tube with you. Anyone under the age of 13 must be wearing it.

As a safety professional and avid float tuber, who has completed two half barrel rolls in float tubes (2 events), I would encourage everyone to wear your PFD while in your tube. But, at the end of the day, we may lawfully use our float tubes in state park waters, if we had appropriate PFD's.

Thanks much for following up on this, and getting the straight scoop for us..I don't often use my tube in State Parks, but it seemed strange their use would be curtailed.
      Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Thanks

I recieved an email stating that the parl ranger at Vogel telling folks this had been informed correctly. I actually recieved an email apology for the misinformation by park staff as well!
        "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong."

www.thegeorgiafly.com

Benjamin VanDevender, ACI (Adaptive Fly Fishing Casting Instructor/TAG (Therapeutic Adaptive Guide)

Comment

It's' good to see that this issue has been resolved. I was taught in Alaska to not only wear the PFD but to carry a sharp knife to deflate the tube if you flipped over and couldn't get back up.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!

Comment

A government agency giving out misinformation? No way man!
            Message sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk

Buck Henry
            Simple Goat Herder
            Former NGTO President
            Hall of Fame Member

Comment

Originally posted by retiredmp View Post
              It's' good to see that this issue has been resolved. I was taught in Alaska to not only wear the PFD but to carry a sharp knife to deflate the tube if you flipped over and couldn't get back up.
              Msgt, I have been upside down twice, one at the bank in a round tube where my head went underwater but being immediately adjacent to the bank I kicked off a swim fin and was upright PDQ. It was July and I was wearing neoprene so the discomfort was really minimal and I finished the last 3/4 miles of the float and caught a few more fish.

Second time V-shaped Fishcat got sideways in moving water, tube attach via a casting apron. Head never got underwater, went downstream 140 ft. or so, head never went under, thought about my ripcord and did not find it immediately. Went back to kicking and clawing. November in Hooch with breathable waders. Very cold, the good news was I have a strong heart, no heartache. Total loss 3 wt. TFO and a $50 White River 5 wt. A friend sent me a very nice custom fly rod after hearing of the incident.

Having a knife is probably a good idea but it definitely depends on the situation. I will go with wearing the PFD everytime. U / V shapes are probably safer than round in Alaskan conditions.
              Last edited by UncleJesse; 03-01-18, 09:51 PM.
              Want to hear God laugh? Tell Him your plans.

Comment

Working...
              X