Stripers 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bigorangefan View Post
    I can't remember the day, but it was overcast and seemed to be the perfect day for surface feeding. I burned some gas looking and finally found this:

http://vid1208.photobucket.com/album...pskyfotcpp.mp4

I wish I could say that I caught one, but honestly can't. I probed the edges but did not want to catch a loon. It lasted for a while, but when it was over, it was over.

Hopefully I will catch one soon
    Cool vid. I haven't seen much surface activity myself. I did see some gulls for a short time but they never hit the water and flew away a short while later. Like most fishing, I think this is a game of perseverance and stick-to-it-ness.

Comment

• Out early and till Noon today without much action. Creeks seemed heavily stained, gulls inactive, and I did not mark any significant fish. Will try again Thursday. Lots of debris in the water, some of which you would NOT want to hit so be careful while you are running!

Comment

• looking for some starter advice on strippers. Going to start fishing the Chickamauga lake and river below the dam have fly fished for years just looking for a new challenge.

Comment

• Dang monsoons!!!

Before all this rain hit, I had a really good couple of trips... Now the entire north lake is blown out, majority of ramps are closed, and there is enough debris to make taking the boat out hazardous!

Up until the rain, I had found a school in the back of a larger cove and they were coming up like clockwork right before dark... Sometimes really well, other times just a few sporadic groups.

One of my better hour and a half trips yielded 8 hooked striper, 6 being landed. Not much on size that afternoon, but the next trip produced a few better fish.

All fish were caught on a grey over white clouser with hot pink flouro fiber throat, a la Cowen's Somethin' Else flavor. Fished on an intermediate line. Not many birds around to help locate the fish, I guess because it's been such a mild winter up north.

Few pics...

"I like onion rings, pop tarts, jazz recorder, and fly fishing..."

--Turd Furgeson

Comment

• I got out with Groundpounder on Tuesday 12/22, a day before the monsoons arrived, you gotta love having the lake to yourself on a weekday.

I had a great day, putting 6 stripes and a spot in the boat, all on a #2 Space Ghost eFly, including a couple 10 pounders.

Not to be outdone, Todd got into a monster to finish out his year!

Ha! Sorry Todd, I couldn't resist

Anyway, it was a great way to finish out 2015.

FM
            The tug is the drug!

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder

Comment

• First, second and THIRD striper ever for me today. I went out to [censored] creek today hoping to finally get a striper on the boat. I got there around 8:00 and there were already a number of boats trolling around. First fish didn't show up until around 10:00 but then two and three came right after. I was using [censored] and that worked well for me. Hopefully I'll get a chance to make it out again soon. The larger two were on the plus side of 12 lbs.

DD F

Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

• Congratulations Jamie on catching your 1st 2nd and 3rd striper!
                I'm guessing the censored tackle of your post was a little more lively than a fly Still a big congrats! Nothing like catching that first striper!
                Guessing we need to start a 2016 striper thread now

Comment

• Originally posted by groundpounder View Post
                  Congratulations Jamie on catching your 1st 2nd and 3rd striper!
                  I'm guessing the censored tackle of your post was a little more lively than a fly Still a big congrats! Nothing like catching that first striper!
                  Guessing we need to start a 2016 striper thread now
                  The censored tackle was in fact NOT alive. I would find it difficult to cast using my 8 wt however. Given that there were about a half dozen boats in my general area all trailing at least 6 lines with live bait, I was happy to turn in a three fer. Were the fish higher up, I would have used the fly rod. They were all in the 20-40 ft range.

DD F
                  Last edited by Da Da's Fishing; 01-10-16, 12:27 AM.
                  Fly Fisherman - Part Entomologist, Part Meteorologist, Part Ichthyologist, Part Hydrologist, All Liar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Da Da's Fishing View Post
                    The censored tackle was in fact NOT alive. I would find it difficult to cast using my 8 wt however. Given that there were about a half dozen boats in my general area all trailing at least 6 lines with live bait, I was happy to turn in a three fer. Where the fish higher up, I would have used the fly rod. They were all in the 20-40 ft range.

DD F
                    Very nice, Da Da! I got out this morning with only a spot to show for it.

Comment

• Mac daddy of a day. How Farr did you search? Glad the Umbrella weather stayed away. lol
                      Dennis C...""Giving Stripers everywhere a bad day!!""

Comment

• Originally posted by skibum View Post
                        Mac daddy of a day. How Farr did you search? Glad the Umbrella weather stayed away. lol
                        I just Keep looking until My fish finder showed A lot of fish under me.

DD F

Comment

• Okay, I felt bad about hiding the fly that I used to catch those stripers, so I tied another one up and thought I'd put a picture up for you. Let me know if you need the recipe. Note you'll need at least a 10 WT, probably larger to cast it but it does well.

BCD

Comment

• That's a pretty neat lookin' set up, DD F! I think that's even better than a buffalo booger. Well done! I bow to my superior!
                            If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.

Comment

Working...
                            X