Doubled Up... But not Trout!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubled Up... But not Trout!

With the weather gloomy and the temps rising I've been fishing the lake more often than the Dam. Tied on a baitfish pattern and a squirmy worm dropper off the back with a slow but erratic retrieve. Early into the day I felt a strong tug that seemed more rapid and impulsive than the others. Setting the hook, I witnessed what I thought were two flashes under the water... I doubled up! Fighting these two fish on a 3 wt might scare others but my butterstick handled it well with its full flex and tippet protection. The fish were brought in within 15 seconds, they bit 10 yards from shore. I was surprised one of them didn't get off during the landing, which is what usually happens when someone doubles up.

It's not everyday you get a bass double!

I continued to fish through the day and landed some more decent specimens, the warm weather really turned them on, along with the turbidity.

Hope you guys have been able to wet a line regardless of the species.

Tight Lines,

-Sighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice fish.
    I love early spring lake fishing.
    Walking the shoreline while the water is low.

Comment

Thanks Swamp, I totally agree. Today's weather especially felt like the warmer season is soon ahead of us.

Comment

Sweet stuff there. Now is the time to start thinking about a trip to Vogel State Park. That is a great place for doubles with interesting combinations. I have had two trout, two bream, a bream and a trout, a bass and a trout etc.
        http://www.bigtflyfishing.com

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off

Comment

Dude. Nice man. Double bass must've felt real heavy.
          Hi my name is Charles and I'm a fishaholic.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith

Comment

Thanks for the info T, I haven't been to Vogel but I'll have to try it out! A combination of a trout and a bass as a double sounds way too good to pass up haha.

It had my rod bent over double Charles, but I was glad I got both of them in soon enough for them not to get into deeper water. Now I reckon the rod can handle some larger 3-4 lb bass if it really needed to haha.

Comment

Ahhh doubles what fun! Guess I will share this salty double lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

That is an awesome double Jakk! Must've been an awesome fight

Comment

Sighter, How do you like that Butter Stick? What model is that one in the pics? I just picked up two of them (6'2" 2wt and 7' 3wt). Had them since Christmas, and between the weather and obligations, I haven't been out yet. Hopefully going next weekend. Long overdue!

Comment

Originally posted by skimt127 View Post
                    Sighter, How do you like that Butter Stick? What model is that one in the pics? I just picked up two of them (6'2" 2wt and 7' 3wt). Had them since Christmas, and between the weather and obligations, I haven't been out yet. Hopefully going next weekend. Long overdue!
                    I have the 7' 3wt and absolutely love it! It's my go to rod for anything that's around the size of Smith's creek or smaller, though my bluelining rod is the eagle claw 6'6" fiberglass so I don't have to worry about breaking an expensive rod. I especially like using it on this lake because the action is so smooth and makes fighting the fish way more enjoyable. Hope to see a report with your butterstick in the future, I'm sure you'll feel the same

Comment

I totally will! Maybe we can form a Butter Stick club haha. I live downtown, and am always looking for someone to go fishing with. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to go out for a day!

Comment

Originally posted by skimt127 View Post
                        I totally will! Maybe we can form a Butter Stick club haha. I live downtown, and am always looking for someone to go fishing with. Shoot me a PM if you ever want to go out for a day!
                        Sounds like a plan, I'll shoot you a PM with my number and we can plan something out! As for the Butter Stick club, we might get some nasty looks from the Eagle Claw Crowd but it'll probably be out of jealousy

Comment

Originally posted by Sighter View Post
                          Sounds like a plan, I'll shoot you a PM with my number and we can plan something out! As for the Butter Stick club, we might get some nasty looks from the Eagle Claw Crowd but it'll probably be out of jealousy
                          I personally like to use nice gear when fishing. Whether its the fine mechanics of a reel or the fine craftsmanship of a rod I will always tell people the same thing... It is simply just a pleasure to use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Agreed, there's nothing like casting a well made rod... or at least I say that to justify my purchases to my gf 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

7' 3wt Butterstick on sale at Steep and Cheap. Here is the link for anyone interested in joining the club

Comment

Working...
                              X