No announcement yet.

Pre Spawn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...I have had a great deal of success using a gold floating Rapala on ultralite gear in ponds during the transition to Spring...let it sit til the ripples from its landing on the water subside...twitch it a few times, and see what happens...we are bound to have a March cold snap...not planting garden yet...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Yeah Jerry, keep this thread going..Always interesting how spawning in smaller ponds can vary so much, even when they are in relatively close proximity..
      Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

Check out your county's Parks & Rec's website....if there's water, there's fish.
        Last edited by Windknot; 03-04-18, 01:36 PM. Reason: Can't spel crap.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Comment

Got on the same pond today around 830 or 9 and immediately noticed the beds were much less defined and no bass were seen on the bed. Last weekend they were all over the crawfish jig but today they'd hardly touch it. Total numbers were down slightly from last weekend but we still boated a pretty good many bass, mostly on jerkbaits with some good fish busting top water as well.

Best fish today went 3lb 12oz.

Comment

That sounds like a pretty good day Jerry..The bass in our ponds are just starting to wake up..Certainly not on the beds yet, but every so often you can see them pinning some small bream up against the bank..They can be caught in the 'deeper' water (still only few feet deep) but not really in the shallows at this point..I'm hoping to get some time out there today..
            Tight lines!!

Doc

Comment

They were actively crushing topwater yesterday in my secret hideaway in the ghetto. Got some nice ones with the girls being bout full of eggs. I give it two weeks tops for this pond and they will be on bed.
              #JBNavy

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
              -Chinese Proverb

ďAt sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.Ē
              -Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
              -PH

Comment

...back when I used to bass fish Eufaula a lot, Tom Mann said the bass bedded when the oak leaves were the size of a squirrel's ear...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Wondering how this upcoming cold spell will affect the pond bass after that warm spell? It's gotta screw with the fish, I'd think, but I'm a big dummie...

Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... R. Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post
                    Wondering how this upcoming cold spell will affect the pond bass after that warm spell? It's gotta screw with the fish, I'd think, but I'm a big dummie...

Iíve always thought the fish screw with us.

Comment

Keep us posted when you get back out! I won't be back bass fishing til next weekend. Gotta trip already planned to hit the White this weekend.

So many fish, so little time.

Comment

I hit the pond (200 acre lake?) on Sunday, and we only saw 1 fish setting up a bed. But golly gosh darn, it was a tank! Maybe 5 pounds, a big one for that lake! (it's way over crowded) So I would say any of them that had moved up were pulled back into the channels and on points.

Comment

...when the big females start bedding, they will hit to kill a salamander or 3 finger bream near the bed...they don't eat , they just kill it and spit it out...critical to know because you have a few seconds to set the hook...after they drop eggs, the smaller males move in to guard the nest...that's when you pick up flabby-gutted females in slightly deeper water, still near beds , but off the beds...the males will hit anything that invades the space and they will consume the prey...

Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by Counslrman View Post
                            ...when the big females start bedding, they will hit to kill a salamander or 3 finger bream near the bed...they don't eat , they just kill it and spit it out...critical to know because you have a few seconds to set the hook...after they drop eggs, the smaller males move in to guard the nest...that's when you pick up flabby-gutted females in slightly deeper water, still near beds , but off the beds...the males will hit anything that invades the space and they will consume the prey...

Blessings!

Jimmy
                            Pro tip right here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

The changes in pressure every other day is not helping either. FWIW, if its a big un, it's probably a her rather than a him. If you can see beds and even better the fish on the bed, get something that will sink quickly with and let it sit until you cant stand it. Often they will just pick it up and move it out of the bed with no intention of actually eating it. if you have anything that can resemble a salamander, they will kill that with a vengeance.
                              Topwater bite shouldn't be far away

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkbauer View Post
                                Pro tip right here

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                                ...I really like the Zoom 6" or 8" in June Bug or Motor Oil shades...

...I use a #5 or #7 split shot 12" to 18" up the line and a 3/0 or 5/0 worm hook...when you cast it past the bed, and drag it slowly, the split shot makes a silt trail and then the salamander shows up..
                                Blessings!

Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                                X